Throwing in the towel on sync EPIM Pro to iPad and iPhone

Discussion of EssentialPIM for iOS and synchronization
jim999
Guru

Throwing in the towel on sync EPIM Pro to iPad and iPhone

Post by jim999 »

I have EPIM Pro 5.57 on Win7 x64. I want to be be able to sync contacts,todos and appointments to and from my iPad and iPhone via iCloud. After spending several hours trying to get the sync to work both ways I am about to throw in towel and forget about it.

All of my existing EPIM appointments have a category of None assigned to them. If I even do a one way EPIM->iCloud the appointments never show up. None of these appointments are Private. I also discovered that when I do any sort of sync with iCloud I wind up with 3 new categories in EPIM for appointments: Calendar(iCloud Calendar), Reminders(iCloud Reminders) and Calendar(iCloud Reminders). What the heck is with these 3 categories especially for Calendar? If I delete these categories they show up as soon as I do a EPIM-> iCloud sync!

The contacts are syncing fine.
Max
Site Admin

Re: Throwing in the towel on sync EPIM Pro to iPad and iPhon

Post by Max »

Hello,

the problem is, Apple imposes its limitations and we can not create Calendars on iCloud. Therefore, if you want appointments created in EPIM to appear in iCloud, use already created Calendars, which is Calendar(iCloud Calendar) for Calendar data and Calendar(iCloud Reminders) for To Do data.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

Sorry my original reply was a bit unclear. I want to be able to add an appointment in EPIM and have it show up on my iPad for example. I tried using the iCloud sync in EPIM but the appointment never showed up on the iPad Calendar app. Are you saying that this is not possible with the iCloud Sync option in EPIM?
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

This is possible, if you assign Calendar(iCloud Calendar) category to your newly created appointment in EPIM.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

But all of my existing reoccurring or already configured appointments would be missing. Over the years I have gotten into the habit of not assigning a category to appointments. Same thing with the ToDos.

I had tried EseentialPim a while back on iPad but that was a manual sync in that I had to start up the process. I prefer an automated sync so that is why I tried using iCloud. Is there any way of using something like Google sync to get the Calendars and Contacts to sync automatically between multiple iDevices and EPIM on my desktop?
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

You can easily assign category to all your appointments. Just go to Table view, select your appointments and right-click, choose Category...
Same thing with To Do's.
You can use Google, but it does not synchronize To Do hierarchy well because of Google limitations (actually Google does not support hierarchy at all)
Contacts and Calendar should be fine though.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

I am having a problem with EPIM Calendar and its iCloud sync. I created a one way sync EPIM to iCloud. An appointment that I created with the Calendar (iCloud Calendar) as category is showing up multiple times at the same date and time. Each time I do a manual sync on iCloud in EPIM another entry shows up in iCloud "Calendar" calendar and in turn in iPad's Calendar app. The same goes when EPIM does an automatic sync every 10 mins.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Use File-> Database management-> Clear cache for each sychronization. That should solve it.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

Max wrote:Use File-> Database management-> Clear cache for each sychronization. That should solve it.
Sorry but that still did not fix it. I went so far as to delete the iCloud sync recreate it so it syncs Calendar and Contacts, cleared the cache for it and the dups are still showing up in Calendar on iCloud and iPad
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Old dupes may be showing, but no new ones should appear.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

I deleted the 2 appointments from iCloud which were set to Calendar(iCloud Calendar) in EPIM on my desktop. I waited and every min (interval set in the EPIM sync event) another new dup showed up.
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

I may have to give up on iCloud syncing and resort to Google Gmail to get Contacts and CalDav to get info over to the iDevices without duplicating appointments.