Why you DON'T like EPIM?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Re: What? No Mailing Lists???

Postby tesro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Uhhhhh... I'm a paid subscriber (Help page says I have E Pro 5.03) but I see no "Mass Mail" option!

Selec contacts and see "send newsletter..."
Windows XP sp3 EssentialPIM Pro 6.0 Portable and Desktop
Wolfgang AT-AS53N Android 4.1 EssentialPIM 3.5 beta
User avatar
tesro
Expert
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:35 pm
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby Georgo2010 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:32 pm

What's wrong in EPIM:

1/ After repeated exporting messages EPIM does not remember last used folder (as in the case of export tasks or events from calendar)!
2/ Is not possible to save all items/messages from database/all accounts. The choice with export messages are missing in the context menu!
3/ They are missing confirm dialog before clear sync data (in database management) and/or sync (in settings)!
4/ During delete events with repetition show me confirm dialog for every this item instead of show confirm dialog for delete all/selected items only once.
During delete messages are missing the confirm dialog (in case delete tasks is it OK)!
5/ Is not possible to select more then only one folders for delete or export items (especially more folders with messages).
6/ There is no mechanism for automatic SMTP servers (in a diverse environment, e.g. at home, at work, at school, in the library, something like plug-in SMTP Control for Mozilla Thunderbird)
7/ Users can´t change skin gui or create own, default skin looks obsolete.
8/ No external expansion plug-ins (like in Mozilla Thunderbird, Total Commander, etc.).
Jiří Humplík
EPIM betatester & Czech translator
EPIM CZ support page: http://www.epimcz.wbs.cz

Win7 SP1: EssentialPIM Pro Portable 6.0,
Android 4.1.2: aCalendar+ instead of EssentialPIM 3.5
User avatar
Georgo2010
Guru
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:20 pm
Location: Czech republic
Has thanked: 29 times
Have thanks: 28 times

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby ypim » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 am

Georgo2010 wrote:What's wrong in EPIM:

1/ After repeated exporting messages EPIM does not remember last used folder (as in the case of export tasks or events from calendar)!
2/ Is not possible to save all items/messages from database/all accounts. The choice with export messages are missing in the context menu!
3/ They are missing confirm dialog before clear sync data (in database management) and/or sync (in settings)!
4/ During delete events with repetition show me confirm dialog for every this item instead of show confirm dialog for delete all/selected items only once.
During delete messages are missing the confirm dialog (in case delete tasks is it OK)!
5/ Is not possible to select more then only one folders for delete or export items (especially more folders with messages).
6/ There is no mechanism for automatic SMTP servers (in a diverse environment, e.g. at home, at work, at school, in the library, something like plug-in SMTP Control for Mozilla Thunderbird)
7/ Users can´t change skin gui or create own, default skin looks obsolete.
8/ No external expansion plug-ins (like in Mozilla Thunderbird, Total Commander, etc.).


1, 3 and 4 are features which can be implemented with nearly no effort - and these are things which make the users life easier.
8: would be really really great - but who will develop such addons/plugins? To include a plugin-system will be much work.
7: I like the skin. Also here: Much work - and who will make the skins?

For me it's much more important that this is fixed: end recurring appointment without losing exceptions http://www.essentialpim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13152
ypim
Guru
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:40 am
Has thanked: 18 times
Have thanks: 7 times

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby Georgo2010 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:25 am

ypim wrote:1, 3 and 4 are features which can be implemented with nearly no effort - and these are things which make the users life easier.
8: would be really really great - but who will develop such addons/plugins? To include a plugin-system will be much work.
7: I like the skin. Also here: Much work - and who will make the skins?

