gds3225.dll?

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

jsc
Guru

gds3225.dll?

Post by jsc »

The latest downloads of EPIM Pro Portable 7.23 contain a new file "gds3225.dll". It seems to cause some problems in the contact log since when I first fired up EPIM Pro Portable, using the "Wide" format, when I clicked on a contact, most of the time nothing would show in the contact window in the lower part of the screen. After I little playing around, I renamed the gds3225.dll to gds3225.dl_l, preventing the file from loading. Then everything worked as it should.

My guess is that gds3225.dll does not belong in the Pro Portable distribution, ie, it's a mistake??
tesro
Guru

Re: gds3225.dll?

Post by tesro »

Here it is called gds32.dll and its a file that is in almost all versions. I don't have any problems with it.
Windows 10 EssentialPIM Pro 8.6.1 Desktop and 8.6.1 Portable
Sansung Galaxy a20 Android 9 EssentialPIM 5.7 beta 2 pro
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

Maybe gds3225.dll is included by Astonsoft by mistake, but I guess not.
I think they have included this to solve other problems with monitors or screen resolution.

The gds3225.dll is now for the first time included in the download (in a silent release from 25 Feb.). I guess that is the reason Tesro only has the gds32.dll file. I too had only the gds32.dll and did not have any problems with 7.23 portable pro. Because I want to use (or test) the newer versions I rename the previous 7.23 and replaced it with the new version from 25 February. Also I downloaded the new gds3225.dll file.

So far I can not reproduce the described problem. With both gds32 and gds3225 and the 7.23 pro portable version from 25 Feb. it all works fine. No problems with the display of the contacts. Not with the all fields tab or the contact tab.

But okay, good for you that you could trace the problem and solve it by renaming the new gds3225.dll file.
Maybe it helps other users that might have problems with the wide display of the contacts.

I guess we will get some confirmation or information from Max or Admin about the new gds-file.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

I don't think gds32 or gds3225 necessarily have anything to do with the display. They seem to be the Firebird server. gds32 is version 2.1.xxxx and gds3225 is 2.5.xxxx. So I'm wondering if there was a conflict with both loaded. (edit, gds3225 may not be loaded, because EPIM seems to look only for gds32.)

Renaming gds3225 to gds32 also works fine.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

We are gradually testing Firebird Embedded Database 2.5 (an upgrade from 2.1)- that's the reason you may see both DLLs in the installations. Please note that if database was created with FB 2.5, then it is not adviced to open it with FB 2.1 - EPIM handles that automatically (unless you delete DLLs, obviously)
FB 2.5 provides a much faster parallel writing performance, so IMAP mail and other synchronizations will work faster on fiber connection and smoother for the overall performance of the database and machine.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

Does gds3225 load with 7.23? EPIM complains about gds32.dll not being available, but it doesn't seem to care about gds3225. Or does it only load if it senses a FB 2.5 database is being loaded?
TumbleDoor
Guru

Post by TumbleDoor »

Is there are reason you're trying to move to 2.5 rather than leap frogging to 3.x branch which offers better multiple-core hardware and improve threading performance?
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

As mentioned, EPIM knows with DLL to use for which database.
Our tests show 3.x does not offer any significant improvement over 2.5 and using 3.x means big changes to database (=more potential issues). Actually, 2.1 -> 2.5 does much greater multi-threading improvement than 2.5-> 3.x. We see 2.5 as more balanced choice at this moment.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

Max, back to my original comments, with both dll's in the program directory, and both named as they exist in the zip file, when I load a database previously loaded with the 2.1 FB service (database management shows "7.23 (FB 2.1)" and only that version of EPIM!), I have a gui issue in the contact log. The file comes up and shows the listing, but if I click on a line in the list, I sometimes get nothing in the panel below, or the notes section only, or sometime just the contact information. If I click in the lower panel, then most of the time the listing for that contact entry shows properly.

If I take gds3225.dll out of the program directory or just rename the extension to something besides ".dll" then everything works correctly.

So EPIM does NOT seem to pick the correct dll. I'm just going to stick with that fix for now and see if anyone else has the same problem and it gets fixed.

4900 entries in the contact log, and when I first noted the problem, I loaded my csv list into a new database, so that is why database management only sees "7.23 (FB 2.1).
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

Maybe the above is not quite correct. Exited EPIM (using File>Exit!) deleted gds3225.dll, then restarted EPIM by double-clicking on my file. The file loaded, but the gui issues still remained. Something must be stuck in memory. Will reboot, so assume all is well unless you hear from me again. Sorry, I can't see anything in task manager that looks like EPIM or gds32/3225 or fbclient, so I can't tell what is going on.
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

After reboot, and with a disabled gds3225, I'm still having gui issues. As I click on each contact in the list, sometimes the details would show up in the pane below, and sometimes not. It was random. And this was again after recreating my database from new, from the original csv file. (and with gds3225 disabled, so it's a (FB 2.1) file.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

jsc, so I understand that's not related to FB 2.5 anyhow- we would like to reproduce the problem... Are there any specific steps?
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

Window's 7 Enterprise. 8gb ram. EPIM Portable 7.23 file date 02/25/2017. North American code base. I imported my UTF-8 encoded csv file to a new EPIM data base (with gds32.dll the only FB server in the program directory). Using "wide view" for the display, if I click on one of the contact lines with the mouse, one at a time, as I go through the list the behaviour will occur - watch the lower pane. Again, I might see several that look ok, then it starts to show just the notes or sometimes nothing. Then if I click in the lower pane, everything displays correctly for that record. But the behaviour continues if I go back to the list and start clicking on any line.

BTW, I'm using UTF-8 encoding because I have some German umlauts in names.
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

And I just rebooted, made an another database from my Sidekick exported data - made sure the UTF-8 encoding was correct (I have to bounce around between Excel 2013 and and old copy of UltraEdit version 10, and do it in the correct order).

After I imported the new data to a new database, and told EPIM not to display some fields that I'm not interested in, I clicked throughthe list like before. On the first screen of 16 entries, everything was okay. I scrolled down using the mouse wheel, and started clicking on lines again. Eventually, it started acting up again - sometimes okay, sometimes nothing, sometimes just the Notes field. Very random. When I clicked in the lower pane, all the data for that contact entry would display.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

jsc, a video and the file that you import might help us reproduce the problem, thank you! You can send it via PM on the forum or via ma@essentialpim...
Maxim,
EPIM Team