Suggestions for imrpovement

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
ton
Beta Team

Suggestions for imrpovement

Post by ton »

Having used Android daily for well over a year, and EPIM Android for two weeks I might suggest the following improvements for EPIM Android:

General:
1. Allow clearing of sync from within Android Application as it takes considerable time to copy new data when doing so from different database that is of much smaller size (Or alternatively Point 2).
2. Allow creation of new database from within Android App as there is no reason that EPIM can't be used freestanding as it already is a fully functional calendar. I have used it as such for 2 weeks with no problem.
3. Consistency in dialogs. In Calendar there is a dedicate icon for adding a new appointment (a circle with a plus sign inside), but the same is not true for ToDo or for Notes where you have to go into the menu.
4. Allow for gestures i.e. Two-finger zoom in/out as the text is far too small to see on a smaller tab such as my Samsung 7.7 inch. I should mention in passing that the trend in Android is for smaller tablets between 7-8 inch.

Calendar:

1. Display entry note content (say 30 words) on the daily and weekly view as the real-estate permits it.
2. Display header in Month view as at the moment it just displays the colored block for Category and is not informative at all.
3. Fill up the screen in weekly view as it is full screen in the horizontal, but comes down only 75% on the vertical.
4. The Agenda view could be better displayed in Portrait View as it only takes up about 20% of the screen bunched up on the left-vertical. Why not fill up the screen.

Keep up the great work. I am very happy with EPIM on Android.

Thanks, Toni
There is not one truth but many!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for imrpovement

Post by admin »

Thanks for your suggestions!
1. Sorry not clear what you mean. The problem is with the sync speed? Then we should limit the syncing timeframe for calendar, for example. We spoke earlier about that.
2. We use native Android database for storing data. It's in the system and cannot be used as a file like with Windows version.
3. Agree, this is going to be the next step after making final adjustments to the Calendar module.
4. Will think about it, thanks.

With regards to the Calendar suggestions - all noted, thanks again!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
ton
Beta Team

Post by ton »

Thank you for the prompt reply to this post.

Just picking up on one issue and elaborating.
1. Sorry not clear what you mean. The problem is with the sync speed? Then we should limit the syncing timeframe for calendar, for example. We spoke earlier about that.
In PC EPIM version to delete synchronization we go through the following steps:

File/ Synchronization/ Edit Synchronization/Android/Delete Synchronization

So, what I am asking for is if this can be done through the EPIM App with a dedicated button "Clear Data" for each module such as Calendar, ToDo, Notes etc..

It would serve the same function as in PC, except that it would leave the database clean to receive new data quickly when synchronizing. This task can presently be achieved as follows in Android, except that it deletes all EPIM data:

Task manager/ EssentialPIM/ Clear data/

The benefit would be that any future synchronization would be quick as it does not have to delete former entries.

Alternatively, it could probably be achieved through "syncing timeframe" as we spoke before. I leave that in your capable hands.

Thanks.
There is not one truth but many!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, I see now, thanks for elaborating. Although, when you clear the sync data in Windows EPIM nothing gets deleted from the database. Only synchronization data is cleared and it consists of previously created links in between items in Windows and Android EPIM. Once you clear these links up, they will be recreated automatically upon the very next sync.
In any case got your point, thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!