For me it's much more important that this is fixed: end recurring appointment without losing exceptions http://www.essentialpim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13152

Hi ypim,

ad 1,3,4: exactly, I agree
ad 7: Simpler skins (change background/font colors and shadowing) can make users in skin editor - It is currently only idea to next versions
ad 8: I was thinking of the possibility to use additional files (similar as dictionaries) with information about own message ruls, account settings (automatic configuration POP3, IMAP and SMTP servers during creating mail account) not plug-ins (with new features, new buttons, behavior change)
Jiří Humplík
EPIM betatester & Czech translator
EPIM CZ support page: http://www.epimcz.wbs.cz

Win7 SP1: EssentialPIM Pro Portable 6.0,
Android 4.1.2: aCalendar+ instead of EssentialPIM 3.5
User avatar
Georgo2010
Guru
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:20 pm
Location: Czech republic
Has thanked: 29 times
Have thanks: 28 times

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby Vex » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:41 pm

I actually DO LIKE Essential PIM, but unfortunately I can't use it because it lacks some ESSENTIAL functionality described below.
I'd like to give you some feedback, but I'm not sure this forum section is the right one to write. Anyway, here you go:

Essential PIM 5.5 RC2 Free (EPIM)
OS: Windows 7 65bit Polish UI

I. Mail module improvements:

1). Add an option to warn before sending an email with NO theme!;

2). Add an option to ask the email recipient for the confirmation of the delivery;

3). Better filtering and sorting options for emails (just like in Thunderbird);

4). Add another layout for emails: Vertical View (like in Thunderbird);

5). [VERY IMPORTANT FEATURE] easier setup of a new email account:

Mozilla Thunderbird and Opera are much better in this field. This is ESSENTIAL functionality and when it doesn't work as expected, why one should use the software? I successfully configured 3 email accounts (IMAP) with Thunderbird 17.02 and Opera 12.14 but I managed to configure only one (partially!) with EPIM 5.5 RC2.

Detailed description of the problem:
a) My GMAIL account shows the following status:

"Unable to execute command, wrong connection state; Current connection state: Non Authenticated."
However, I've used exactly the same configuration options to set it up with Thunderbird and Opera and it works there!

b) The second AOL.COM account shows the following status:

"Error connecting with SSL.
error: 1408F10B:SSL
routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wversion number"

Note that another email account on AOL.COM reported exactly the same error but I've finally managed to configure it manually (I tried many times and finally succeeded so that I can check my mailbox but when I try to send an email it fails - AUTHENTICATION ERROR).
Afterwards I tried to configure the second one AOL.COM account the same way but it doesn't work! Is this a BUG?

Proposed solution:
EPIM should keep configuration settings for most popular email service providers in its own database to simplify the process of the new account creation just like it works in Thunderbird.

This is the fourth time I've tried to use EPIM and its email client still doesn't work as it should. I've considered to buy EPIM Pro for my company but I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird instead.


II. Predefined Keyboard shortcuts improvements.
6).
I'm a native Polish speaker. Default EPIM configuration doesn't allow me to write in Polish correctly.
Every time I try to write a letter with diacritic mark (eg. ą=ALT+A, ć=ALT+C, ś=ALT+s, ę=ALT+E, ó=ALT+o, ż=ALT+z, ź=ALT+X, ń=ALT+N) EPIM executes the commands defined in the Tools/Options/General/ (Keyboard) Shortcuts.

I have to disable all the predefined keyboard shortcuts with 'ALT+ letter' before using EPIM. Note that when EPIM is running I can't use the shortcuts to write the letters with diacritic marks with other apps too.
This issue tends to be very annoying.

Proposed solutions:
1) add an option to disable all keyboard shortcuts with one click to the Tools/Options/General/ (Keyboard) Shortcuts (seems very easy to do);
2) change the predefined keyboard shortcuts with 'ALT+ letter' to another ones.


III. Spell checking improvements
7).

Simplify the installation of the spell checking dictionaries.
I can download a desired dictionary from the website using the link provided, but where to extract the archive file with the dictionary?
There is no a Dict folder in the C:\Program Files (x86)\EssentialPIM. Why don't you provide necessary info with the program GUI?

There is enough space below the link to 'Download more dictionaries' in the Options\General\Spelling.

Sure, I can find the installation instructions on the bottom of the website:
http://www.essentialpim.com/get-epim/dictionaries
But what if I closed the browser after downloading a dictionary?

Ideal solution:
To avoid a user confusion, dictionaries should be downloaded and installed automatically just like it works in Opera or Thunderbird.

8) . Add an option to choose the default spell checking dictionary when more than one is installed (!);

9). Add an option to choose spell checking dictionary for selected paragraph (very useful);


I'm sad to inform that spell checking feature in EPIM works much worse than in Thunderbird or Opera and this decreases EPIM usability noticeably.


