Portable version refuses to work after flash drive disconnected

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

MetalDrop
Guru

Re: Portable version refuses to work after flash drive disconnected

Post by MetalDrop »

Since it really dose sound like an issue with windows, have you tried restoring to a system restore point from when everything was working fine?
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
emails4me
Experienced

Post by emails4me »

I have installed software since that issue so I woudn't want to use a system restore point.

Its not a windows issue as this is specific to the EssentialPIM application and as mentioned previously prior versions of both the desktop and portable work without issue.

From what I have found through a search in the forum is that its possibly their protection mechanism that is preventing it from executing that version and somehow the sudden flash drive disconnection has triggered that.

Its frustrating, I can't use the portable version and I guess version 7.21 is a minor update so its indistinguishable from version 7.2.

What would be useful was if there was a utility from the makers of EssentialPIM to clear out all possible settings for their Application. Similar to how some Anti virus applications have a utility to clear out all traces of their installation.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

What you may try just for the fun of it is seeing if the "Free" version of 7.21 portable works.

On none of my systems that have had issues with the software protection has it ever become impossible to run the free potable version.

It's not a substitution, but it's a good way to test, as the free version seems to be built without the protection used in the pro version, as it's limitations and ads are hard coded (eg: there's no way to remove them by entering a key...etc) so their seems to be no reason for it.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
emails4me
Experienced

Post by emails4me »

Yes, the free portable version 7.21 does work.

Is there any resolution you can provide to get the registered version to work ?
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Sadly we've already tried what's worked for all my systems and that's copying over the .ini (eg: copy the licensing info) form a working portable version to the new one.

Really I'd love to do some experimenting and figure something out as it's pretty strange 7.2<, but <7.13 dose work as that tend to mean that the protection system is able to work on the system, especially as the installed versions also work.

I've tried to replicate the issue myself, taking a flash drive putting EPIM on it and removing it from the system well running a number of times. To no avail.
emails4me
Experienced

Post by emails4me »

So there is no log that can be created to diagnose why its starts up and shut downs ? Is there a mode or switch which can force the application to generate logs or messages of its behaviour ? No registry entries or system cache that can be cleared ?

What was the point of testing the free version of v7.21 ? Since it works it just confirms that the protection mechanism is somehow triggered in the registered version as 2 instances are seen in task manager and then they shut down.

Would you be able to provide a version v7.3 anytime soon? The issue maybe specific to version 7.2.

I have tried the things you suggested, but simply saying you cannot replicate the issue and leaving it at that is not a good resolution.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Since you are using the Portable version, can you check if the license code is OK, by extracting it from EssentialPIM.ini and inserting it into Desktop version? You can also send the license name and code that you have via PM on this forum.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

emails4me wrote:So there is no log that can be created to diagnose why its starts up and shut downs ? Is there a mode or switch which can force the application to generate logs or messages of its behaviour ? No registry entries or system cache that can be cleared ?

What was the point of testing the free version of v7.21 ? Since it works it just confirms that the protection mechanism is somehow triggered in the registered version as 2 instances are seen in task manager and then they shut down.

Would you be able to provide a version v7.3 anytime soon? The issue maybe specific to version 7.2.

I have tried the things you suggested, but simply saying you cannot replicate the issue and leaving it at that is not a good resolution.
#1: Not that I am aware of.

#2 It was to see if it was 7.21 code itself causing the issue. It could still be something strange in windows 10 that is just effect one program ID such as a damaged registry of somekind.

#3 & #4 I'm just another user like you so testing and figuring out how to replicate things and then fix them that way is about the only way I can help you.