Clearing-out User logins from network clients

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

salamander
Novice

Clearing-out User logins from network clients

Post by salamander »

EPIM is being used in a small network system, with an EPIM server, and several EPIM clients. The EPIM server keeps an up-to-date record of active, licensed users.

During installation of client EPIM installation throughout the network, various experimental local user names may have been created, pointing not only to the server group database, but (sometimes erroneously) to local EPIM databases.

:?: Client EPIM installations will remember (all) previous log-in user names, even though those names may have been abandoned and are not currently live and registered on the server. This presents the client user with a confusing selection of 'experimental' log-in names, as well as the final 'correct' name - for example - on a client: mary.one, maryone, dave999, dave.99.9, dave99 and so on. Only one of these is currently registered on the server - but which one, without the Admin actually logging on to the server and identifying the live user name and verbally passing that info to his colleague sitting at the client computer.

If there is a new member of staff, and the Admin is not available, they will be disinclined to attempt logging-in (this is actually what happened and a day was lost).

Is there a way of flushing all redundant user names from a client EPIM pc? Are those user login choices actually stored on the client or on the server?
Max
Site Admin

Re: Clearing-out User logins from network clients

Post by Max »

Please find EPIM.ini file on your computer, open it and search the file for the logins that are no longer needed. I think they are stored there.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
salamander
Novice

Ambiguity

Post by salamander »

Your answer about serching for the epim.ini file on the client PC only half answered my question.

As you can see from the attached, the data in the ini file is not human readable. Conversely, the user names, as I mentioned in my opening post, are wholly human readable.

So, I am no further forward without you giving me a clue or two as to the correlation between the user name list that the user can pick from when logging in, and the way that user name is stored in the .ini file. This is not an issue that I wish to guess about. I imagine that if I accidentally delete the wrong user, the effect could be catastrophic.

So, assuming that the user account I wish to keep is the first to show on the user dropdown choice (on client PC) which line entry, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 0 does that relate to, hence which item should I not delete.
users.png
Thanks.

P.S it does not seem possible to attach image files in Firefox 45.02 - I had to use Internet Explorer.
Max
Site Admin

Re: Clearing-out User logins from network clients

Post by Max »

Hi,

the numbers indicate in which order the logins go in the dropdown box, from top to bottom. So you should remove those and move others so that they go in sequence 1,2,3, etc
Maxim,
EPIM Team