BOTTOM LINE / SUMMARY:

IMHO, taking into consideration the weaknesses mentioned above it's hard to recommend EssentialPIM as a default E-mail client for a production environments.
A PIM software without a good and comfortable E-mail client is like a car without wheels.


Essential PIM has great potential and encouraging GUI with some very useful and unique features, but it lacks ESSENTIAL features to work comfortably with it.

In fact, there are a few good free alternatives to cover its weaknesses: Thunderbird+Lighting extension, TaskCoach, ToDoList, KeyNote NF to name a few. On the other hand, Essential PIM covers all PIM features in one quite handy GUI and this is its main advantage over the most apps. However, its Email client definitely needs immediate improvements to compete with Thunderbird and co.

I hope it will get improved in the near future, because improving essential features is always more important than anding new bells and whistles. Priorities really matters to succeed!

Thank you very much for reading and considering.

For this message the author Vex has received thanks:
Georgo2010 (Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 pm)
Vex
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:34 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby Vex » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Well, I must admit that the problem described in no. I 5) seems solved. I didn't change anything in the email accounts configuration. The Essential PIM 5.5 rc 2 was running on the background, I was using modules other than Mail and after some time restarted Windows 7 64 bit twice. To my surprise, Essential PIM was able to connect to all the mailbox configured!!!

The current status for the mail accounts is 'On hold', except one Outbox folder, which has 'Read timed out'/'Append 1 message status'. I can't still send a message using this one AOL.COM account, but I can finally receive emails! Is this a bug?
Note that I can sent/receive emails with another AOL.COM account with no problems...

BTW. Yet another Mail improvement that needs to be done is zooming in and out of the emials with CTRL+ + nad CTRL + - just like it works with Thunderbird and Opera.
Sometimes the font size is too small to read it comfortably with EssentialPIM. Thanks.
Vex
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:34 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby slafochmed » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:13 am

I like how epim has evolved and I have recently bought a lifetime license because I noticed that I have used it since 2005. :)
Ok, I am here for complaining, so here is my rant:

When there is a new version I unzip and copy over my database and dictionaries.
I do the options but I always forget that you use the shortcut
Control Shift T for something I do not remember, but it is annoying me because
this is a common shortcut for Firefox, to restore a closed tab.
It is almost like putting a shortcut to overwrite Control Alt Del or alt tab or something. :cry:
slafochmed
Novice
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 10:42 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby Max » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:59 am

slafochmed wrote:I like how epim has evolved and I have recently bought a lifetime license because I noticed that I have used it since 2005. :)
Ok, I am here for complaining, so here is my rant:

When there is a new version I unzip and copy over my database and dictionaries.
I do the options but I always forget that you use the shortcut
Control Shift T for something I do not remember, but it is annoying me because
this is a common shortcut for Firefox, to restore a closed tab.
It is almost like putting a shortcut to overwrite Control Alt Del or alt tab or something. :cry:


What if you change the shortcut- that should be remembered even after installation of a new version.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Choose your favorite feature so that we could develop it more:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13483
Max
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16537
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:39 pm
Has thanked: 40 times
Have thanks: 159 times

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby Max » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:53 am

Vex wrote:The current status for the mail accounts is 'On hold', except one Outbox folder, which has 'Read timed out'/'Append 1 message status'. I can't still send a message using this one AOL.COM account, but I can finally receive emails! Is this a bug?
Note that I can sent/receive emails with another AOL.COM account with no problems...


It is a matter of SMTP server settings. Just go to Tools->Account Settings-> Edit and edit sending SMTP server settings. According to this page http://email.about.com/od/accessingaolm ... ttings.htm
settings are:
SMTP server: smtp.aol.com
SMTP port: 587
encryption: ssl
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Choose your favorite feature so that we could develop it more:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13483
Max
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16537
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:39 pm
Has thanked: 40 times
Have thanks: 159 times

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby rickforet » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Really good work ! But not workable for me.

Unusable 2 way syncro. I've tried it between my PC and my Android phone. the fact is when I crate a note with a table or hypertext, that doesn't appear at all in the Android version. And the bad thing is when I make a change in this note on Android, after the next sync, the table and all the Hypertext will disapear completely on the PC version. So for me, this 2 way sync is totally unuseful.

