Single User - multiple devices - is this possible?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Octimius

Single User - multiple devices - is this possible?

Post by Octimius »

I want to self host - ideal scenario below

Database will be held on my homelab server (2012R2), and from there, via the Internet, I can sync with my Android phone, my iPad, my laptop, or my PC at the office, on any of those devices, wherever I am (so long as my server is available of course). I will be the only user - not multiple users.

Can I install on each and every device, then sync to my server in this way - which version do I need?

Or not what this software is designed to do?
Octimius

Re: Single User - multiple devices - is this possible?

Post by Octimius »

Looking to buy - so an early reply is welcome :-)
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

You could probably do that through setting up ownCloud/nextCloud on your server.

You'd host your own nextCloud and than you'd sync EPIM to it and use it as part of a sync ecosystem. (eg: There isn't an iPad version of EPIM so you'd have to use another client there.)

The answer to the last questions is "Not really". Overall universal syncing is not a major aspect of EPIM. EPIM is realistically a local database management program, that has limited syncing abilities.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Josealdo94
Novice

Post by Josealdo94 »

Yes it's definitely possible to use multiple devices as a single user.
Octimius

Post by Octimius »

So, I can do as suggested above? Install a network server version, then install EPIM onto several devices (laptop, PC, Android) which would all look to the database on the server for sync purposes?
horst
Guru

Post by horst »

Octimius wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:43 pm So, I can do as suggested above? Install a network server version, then install EPIM onto several devices (laptop, PC, Android) which would all look to the database on the server for sync purposes?
In short, NO
Octimius

Post by Octimius »

Right. Thank you. I will need to look for an alternative.
Wolfenduggo

Post by Wolfenduggo »

Many other programs allow single user on multiple devices as long as they aren't all running. It should be a bit easier to do this I would imagine, but it's not always the case.