Why you DON'T like EPIM?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: Max, TerryRogers

CTSguy

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Post by CTSguy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:36 pm

I do appreciate ePIM. Overall I like the product and use it everyday. However, when you decided to move to variable label fields (not custom fields) you opened up some problems with import, export and sync. I worked with Palm Pilots for nearly 15 years. As long as everything was contained within that system things were very reliable. However, with their variable lable fields syncrhonization, exporting and importing took on a very complex dimension. I see the same thing happening with ePIM since you moved to this technique. In my opinion it is more reliable to allow for custom fields than to approach the ("problem") flexibility of the app as you have.

spyd

Post by spyd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:14 pm

I've bought EssentialPim.
I'm affraid it's a (very bad) joke:

- when moving a task from a sub task to another one : software closes ...

- bought EssentialPIMCloud : unable to synchronize behind a proxy ( connection closed gracefully)
But there'e still the webapp " almost any information" witha webbrowser ... in fact just a file directory and upadtes doesn't work, no new task, new agenda doesn't record new contact either.

80 bucks spent ..; didn't want to give up!

so bought Android tool that "synchronize every database" as the website says, yes but with wifi, not with Cloud !, if i can put the android and the PC on the same wifi, i can also carry an USB-Key.

other funny tricks:
when creating sub task it appears at the end of list, not beyond the task i was working on...

tried the portable version : error for "unable to unpack" ...

So i have an unusable software, i can't cloud, just as usefull as a sled at the seashore
For this price i should had bought a gold printed handbook and a founatin pen !

there's one good thing : the icon is nice

Thx

Max
Site Admin

Post by Max » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:58 pm

spyd wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:14 pm
- when moving a task from a sub task to another one : software closes ...
that's a bug, obviously, which we would to know more about. But that's not a widespread problem (otherwise we would know it)
spyd wrote:
- bought EssentialPIMCloud : unable to synchronize behind a proxy ( connection closed gracefully)
But there'e still the webapp " almost any information" witha webbrowser ... in fact just a file directory and upadtes doesn't work, no new task, new agenda doesn't record new contact either.
80 bucks spent ..; didn't want to give up!
We can fully refund your payment if you are within 30 days moneyback guarantee
spyd wrote:
tried the portable version : error for "unable to unpack" ...
That's either incomplete download on your side, or antivirus program blocking EPIM.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Choose your favorite feature so that we could develop it more:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13483

matsch
Novice

Post by matsch » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:15 pm

There is just few points for GUI:
on the reminder window, let's say you have 3 reminders and you want them to "ring" again in 1 hour, when you select 1 hour for the first one then you have to select again and again 1hour for the remaining 2 reminders as it should automatically be the same time as the first one and leave to the user to change it if needed.

also when the reminder window is open and you select the time then the only appointment there should be selected: problem of only appointment being able to be deselected

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:34 am

Thanks for your thoughts. Let me comment on them:
1. What you could do is to select all the required reminders first and then select the desired "Remind in" time for all of them at once.
2. The reminder stays selected it's just that the focus switches from one part of the window to another.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!

matsch
Novice

Post by matsch » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks for the first point, but one would want to get rid of the first reminder fist before reading the second etc... (user-friendly)
... for the second it's just that the GUI is not completely user-friendly

matsch
Novice

Post by matsch » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:04 am

Hi,
The drag-and-drop inside a note does not work. select a line, click on it and try to move it as a drag-an-drop... not working...
is it because I'm using the portable version that this kind of basic feature of a text application is not working for me?
And yes (I answer the foreseen answer) you can always do a cut and paste but drag and drop is easier...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:41 pm

... for the second it's just that the GUI is not completely user-friendly
That's standard Windows behavior when switching focus from one active control to another in the same dialog window. I don't think we should influence it.
The drag-and-drop inside a note does not work. select a line, click on it and try to move it as a drag-an-drop... not working...
This is a bug, will fix in the next version, thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!

Joel1245
Novice

Post by Joel1245 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:18 pm

I've used EPIM but eventually stopped using it after a few short weeks. In some way, I"ve been ruined by using Google Calendar and another task manager web app that syncs with Google Calendar. EPIM for me was slow with sync. I needed something that was lightening fast. Now I'm using Google Calendar with Todoist because it's fast and Todoist is integrating with Google Calendar. If EPIM was available online, in the same way, I think it would draw a lot of users but in its current state, it's too much work to set up and sync. I encountered too many times when it crashed or wouldn't sync properly and to be honest, this kind of software is feeling dated. If EPIM were available online and as quick as other web apps like Google Calendar are, it would explode with users. If you build it, they will come.

danmichsr
Novice

Post by danmichsr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:25 pm

Inventory........... Or some other name..... Title all by itself like CONTACTS/CALENDAR etc where you could put in your Vehicles/Software Purchases/House/......,,,, Std fields Name of Item, Location, value/Cost etc. It can be done with a work around now but that would be nice to have it separate... Just a thought...... lol, and while your at it put the age of the person on the LIST.... Just a button to click to have it recalculate all the ages or anniversarys.... What a wish list ..

Len
Guru

Post by Len » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:35 am

danmichsr wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:25 pm
Inventory........... Or some other name..... Title all by itself like CONTACTS/CALENDAR etc where you could put in your Vehicles/Software Purchases/House/......,,,, Std fields Name of Item, Location, value/Cost etc. It can be done with a work around now but that would be nice to have it separate... Just a thought...... lol, and while your at it put the age of the person on the LIST.... Just a button to click to have it recalculate all the ages or anniversarys.... What a wish list ..

Surely more of a Post for "Suggestions" than why I don`t like?????