Insert key in Tasks and Notes

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

nodrog
Guru

Insert key in Tasks and Notes

Post by nodrog »

I'm a keen keyboard shortcut user but I have problems with being forced to use the Insert key to add a new Note or Task as a "Child".
On both my keyboards the key is next to the Delete key (on one it is above and on the other is beside it) and this has had unexpected consequences if I have not slowed down my input enough to check I am pressing the correct key each time.

I would be very relieved if I could change to another key or combination which was a bit safer :)
Thanks
Gordon

EPIM Pro latest version, Win 10 Pro 64 bit
MetalDrop
Guru

Re: Insert key in Tasks and Notes

Post by MetalDrop »

Main menu > Tools > Options > Shortcuts (in left hand menu)
nodrog
Guru

Post by nodrog »

Thank you. I tried this but it does not list Insert for Tasks and the shortcut alternative for Insert in Notes just places a "0" in the relevant label. When I tried to change it to another number it would only change to "None" and does not allow further editing.
Thanks
Gordon

VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

Ctrl+Left Arrow works in Notes, didn't test it in Tasks.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

nodrog wrote:Thank you. I tried this but it does not list Insert for Tasks and the shortcut alternative for Insert in Notes just places a "0" in the relevant label. When I tried to change it to another number it would only change to "None" and does not allow further editing.

You're right there doesn't seem to be a way to edit the insert shortcut in tasks.

As for the note insert key. Select the command in the list > Click the box at the bottom with the current command in it or "none" and then use your desired shortcut key combo. say Alt+Shift+1 all at the same time.
If it reverts to none then it likely means the shortcut key combo you tried is taken by another global program.
it is not advisable to use single key shortcuts unless they are special keys like "insert".
Note hitting backspace or delete will set the command back to none. You can not use backspace to delete part of a command.
nodrog
Guru

Post by nodrog »

Thanks for the additional info.

I have been playing with the PC keyboard and found the "0" key on the numerals pad reverts to "Insert" if I disable Num Lock, so that makes life easier on the PC. I think I'll stick with the Drop down menu on the laptop.

One suggestion for the program would be to place the Child option next to Add to Root if there would still be enough room on smaller displays. I presume the drop down was to conserve space.
Thanks
Gordon

nodrog
Guru

Post by nodrog »

Sorry VictorParkerPIM, I just found your reply. Thank you.
Unfortunately it doesn't work in notes or tasks for me:(
Thanks
Gordon