sync with palm, all ok but no categories

Please post your suggestions, bug reports, ideas regarding synchronization here
shaft
Novice

sync with palm, all ok but no categories

Post by shaft »

hi max,

i tried several times to sync with my palm E2 in every way. empty DB on palm, new DB in EPIM, but in no way there will the categories be synced, neither cat from EPIM to palm nor cat from palm to EPIM. otherwise all appts/tasks are synced correctly but without categories.
i tried EPIM 2.2 and 2.52 and i have hotsync 6.0.1

any idea?

best wishes,
marco.
shaft
Novice

Post by shaft »

no one any idea? :(
justetina
Experienced

Post by justetina »

Sorry, shaft, but not sure I can help you there; I'm not clear with what you are describing. When I did the first sync, all my tasks from my palm was copied over to the empty epim database, including the categories. I only had problems later when I added on categories.

So, you did the sync and all the to dos and appointment transferred but none of the categories? Are the categories blank or "Unfiled"?
shaft
Novice

Post by shaft »

hi, thanks for your reply.
well, a blank sync with a new database but none of my appointment category NAMES (private, business, friends, ...) were synced.
do you know a solution?
justetina
Experienced

Sorry, no help here :(

Post by justetina »

shaft,
I don't use categories for my appointments (tasks) so can't help you. Are the categories for the To Do's syncing ok and you're only having problems with the appointments (tasks) in the Schedule?

I don't use categories in my appointments in Palm so it doesn't matter that all the appointments are synced over as "None" in EPIM. I notice though that the set of categories in EPIM is the same for the To Do and Tasks. Whereas the categories in the Palm To Do and Calendar can be different (i.e. they don't share the same categories list). Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Good luck.
shaft
Novice

Post by shaft »

hi,

no category will be synced - all appointments and tasks are filed under "none" in EPIM.
why doesn't max or someone else, who actually KNOWS the solution, answer to this question? :)
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Please list more information and steps to reproduce. It is difficult to understand what is exactly the problem. E.g.:
- do you create custom categories on EPIM and they do not appear in Palm?
- or, do you create custom categories on EPIM and assign them to tasks and they do not get assigned to tasks in EPIM?
- do you assign standart categories in Palm and...
- etc
- etc

you get the idea- there are myriad of variants and difficult to understand what you mean.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
shaft
Novice

Post by shaft »

Max wrote:Please list more information and steps to reproduce. It is difficult to understand what is exactly the problem. E.g.:
- do you create custom categories on EPIM and they do not appear in Palm?
right!
i did two things: create blank database in EPIM and synchronize. -> effect: no category set in palm was synced to EPIM. all appointments have the category "none" in EPIM.
the second thing: i made custom categories in EPIM, made some entries and synced to a hard-resetted (!! i.e. blank) palm. -> effect: no categories were synced to palm, all tasks were filed under "unfiled".
devices: palm tungsten E2 and palm centro.

that's all :-)

(btw. thanks for your answer, max!)
shaft
Novice

Post by shaft »

sorry max, i researched a little bit. categories in TO-DOs are synced well (but i don't use them...)

doesn't EPIM support synchronization of categories in tasks/appointments?

[edit (2 hours later)]

max, i researched even further and i think, i found the solution. here is a statement of the FAQs of CompanionLink, which provides extensive synchronization of different data:
Most Palm handhelds do not have categories in the Datebook area. You can only categorize your Datebook records if you have a handheld with this capability. In general, handhelds with this capability will not have a Datebook application, but will instead have a Calendar application. CompanionLink only supports this categorization if you are using one of these handhelds, Palm Desktop 4.1.2 or higher, and CompanionLink 2.0 or higher.
what they say: "older" palms use the CLASSIC calendar without categories (datebook), and NEWER palms use the extended calendar with categories (calendar). you will find the new ones in palms working with NVFS-filesystem.
and guess what: look at hotsync-synchronization -> EPIM syncs with "calendar classic" i.e. no chance for category-sync in tasks/appointments.

the same happens with other conduits. EPIM uses the old databases "DatebookDB, MemoDB, ..." and not the new ones "CalendarDB-PDat, MemosDB-PMem, ..."! so i guess this will explain many other problems people have with sync-errors while using newer devices (tungsten E2, TX, treo 680, palm centro...)

so, what do you say, max? i would really appreciate some hopefully positive answer :)

best wishes,
marco.