Can't complete sync setup

Discussion of EssentialPIM for iOS and synchronization
jsc
Guru

Can't complete sync setup

Post by jsc »

EPIM Pro portable 5.55

iOS version 6.1.3. on a iPhone 3GS. EPIM iOS 2.7.

Windows XP Pro sp3. iTunes 11.0.4.4.

Laptop and iphone both on the same home wireless network.

Trying to create a synch to my contacts database on the PC. I skip past the Sync Credentionals master password, because I don't have a password lock on the database. I click Next, and get the screen telling me what to do on the iphone. But the Next button in the wizard is greyed out and I can't complete setting up the sync, ie, Never can dismiss the wizard properly so never get to the "Pairing Device" step. Left port number as 21108 - what would I change it to? - I have no indication that it is blocked.

So what next?

EPIM iOS seems to have sync'd my outlook calendar, but that's it. No contacts.

Outside of EPIM, I sync'd my Outlook contacts, but I don't want to sync my EPIM contact database with Outlook. I just want my EPIM contact database to be sync'd with EPIM on the iOS. If it can't do that, then I don't know what the point is for EPIM on iOS.
Max
Site Admin

Re: Can't complete sync setup

Post by Max »

I wonder how you can skip the wizard without entering Master password. you must enter this if you want to synchronize Passwords module. This is the password you use on iOS Passwords module.
The next step after Sync credentials is the Pairing step, which tells you exactly what to do n Device. It also tells you what page to visit it if does not work:
http://www.essentialpim.com/help/index. ... hroniz.htm
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

I'm not sync'ing the pwd's module. All I use is EPIM is the contacts feature.

How can I skip it - I left it blank and clicked Next. Only the Contacts checkbox is available, and it's checked. (again, I'm only using Contacts.)

The pairing step tells me what to do on the iphone, but nothing happens. Just like the other user. I can't click Next to create the pairing, because it's greyed out.

Again, it seems to be exactly what user paul.blitz is complaining about. Same screens.

BTW, there is no mention in the help of trying to disable the Bonjour service. Or that the Master password has something to do with the iOS password module. I'll see if playing with those helps anything.

(ended the mDNSResponder service (Bonjour?) - made no difference.)

(I don't see a passwords module on my iPhone. So I don't know where I would set a Master Password. I tried my iTunes password, but that didn't work.)

Dead in the water again...
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

Again, I disabled the Bonjou service, rebooted and tried to set up a sync in EPIM again. I can't ever get to the pairing step - the Next button is greyed out.

I also temporarily enabled the password module, set a master password, and tried to sync again. Again, the machines are apparently not seeing each other.

I even tried starting with a new database, but that didn't work either.

Am I misunderstanding the functionality of EPIM iOS? Do the contacts sync with an independent EPIM database on the iphone, or does EPIM just enable sync'ing with the built-in iphone contacts database. My EPIM contacts database on my PC is NOT sync'd with Outlook. I don't want it to sync with Outlook. I want a standalone, independent contacts database.

If EPIM iOS can't create its own independent database, then I must have the wrong program.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Bonjour service must be running. No point in trying without it.
Synchronizing or not Passwords module does not play a role.
So far iOS app synchronizes iOS built in Contacts (not independent database). Later probably we will change that.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

So I just wasted my time. Again.

I really need to go elsewhere...