Problem Synchronizing EPIM<->EPIM Android

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

EFvanGelder
Guru

Problem Synchronizing EPIM<->EPIM Android

Post by EFvanGelder »

I have a bit of a problem synchronizing between EPIM on my laptop, and EPIM Android.

I have:
One WiFi network
Two computers with EPIM r7.20 installed : One desktop (Win10 Pro) and one laptop (Win10 Home)
Two Android devices : One tablet and one smartphone

If I switch on the Desktop, both android devices find the desktop with EPIM installed and running on it, and synchronize with it flawlessly.
If instead I switch on the laptop, neither of the android devices is capable of finding the laptop with EPIM installed and running on it, so neither of them is capable to synchronize, automatically nor manually.

Obviously, the problem lies with the laptop then, as both Android devices can sync with the desktop and none of them can sync with it through Wifi.
So, logically, I'm looking for the cause at the laptop. Of course, the network connection with Wifi is present. Connection with Internet is present. I did try switching off both virus scanner and firewall, to little use: The android devices wouldn't sync.
Yet, using USB tehtering, I can sync at least my smartphone though, even with the virusscanner and firewall switched on.

So, what prevents my laptop from syncing with Android devices? I'm puzzled. Anyone bright ideas I should, but don't have? :D
With kind regards,
Erik Franciscus van Gelder
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem Synchronizing EPIM<->EPIM Android

Post by admin »

Please check if your laptop uses a different port number for synchronization than your desktop computer does. You can check/change that by clicking on File->Tools->Options->Synchronization->Your_Android_Device.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
EFvanGelder
Guru

Post by EFvanGelder »

Thanks for the quick reply.
I checked the port, but that wasn't the cause.

Apparently, the problem is NOT with EPIM, but in infrastructure, though it keeps puzzling me.
Yesterday, I dragged my laptop and the android devices to the office. Nothing changed to the configuration, except I connected to another WiFi network. The laptop and android device synchronized just fine there.
At home again, I connected to my own WiFi network, and although every network dependent application, including access to internet, synchronizing EPIM with google, printing to a network printer, all that seems to work perfectly, EPIM just won't synchronize between laptop and epim devices.
Subsequently, I connected my laptop to my network with a UTP cable. Now EPIM does synchronize. So, apparently, bridging EPIM traffic from my laptop from WiFi to network fails, when EPIM attempts to synchronize, while traffic to the internet is bridged OK.
I'm definately not a network expert, and switches have become quite complicated these days. So I will be puzzled for some time, but the good news is: the problem is most likely not caused by EPIM itself, but must have an external cause (infrastructure), as synchronizing through other wifi network infrastructures works like a charm.

Thanks for the support anyway, and, though the post has become a bit 'off topic', as the problem is not EPIM related per se, I would appreciate if anybody has a bright idea on how I can solve the WiFi problem at home.
With kind regards,
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Will there be any difference if you have your desktop PC on or off at a time you try to sync with your laptop? Also, what's the error message you get when you're trying to use the manual connection method?
EFvanGelder
Guru

Post by EFvanGelder »

There is no difference actually. In a good working environment, EPIM Android finds all PC's running EPIM and lists them, enabling the user to choose from witch it has to be synchronized. In my environment, I see only one if both machines turned on: the desktop.
The Android device with EPIM running, connects to the network through WiFi.
The desktop connecteds to the network by UTP cable only (not through WiFi), and can be foud by EPIM.
The laptop connects to the network by WiFi (same as the Android device) and cannot be found by EPIM.
Other than with EPIM, the laptop has connection to the network and other network devices (printer), and has a connection to internet.
If I connect the laptop to the network by UTP cable, the Android device finds EPIM on the laptop and synchronizes with it.

Strange eh? I would expect synchronizing in the bridged mode (one device connected by cable, the other by WiFi) to be more difficult, but that's actually the case where it works fine. In the more simple situation, where both Laptop and Android devices are connected to the same network on the same way (both through WiFi), EPIM on the Android device is not able to find the host machine. Although both host and client (laptop and Android device) connect to all other network related services (printer, internet, ...)

Furthermore, at the office, same laptop and same android device are connected to the network there, through Wifi. There, everything works perfectly.

So, I'm still pretty sure, that there's a problem in my network configuration somewhere, rather than EPIM is causing the problem. EPIM is merely suffering from it. Coincidentially, EPIM is the only application suffering from it, causing me to suspect EPIM first as the cause of the problem, unrightfully, as it appears now..... Still, as EPIM is the only application suffering from this, it will be still interesting to find the cause and reason why only EPIM is impacted.
With kind regards,
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Then this might be related to your router's settings. Which ones, however, I'm not sure :( I'd first check the "port forwarding" option and go further from there then.