Set up auto PC sync

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
tomrice
Novice

Set up auto PC sync

Post by tomrice »

Hi,

I sync Android with PC both connected to WiFi - when I press PC Sync on the Android, it automatically scans for devices and doesn't ever find any, so I have to cancel that and then press the menu button then "Connect manually", then "Connect", every single time.

Question is: Could it automatically try the manually entered address from last time, so I don't have to do it manually each time?

Secondly: Is it possible the app could be set to automatically sync every X minutes, so if I forget to sync and then go out somewhere then it's probably already synced?

Also: Maybe there is something I can do with my router or Windows firewall to allow automatic scanning to work properly? I'm not sure what to change.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Set up auto PC sync

Post by admin »

Question is: Could it automatically try the manually entered address from last time, so I don't have to do it manually each time?
Yes, click on Menu->Settings->PC Sync, and enable the Use last known good IP option.
Secondly: Is it possible the app could be set to automatically sync every X minutes, so if I forget to sync and then go out somewhere then it's probably already synced?
That is only possible if you sync via Google services like Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, etc.
Also: Maybe there is something I can do with my router or Windows firewall to allow automatic scanning to work properly? I'm not sure what to change.
Please check if your router allows multicast packets though (these are used for devices auto-discovery in the network).
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
tomrice
Novice

Post by tomrice »

Thanks! I thought it used to do that at one time but I forgot about that 'Use last known good IP' setting.
Actually, I did have the setting on already but it wasn't working - I unchecked the option and checked it back on again and it's working correctly now.

Automatic sync - was more of a possible future feature request but thanks for letting me know about Google option.

Not sure about multicast I will research - although first option seems to work well enough now cheers.

I bought the Pro version yesterday. A few questions & thoughts about the password option:

1) Is the data encrypted until you put the password in (except for that shown on widgets?), or is it just that the app stops you from accessing it?

2) I added some widgets and noticed if I press on the calendar 'shortcut' widget it asks for the password, then if I click the back arrow top left it would ask for the password again before I can access the rest of the app - would be good if I can just enter the password one time.

3) Other password options would be a nice addition too in the future like using the fingerprint sensor.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. The data itself is encrypted.
2. Will fix this in the next update.
3. Thanks, noted!
userfriend
Novice

Post by userfriend »

again: autosync ...
try google sync.

why do you think, people actually buy your product? a LOT of them do NOT WANT google sync!!!!!!
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

a LOT of them do NOT WANT google sync!!!!!!
That´s right- EPIM is my attempt to escape google......
I want to have my private data stay private.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And you can always achieve that by leaving the default options as they are (Google sync is turned off by default).
sondheimer2
Experienced

Post by sondheimer2 »

Yes, and because of this - like tomrice wrote:
>Secondly: Is it possible the app could be set to automatically sync every X minutes, so if I forget to sync and then go out somewhere then it's probably
>already synced?
This wish for feature still is very old and should implemented as soon as possible, is there a chance?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There's a very high chance (we've recently updated its priority) it gets implemented in one of the nearest versions.
Alfhw
Guru

Post by Alfhw »

admin wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:10 am There's a very high chance (we've recently updated its priority) it gets implemented in one of the nearest versions.
Automatic wi-fi sync would be great!
It would be nice if Epim can automatically turn on wi-fi if it's off on the smartphone. It would be even greater if Epim can wake-on-lan the pc where Epim Desktop is installed, launch Epim Desktop, sync and turn off pc.
Ok, it's more like a dream... :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Will see what we can do :)