moved to pro forums

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

SomeOneSpecial
Novice

moved to pro forums

Post by SomeOneSpecial »

moved to Pro forums ignore me
Last edited by SomeOneSpecial on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SomeOneSpecial
Novice

Re: Backups not happening

Post by SomeOneSpecial »

I'm really worried about consistent backups, does anyone have any ideas?
MetalDrop
Guru

Re: Backups not happening

Post by MetalDrop »

Since you are using a "Network" now called "business" edition of EPIM, I assume you are using it on a network.

If you are logged into the system as a standard user the backup now option will be disabled.
Their may also be other strange side effects as well if you try and setup backups using a standard account.

The best way to setup backups on a network/business edition is to it from the SYSDBA account or standard offline mode on the host computer.

Also note that Backups are not made if EPIM is not using the database. So if you don't use a database for 3 days you will be missing 3 days of backups.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
SomeOneSpecial
Novice

Re: moved to pro forums

Post by SomeOneSpecial »

Thank you for the reply, I'll check it out.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Well I feel silly, my other reply to this thread somehow wound up on the wrong thread...
Anyway:

It seems some of the documentation indicates that if an administrator account is not kept running on the host systems backups are unreliable and a 3rd party backup program is recommended.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
SomeOneSpecial
Novice

Post by SomeOneSpecial »

Thanks MetalDrop, that's what I needed to know. I didn't know if it was configured incorrectly or I just needed to back it up myself.

Using the business edition through firebird, do you know if there is an issue with backing up the epim file while EssentialPim remains open? I don't want any corruption in the backups if I can avoid it.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

If it's just open you are fine, if it's in use and activity being used you may have a small risk of some damage. If a tool tries to backup the file directly. The reason for this is because if you happen to backup the file at the very moment the file is being updated it could cause damage to the file. So it would be best to do it on on off hours if you use a direct backup tool like a syncing program.

If you are using a connected database tool to make your backups then there's usually very little risk.

One of the recommend ways to backup firebird databases by the firebird project is to use the nbackup command line tool using the -D on command. https://firebirdsql.org/manual/gbak.html