EPIM 10

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

admin
Site Admin

Re: EPIM 10

Post by admin »

We're doing our best to bring that Beta 1 release day as close as only possible!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Argenthos
Experienced

Post by Argenthos »

Does everyone have access to beta versions on the beta channel in EPIM options or is just some small group of selected users? I tried changing to the beta channel but nothing changed.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

I have never once gotten a beta through the beta channel built in the program.
I have a dedicated EPIM running on my living room HTPC with a macro script that checks daily just because I wanted to see if I ever get a beta through the channel.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Frank-H
Experienced

Post by Frank-H »

MetalDrop wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:38 pm I have never once gotten a beta through the beta channel built in the program.
I have a dedicated EPIM running on my living room HTPC with a macro script that checks daily just because I wanted to see if I ever get a beta through the channel.
Admin, could you actually establish the beta program again, so the program can be tested more thoroughly; more users and their application scenarios?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What makes you think it's not working? If MetalDrop never got his Beta versions doesn't mean the program is not established.
FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

I've put my copies of EPIM to the Beta channel as soon as it came out and I've also never gotten a Beta version.

I do personally wonder how many quality testers were lost because of the update channel being seemingly randomly limited in mysterious ways. I'd be interested to know from the devs themselves did you see an increase or decrees in bug reports during the beta phases after the change over?
Frank-H
Experienced

Post by Frank-H »

admin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:24 am What makes you think it's not working? If MetalDrop never got his Beta versions doesn't mean the program is not established.
As you know, there are past threads covering this...
S_Belle
Guru

Post by S_Belle »

I also never got a beta from the beta channel, and sadly just noticed missed the last beta posted on the BBS since I didn't know they were back in action. Will the one for 10 be posted on the BBS too or will it be a beta channel only beta?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Beta update channel simply complements posts about the Beta versions on the forum.
Frank-H
Experienced

Post by Frank-H »

Then how do people become beta testers, how does someone access a pre-release beta version - threads I've read on this forum describe no longer being able to do that... So what is the beta program, exactly?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In two words the Beta program allows you to have earlier access to the new versions of EPIM, which are still in the Beta testing phase. You get a sneak peak preview of all the new features not yet available for the general audiences. At the same time as its name implies Beta usually contains issues and we always appreciate if people running the Beta versions let us know about these in the special part of the support forum.
knegsel
Experienced

Post by knegsel »

knegsel wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:58 pm When comes EPIM 10, or a Beta version?
1 month later.... When comes version 10?
The couple of weeks are over.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

knegsel wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:44 pm
knegsel wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:58 pm When comes EPIM 10, or a Beta version?
1 month later.... When comes version 10?
The couple of weeks are over.
In my personal experience with over 10 years of coding the answer is and should always be:
It'll come when it comes.

If you try and pin a date on a Beta or Release and stick to it, you'll likely get nothing but a disaster.

So unless you're dealing with a mega company who can hire 50~100 extra people overnight to rush through development woes to meet a deadline, or a mega project like chrome where you always have a flood of things needing testing and can disregard any number branches at a moments notice and still have a ton of code needing beta testing then when you hear "a couple weeks" or anything like that you should probably expand it in your mind to a couple months. It's really not that hard for some tiny little bug to show up that then turns into a week+ long epic battle to fix.

Overall programing is a rather unique process with very few cut and dry expectation unless your making a clone of something with well established tools, and have a long background doing it. An example of that would a 30yr Nintendo vets making a Mario bro.1 clone, So when your dealing with something like EPIM where you know it's a smaller Dev team adding feature they've never added to anything else before eg: Completely new territory for them, you should always be willing to to give them some pretty large cuts of slack when it comes to any time of time estimates.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Frank-H
Experienced

Post by Frank-H »

re: "When comes version 10? The couple of weeks are over"

Wrong view in my opinion. Kiss the ground 9.9.7 was stable and works well. Don't Rush Version 10.
It's just a name. You don't even know what's in it. Let them stabilize it and make it Reliable, above all.
johncesta
Guru

Post by johncesta »

I would like to simply see more reliability. Also, better connectivity outside of windows PC. The iphone and ipad apps are almost simply unusable. I keep epim installed on my PC only because I am waiting for the day the syncing becomes available.

That's what I'd like to see. I haven't been successful in two way syncing notes to google or any other means. It always times out or gives me error codes. Then often I realize I have dups. So while I can sync one way to google drive it really doesn't do me any good because there's really no good way to look at those docs from an iphone or ipad etc.

Also haven't been able to sync to onedrive.

So that's that I suppose.
John Cesta
Knights of Columbus