mailto function does not open new message or populate sendto field

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

rkb2015

mailto function does not open new message or populate sendto field

Post by rkb2015 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:34 am

After upgrading to EPIM 6.52, the mailto: function when executed from a website does not open a new message window or populate the sendto field. What happens is the default start window opens such as the mail panel listing folders and associated emails and view panels. The previous version worked correctly. Please advise.

Also, I am using Windows 7 Pro. EPIM is default email client. Same result happens in Google Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer when clicking on an email address using the mailto function.
Last edited by rkb2015 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Max
Site Admin

Re: mailto function does not open new message or populate sendto field

Post by Max » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:38 pm

Hello,

please go to "Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Default Programs" and "Choose defaults for this program" to set up EPIM as default for "E-mail message", "MAILTO" and "Send email"
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Choose your favorite feature so that we could develop it more:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13483

a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:24 pm

Thank you, rkb2015, for this question!!!
Hello Max and rkb2015!
For many years I had troubles to make my portable programs (for example emailprogram Thunderbird, EPIM, Internetbrowser- Firefox - all portable!!)the default program for this use (email, internet). In fact, I did not succed in doing this (Windows 7, 8 and 10 I assume too), because Windows is not recognizing portable programs - they create no entry in the registry. But NOW, I was looking for the 55time for solution- and this time, I succeded!!

Here is the solution (for installed programs see Max´s solution - I allredy knew) for portable programs:

.) Make a directory for your portable program (for example: D:\EPIM) and copy the program (unpacked) into it. Start it, set the program up, make a new database..... - or you already have your portable EPIM ready in its own directory.
.) then you copy this directory to another directory (maka a backup-copy)
.) now delete the content of the original EPIM directory - D:\EPIM
.) install the DESKTOP-version of EPIM into THIS directory ( D:\EPIM)
.) delete the content of the directory where the installed version is ( D:\EPIM) - Now, Windows knows (belives) EPIM is in ( D:\EPIM) - but it isn´t
.) just copy your original EPIM portable data to its origínal directory!

Windows knows, EPIM is installed in this directory..... but it isn´t the installed version, but the portable version. and... IT WORKS!!

tobytommy

Post by tobytommy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:53 am

Hello,
I an noy using yhe portable version.
Thanks,
Jeff

manolo

Post by manolo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:41 am

a8907433 wrote:Thank you, rkb2015, for this question!!!
Hello Max and rkb2015!
For many years I had troubles to make my portable programs (for example emailprogram Thunderbird, EPIM, Internetbrowser- Firefox - all portable!!)the default program for this use (email, internet). In fact, I did not succed in doing this (Windows 7, 8 and 10 I assume too), because Windows is not recognizing portable programs - they create no entry in the registry. But NOW, I was looking for the 55time for solution- and this time, I succeded!!

Here is the solution (for installed programs see Max´s solution - I allredy knew) for portable programs:

.) Make a directory for your portable program (for example: D:\EPIM) and copy the program (unpacked) into it. Start it, set the program up, make a new database..... - or you already have your portable EPIM ready in its own directory.
.) then you copy this directory to another directory (maka a backup-copy)
.) now delete the content of the original EPIM directory - D:\EPIM
.) install the DESKTOP-version of EPIM into THIS directory ( D:\EPIM)
.) delete the content of the directory where the installed version is ( D:\EPIM) - Now, Windows knows (belives) EPIM is in ( D:\EPIM) - but it isn´t
.) just copy your original EPIM portable data to its origínal directory!

Windows knows, EPIM is installed in this directory..... but it isn´t the installed version, but the portable version. and... IT WORKS!!
The perfect solution for those who use the portable version. Thank you very much for your information. I have been able to solve my problem.