Synchronizing EPIM contact list with native Android contact list without cloud

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
Demal
Novice

Synchronizing EPIM contact list with native Android contact list without cloud

Post by Demal »

Someone in a different thread has asked for a way to copy the EPIM contact list to the native Android contact list without using any cloud.
I think, the problem can be solved this way:
1. Under EPIM on your PC export your EPIM contact list to your PC as vcard files.
2. Send these vcard files via e-mail, wifi or messenger to your smartphone.
3. Finally, import them to the native Android contact list.

If you want to merge the vcard files before step 2, here is how to do it with the Windows command prompt:
1. Open the command line interface (click <Start><Run>, or windows button + <r>) and type "cmd" to launch it.
2. Navigate to the folder where your multiple vCard files are by entering "cd /d " + path (e.g. "cd /d D:\contacts").
3. Enter command "copy /a *.vcf combinedfile.vcf".
Your vCard files should be merged to a file "combinedfile.vcf"

(Source: http://www.topalt.com/content/how-merge ... s-one-file.)

If you want to do the merge job by a single double click, create a "bat" file:
1. In editor (notepad.exe) type:
cd /d d:\contacts
copy /a *.vcf combinedfile.vcf.
2. Save the file and change the extension to ".bat". That's it. Double clicking will execute the file.
-------------------------------------
I'm running EPIM Pro for Android 4.2.2 under Android 5.1 on a Fairphone 2 and EPIM Pro for Windows 6.58 under Windows 7.
Ram8
Experienced

Re: Synchronizing EPIM contact list with native Android contact list without cloud

Post by Ram8 »

Thanks for your reply Demal. I could do this once to get the data to my native phone app, but I have 1000's of contacts that are constantly being modified. I need to sync these daily or at a minimum weekly. Looking forward to a feature to sync EPIM android with native phone app. This will make EPIM a self sufficent solution for those like me that just want to sync "EPIM PC --> EPIM Android --> Android Native app" for a streamlined process.

running EPIM Pro 4.2.5 on Android 6 and EPIM Pro 7.13 on Windows 10
running EPIM Pro 5.6.2 on Android 9 and EPIM Pro 8.53.1 on Windows 10
userfriend
Novice

Re: Synchronizing EPIM contact list with native Android contact list without cloud

Post by userfriend »

Demal, thanks.
But, seriously: Did you not buy this program so that it would do all this? Was that not the promise?
Now you go to the legths of all these individual steps - JUST TO MAKE YOUR CONTACTS SHOW UP IN YOUR PHONE!!!!

does that finally make you think, you guys behind the code?
Ram8
Experienced

Post by Ram8 »

I synced my contacts from my old PIM program to GMAIL, then synced GMAIL with EPIM Pro Desktop and also with my Android native phone app. This is working fine for me. Essential PIM already has beta version that allows the user to select EPIM as a database on your Android phone. Their new release will be coming out soon with this feature as a standard element of the program. I must say EPIM has been great for me.
running EPIM Pro 5.6.2 on Android 9 and EPIM Pro 8.53.1 on Windows 10