Related items

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Jon
Guru

Related items

Post by Jon »

Establishing a link to other items by using @ generally works well in 7.1 Pro and is a big improvement over its implementation in 6.58. But I am confused about some aspects. I have many tasks and a large contact list. If I am in the notes section of a task and start typing @A, I expect to see all entries in EPIM starting with or containing "A" for tasks, contacts, calendar items and perhaps notes and email(i don't use these). As I continue typing, the choices would become narrower. I get that. Yet when I start with @A, it seems that the contacts are there, but very few of the tasks. Why is this?

Also when I continue to type and complete the exact name of a task I know exists, the link is not established. Again, why not?

Thank you.

Jon
Jon
Guru

Re: Related items

Post by Jon »

Maybe I was not clear enough. I suppose my questions are these.

1. Are all the modules' contents supposed to be displayed when typing @ with some letters immediately following the @ symbol?
2. If the answer to #1 is no, then which modules are queried?
3. As described in my post above, not all of the tasks are listed. Why should this happen?
4. If I have a task to "Take out the trash" and it is not among those listed when typing "@Take" (no quotes), then typing "@Take out the trash" fails when trying to create a related link. This seems broken.

Jon

EPIM Pro 7.1 portable
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

As far as I can see Notes, Calendar, Tasks, & Contacts are queried, which means passwords, trash and email are not.

As for things not being listed... I've sat here for a good 10mins typing @anything I could think of in my database and every single thing came up, the only thing I noticed that didn't was calendar events that repeat themselves you only get the first option example you only get Thanksgiving 2016 but no Thanksgiving 2017.
Jon
Guru

Post by Jon »

Thanks MetalDrop, but I do not experience that. In fact, I went back to see if I could replicate your findings. Two days ago (I am still using 6.58), when typing @anything, I saw the matching contacts and some but not all of the matching tasks. Today I see only the contacts. I have tried this with Tasks, Contacts, and Calendar modules with the same results.
Jon
Guru

Post by Jon »

Nope, I stand corrected. I tried different criteria from what I used in my first post. That yeilded the results I described, namely only matches from the contacts module were appearing. When I used the original criteria, the results were as described. Contacts, and some tasks are listed. But even if I type in the subject of a task missing from the list, it does not link. There are no errors in my typing of the name.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Jon wrote:Thanks MetalDrop, but I do not experience that. In fact, I went back to see if I could replicate your findings. Two days ago (I am still using 6.58), when typing @anything, I saw the matching contacts and some but not all of the matching tasks. Today I see only the contacts. I have tried this with Tasks, Contacts, and Calendar modules with the same results.
If you notice any patterns or something I'm more then happy to help you look to find what what's happening, as only when we know what's really happening can the Devs do anything about it.

One thing you could try is making a new database, copying over some things that are not showing up for you and then sharing it and then I could help you look through it for any patterns/reasons.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Example screenshot:

1st result is a Calendar event
2nd result is a task
3rd is a note
4th is a contact
TakeAscreenshot_cr.png
TakeAscreenshot_cr.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
Jon
Guru

Post by Jon »

Thank you for testing and your explanations. I tried creating a blank database and importing tasks, calendar and contact information from my active database. I had the same results.

Jon
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Jon wrote:Thank you for testing and your explanations. I tried creating a blank database and importing tasks, calendar and contact information from my active database. I had the same results.

Jon

If there's no overly personal information I'd encourage you to share the new database. You should be able to attach it here as a zip file, or if that gives you to much hassle you can use any file hosting site and leave a link here.

Also good information to include is the language/keyboard layout settings on your computer in the past that has causes some unforeseen issues.
Jon
Guru

Post by Jon »

Thanks. The information I have cannot be shared as it would be a violation of HIPAA. The language used is English (US) and the keyboard is US standard - well laptop standard.

Deleting the ini file had no effect.

Jon
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Would you be willing to make a new database with a hand full of similar but fake data then?

All that really needs to be shown is one maybe two examples and that should be enough to start figuring things out.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Yes, correct. A couple of examples in otherwise empty database would allow us to quickly reproduce and fix the issue.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Jon
Guru

Post by Jon »

Kind of busy right now, but I will see what I can do.
Jon
Guru

Post by Jon »

I quickly made a new database, but with far few items and without the complete records of my main database. In other words, all I did was create titles, but no other data. The linking works perfectly. One thing I did notice was that when the list of suggestions appears, there is a scroll bar for long lists. I NEVER see the scroll bar with my main database.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Jon wrote:I quickly made a new database, but with far few items and without the complete records of my main database. In other words, all I did was create titles, but no other data. The linking works perfectly. One thing I did notice was that when the list of suggestions appears, there is a scroll bar for long lists. I NEVER see the scroll bar with my main database.

Just to make sure you are aware that only a limited number of fields are searched when using the @ Linking correct?

For example in tasks only the title field is searched for the @"text"
So if you have a task called "House work" with a note or a custom field that says "Take Out Trash" then it will not show up under "@take"
For contacts I believe it is only the first and last name, calendar events are just the title, and notes are just the main note title (Leaf titles do not show up).