Related item concept

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

MetalDrop
Guru

Related item concept

Post by MetalDrop »

Figured I'd make a new thread so I'm just not hijacking the one in support... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18675

This would be my concept for related items given the most useful programs I have used with related item systems:

The basic points.

- Anything directly linked to a given item is a root level tree item.
- - Anything directly linked to that next item is a sub level tree item...etc

- Emails should be able to be linked as being related to things (This could be done with a note section on emails, which would also be helpful for keeping notes with specific emails, or special related tags)
- - Related links should be able to be added to emails via message rules for incoming and outgoing messages.

- Attachments should be able to be linked as being related to things (This could also be done via note section for attachments, which could be handy for other uses as well, or special related tags.)
- - Attachments should always inherently be considered directly related to their parent email/note...etc

- Tags should be viewable as expendable trees in related items so you can see all the items related to the given tags.

- There should be an option to show directly related items only for older computers as in larger databases this kind of system can be fairly demanding.
ReleatedItemConcept.jpg
Rose Ford
Guru

Re: Related item concept

Post by Rose Ford »

I've never used the related items system as I could never find any real use for it.
This I could see many users for and I could see it being worth my time to link things together properly, especially if the email & attachment integration happened.
FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

I use related items quite a bit as they are now, and this seem like a pretty solid way to improve them.
I especially like the the idea of integrating tags in the related item section. Because of how I use the related items I haven't found a good use for tags, however if they worked as I think they would work in this case they could very well take over and I could see myself getting to where I used them dominantly, and links more sparsely for more important and direct connections only.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

thank you for the mockups and explanations, your idea is clear. I also agree that Tags are undervalued in UI right now.
There are 2 major concerns with improving the "Related items"- avoid making UI more complicated (thus leave it still usable for everyone) and making it fast. As MetalDrop rightfully mentioned,- proposed changes will incur a heavy load on a database, thus requiring re-thinking of several architectural decisions. So we are looking into this, but the solution is not a quick one to implement.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

I'd say this would be a great way for not over complicating the interface, yes it will *hopefully add a lot more information to related items, but truthfully related items are not very "user friendly" as it is now. This system could actually make it a lot easier for new users to get into using related items as it seems to tie it in automatically with tags which are vastly more new user understandable then the concept of a hard linking system. Well also improving the hard linking system for the power users. Tags that show everything with that tag and so forth is something that I think the vast majority of users now days are going to be used to and even expect given that is how it works in many social media places. However hard linking related items is really a pretty abstract concept for many, everyone I introduce to EPIM eventually asks me about related items and after I explained to them how it works they loss interest very quickly, due to the amount of implied work involved to keep everything linked together nicely.

I won't comment much on the resources heaviness of it since I'd probably be wrong, but I do manage quite a few older and low income people who use EPIM so for reference sake the lowest quality computer any of them use is a Core 2 Duo with 4GB of ram (she's getting close to upgrade, and is the lightest user only using it for email and calendar). The rest of them now use at least a first generation i5 with 8GB of ram or better, windows 7 and commonly have databases sizes around 15~80MB.

I personally run a 3rd gen i7 with 16GB of ram, windows 7 and have the most outdated hardware amongst my tech friends and colleges.
tahoma
Guru

Post by tahoma »

I believe FireBrand2026 proposed a great concept, and I've been surprised myself by the limitations of the Tags. So I support his ideas, but I also believe that implementation have to take resources into account. I use EssentailPIM primarily away from office (4 Gb laptop on battery), and I'm a bit afraid of a EPIM that is constantly rebuilding its web of relations.

What about developing a Module 'Tags' that would list all the defined tags, but populate all relationships only once a user select on of the Tags? And then EPIM could create an overview as FireBrand2026 suggested? Would that not be sufficient as a start?