Can I suggest :
    to have a tab, in tasks form, to show all the subtasks for this particuliar task ?
    to have a tab, in contacts form, to show all the associated items (tasks, calendar items, notes)
    To have the possibility, in the attachments tab, to put also internet or email links and Item links.

I'm still get a try on this software after a few years. So I will come back again to see next versions. I really like the software but, for now, these things are missing to fits my needs.
rickforet
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:32 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby Georgo2010 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:07 am

rickforet wrote:Really good work ! But not workable for me.

Unusable 2 way syncro. I've tried it between my PC and my Android phone. the fact is when I crate a note with a table or hypertext, that doesn't appear at all in the Android version. And the bad thing is when I make a change in this note on Android, after the next sync, the table and all the Hypertext will disapear completely on the PC version. So for me, this 2 way sync is totally unuseful.

Can I suggest :
    to have a tab, in tasks form, to show all the subtasks for this particuliar task ?
    to have a tab, in contacts form, to show all the associated items (tasks, calendar items, notes)
    To have the possibility, in the attachments tab, to put also internet or email links and Item links.

I'm still get a try on this software after a few years. So I will come back again to see next versions. I really like the software but, for now, these things are missing to fits my needs.


Hi Rickforet,

I understand your anger (I also lost the important content, so it is important to regularly back up), but you must understand that synchronization (via Google/wi-fi network) supports only plain text. I therefore recommend a temporary solution: set only 1-way sync from PC to phone, very important notes (marked as private) do not synchronize.

It would need to some way to work out how don´t destroy the original added context of notes (eg. information about formatting, embedded objects) in the EssentialPIM during synchronization changes - suggestion: stored separately, or get inspired competing products that enable this feature..
Jiří Humplík
EPIM betatester & Czech translator
EPIM CZ support page: http://www.epimcz.wbs.cz

Win7 SP1: EssentialPIM Pro Portable 6.0,
Android 4.1.2: aCalendar+ instead of EssentialPIM 3.5
User avatar
Georgo2010
Guru
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:20 pm
Location: Czech republic
Has thanked: 29 times
Have thanks: 28 times

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby austingrd » Sat May 25, 2013 2:33 pm

Calendar View and having the ability to zoom in would be a good one. Image
austingrd
Experienced
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby Max » Mon May 27, 2013 1:34 pm

austingrd wrote:Calendar View and having the ability to zoom in would be a good one. Image


You can change the scale of the Calendar Day and Week view
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Choose your favorite feature so that we could develop it more:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13483
Max
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16537
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:39 pm
Has thanked: 40 times
Have thanks: 159 times

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby czs » Wed May 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Why I don't like EPIM?
I have tested it and won't use or buy it (so far) for a number of reasons:

1. When syncing with Google or Palm or others, I cannot select the calendars or categories I am syncing with. EPIM always syncs everything.
I would rather select certain categories or calendars.
For example: I have imported various calendars of other persons in Google Calendar, just to see if they are available.
Usually, their calendars are inactive (invisible), I only make them visible as required.
I'd rather not sync them all to EPIM.

2. When syncing with other calendars (Google/Palm etc.), I cannot select a time window. Some people have the habit to
keep all their old entries and have future entries for decades. I would rather sync entries of a certain time window
(a few months in advance e.g.). See also no. 1.

3. Poor Palm sync: No Hotsync when EPIM is running, no Palm categories support, Problems with password protection and
Palm Hotsync, no sync with Palm desktop.

For a few of those points, you might get some inspiration from Companionlink sync software which does sync better
(it is not a PIM software, however).

Even if you think no. 3 does not matter and you do not care for Palm OS users, there are still no. 1 and no. 2
that apply to sync with other targets as well. I might test EPIM once more when those two have been fixed.
czs
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 11:07 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Postby jcnic » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:49 pm

It appears to be a powerful program, with many great features, however it is problematic for me because I can only open emails left on EPIM desktop, cannot read EPIM email stored in folders. And occassionally it will not open unless I choose a database to open which may be a previous database, and sometimes I lose a days worth of email because I cannot find the correct database. It is problematic.
jcnic
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:43 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest