Dropbox confirmation window

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

trb
Novice

Dropbox confirmation window

Post by trb »

I am using Essential PIM Pro V 7.22. However, this problem is not new to this version. My operating system is Windows 10 Home with all updates current.

Whenever I synchronize using Dropbox, the synchronization works fine. My question is that whenever EPIM saves to Dropbox, such as when I do it manually by clicking Save to Dropbox under the File menu, I have to confirm click yes on a confirmation box (see screen shot attached.)

I would like to be able to give the program permission to overwrite the file without asking me each time.
Attachments
dropbox confirmation box.pdf
(46.82 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Max
Site Admin

Re: Dropbox confirmation window

Post by Max »

This might be happening if EPIM thinks something has changed the file in DropBox as well. If you are sure that's not what's happening (i.e. there is no other program that's modifying the file), please use Tools-> Options-> DropBox, move database out of Dropbox, look inside \Dropbox\Apps\EssentialPIM Databases\ folder and erase all the files. Then you can try start using DropBox again.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
trb
Novice

Post by trb »

Thanks, Max. I tried what you said, but it still does the same. This is a minimal problem and not worth anymore of your time. Thanks for writing such a wonderful program.
AndyJ

Post by AndyJ »

Actually this is a more annoying problem. Prior to the recent updates I could close down my computer and EPIM would upload my database. Now everytime I shutdown my computer hangs waiting for the EPIM 'file has changed' dialog. I either have to force a shutdown and loose my database updates for the day or stop the shutdown and manually answer the dialog.

If you want to persist with this behavior, I'd appreciate it if you added an option to allow the old behavior.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

we can not reproduce the "overwriting dialog" on our tests. Neither when using File-> Save to Dropbox nor when shutting down Windows. There must be something that actually messes with the file and DropBox gives us a different "delta change" for the file (meaning it was changed). Any application having access to your DropBox and the EPIM folder on DropBox can do that.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
trb
Novice

Post by trb »

One interesting thing that might be a clue is if I save my epim data file in a folder in Dropbox, use the Dropbox desktop app to sync the epim folder with my computer, and then have EPIM access the data file on my computer rather than syncing directly from Dropbox the problem goes away.

With regard to the problem that Andy and I are having syncing directly from Dropbox, I made sure that the folder that the epim file was in was not downloading to any computer. I only accessed EPIM from one computer. (However, the program is installed on more than one.) I still got the problem. In addition, if I opened EPIM and then immediately did file, save to dropbox, I still got the same overwrite dialog.
AndyJ

Post by AndyJ »

I can confirm this behaviour and that I have EPIM configured to access DropBox directly. I have now set EPIM to auto sync every 5 minutes and even if I haven't made any changes for hours, I still get the 'file has changed' dialog on shutdown.
AndyJ

Post by AndyJ »

I've just started using EPIM again after several months and am now fighting this issue again. What I would ideally like is an option (under Tools->Options->Dropbox ?) that will restore the old behavior of just writing the database back when EPIM exits. From my point of view this doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to implement but would make my life much easier. I'm happy to take the risk of some unexpected interaction, as it worked perfectly for me in the past.

Currently, every time I shutdown a computer it hangs waiting for the 'Confirm overwrite message' forcing me to stop the shutdown, close EPIM and then shutdown the computer again. Other tray apps like Dropbox, Skype etc don't exhibit this behavior they just sync themselves and exit.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello Andy,

when exiting, EPIM Dropbox integration should not be showing 'Confirm overwrite message', unless the file actually was modified meanwhile by other EPIM installation or other application that has access to DropBox.
I would suggest to:
- go to Tools-> Options-> DropBox-> Stop using DropBox
- then close EPIM and rename the database *.epim file
- then open the file in EPIM again, go To Tools-> Options-> DropBox-> Start using DropBox

If that does not help, please check the list of applications having access to DropBox- it may be that one of the is badly written and modifies files without need.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
AndyJ

Post by AndyJ »

Hello Max,

Thanks for your last message. I saved my data file locally and then deleted everything from Dropbox. Using the New->Dropbox file option, I created a new data file in Dropbox and then imported my data from the local copy. After this everything seems to behave as you had suggested it should and I now longer have any problems shuting down the computer.

Thank you for your help and patience! I am once more a very happy user.

Andy