Network client for V7 - confusion in upgrade

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

salamander
Novice

Network client for V7 - confusion in upgrade

Post by salamander »

The comment made here is not complete enough to take action with. See: viewtopic.php?p=77825#p77825

We have been running V6 of EPIM on a small networked office system. We've resisted upgrading to V7 until now, but we're curious to see if the many issues reported by others with V7 would make it a regretted upgrade for us. Sooner or later, months or years from now, all EPIM users will doubtless voluntarily upgrade.

My confusion is that with V6 there were two installables: a stand alone version and a network version. The network version had in it a database engine (forgotten the name) which was installed on the master server PC, and the same installer was then installed in all client PCs, but deselecting the creation of a local database (and pointing to the server database), so that the entire network is running the same 'network' V6 installer with just one database.

I don't see a 'network' edition of V7. I just see one installable. So I'm wondering how we proceed from here to test-out V7 on just one client PC in our wholly V6 EPIM network without disturbing the other client PCs or the server, which will all continue to run V6. The V7 'test PC' must be able to link to the V6 server database, read/write to it, but there must be no possibility that a mixed V6/V7 system will damage the database.

See the confusion and concern? Has a V7 network package installer actually been developed?

Unless we can actually live-test V7 in our network EPIM, we are not in a position to decide if it is usable/reliable/worthwhile. V6 works perfectly.
MetalDrop
Guru

Re: Network client for V7 - confusion in upgrade

Post by MetalDrop »

the safest thing to do is hold tight and wait for an official network version.

However it is worth noting there is no difference between EPIM v6 pro and the network version other then the fact it is bundled with a version of the firebird server. You can download the firebird server here: http://firebirdsql.org/en/downloads/ EPIM v6 actually bundles a very old version of firebird and if you know what you are doing you I have ran EPIM on Firebird 2.5.6 with no issue, however if you are not experienced with running and trouble shooting an SQL server I'd highly recommend staying with the older version bundled with EPIM v6. Digressing that means when you use the network version to install the clients you are simply installing v6 pro.

So as long as you have a license that permits you the upgrade and the usage of network features v7.1 pro can be used as a drop in replacement for any client v6 network you are using as it is the same level of program on the client side. v7.1 can open read and write to the same database as v6, so it is possible to use both v7.1 and v6 together on the same network though people using v6 will not see v7+ only things in the database such as tags.

Backups of everything should be made of course, and remember until there is an official network version you are taking things into your own hands and should not expect grade A support if any issues do come up.

For all intent and porous unless there is a killer feature in v7.1 you think will sky rocket productivity the risks far out weigh the gain. EPIM 7+ branch is still evolving and the next version will likely change more of the interface which means you will be forcing your employees to adapt to a series of changes. Therefore from a training point of view it would be best to wait until v7.2 or v7.3 or however long it takes for the new UI to fully settle.
Max
Site Admin

Re: Network client for V7 - confusion in upgrade

Post by Max »

Hello,

Network version was renamed to "Business" and is available here: http://www.essentialpim.com/get-epim
MetalDrop is right, "Business" version is essentially usual Desktop Pro version bundled with Firebird server. We did not change Firebird version for 7.x version, thus you can install Desktop/Portable 7.x and use it with already installed Firebird server you have.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
salamander
Novice

Forced upgrade, and a success

Post by salamander »

Today, one user had a pop-up message on her system that said that EPIM needed a database update. I granted it under Admin. Was delighted (and hugely relieved) to discover a totally painless upgrade from 6.58 to 7.2. We'd been forced to do something that we'd put off for a very long time. It's not just a 'database update' (on the server), but actually installation of the 7.2 GUI on the client PC.

And 7.2 looks lovely. See my other post today about Word Processing, and you have a perfect system.