Toegang tot NAS

Discuss EssentialPIM in Dutch

Moderators: PeCe, Moozer

Philippus

Toegang tot NAS

Post by Philippus »

Hoi,

Ik heb recent een NAS (Synology) geinstalleerd. Via "slepen" kan ik een EPIM Databestand naar de NAS verplaatsen (niet binnen PIM zelf). Als ik vanuit PIM vervolgens het bestand wil openen verschijnt de melding: Unable to complete network request to host NAS.
Max
Site Admin

Re: Toegang tot NAS

Post by Max »

Unfortunately this is the "feature" of Firebird database. You can not work with a database on a NAS.
You need to install Firebird server on a machine in order to connect to the database.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
DiedB

Post by DiedB »

Are you sure that it is needed to install a SQL (FireBird) DataBase on a NAS? The NAS is connected to the router and just accessible through Windows using a network station.

Programs like Word can just save things directly to the NAS, but EPIM first asks for a username and password of the NAS (we just use the File > Save as option). Has this to do with the fact that EPIM searches for a FireBird database on all network stations? I guess not.

If I'm completely wrong, what do I need to do after I have installed FireBird on my PC? I get with the ISQL tool a command prompt from where I can create a database, but what next?

Thanks in advance.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

some background information: EPIM file is a Firebird database. There are 2 flavours of Firebird: EPIm Desktop/Portable uses Embedded Firebird Server (which does not need a separate server installation), while Network version uses full Firebird server.
So, Embedded version can not use databases on network shares for a number of reasons:
http://www.firebirdsql.org/manual/ufb-cs-embedded.html
"The embedded server has no facility to accept any network connections. Only true local access is possible, with a connect string that doesn't contain a host name (not even localhost)."
"When an application loads the embedded server, the server operates in the application (and therefore the user's) security context. This means that the embedded server will only be able to access database files that the user could access directly through the operating system. Giving an untrusted user access to install programs on a secure server is bad news in any case, but provided you have specified appropriate file permissions on secure databases, the embedded server itself is no threat. "
So what you can do:
- use Desktop/Portable version, without possibility to reach your EPIM files on NAS
- try to install Firebird server on your NAS. There lots of builds of Firebird for Linux: http://www.firebirdsql.org/en/firebird-2-5-1/
- install Firebird server on some other machine (not NAS)

The main thing, that if you use Network version, server must be installed on the same machine where EPIM database files are. Then you can reach your files through server from whenever you want, even over the Internet (outside local network).
Maxim,
EPIM Team
DiedB

Post by DiedB »

1 question left: Has the network version of EssentialPIM all functionality of the PRO version (the version we are using now)?

Or can we do a free update to the network version because we bought EssentialPIM PRO?

Edit: Sorry, found the answers already on the website (EPIM Network has PRO functionality and we are able to upgrade for a discount price).