Database Version

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

KmxSoft
Guru

Database Version

Post by KmxSoft »

I appreciate that without undue reason the upgrade isn't likely to happen. However I raise a concern.

From what I can tell, EssentialPIM is based on a real early version of the Firebird database architecture. I don't know the explicit version being used, however as my Firdbird database software refuses to open the database I'm guessing that the version was declared obsolete some time ago.

https://www.firebirdsql.org/en/discontinued-versions/

It is a concern that EPIM isn't keeping abreast of current versions, as no doubt fixes that may have been implemented in recent major upgrades won't have been resolved.
Max
Site Admin

Re: Database Version

Post by Max »

EPIM is not using a discontinued version of Firebird. EPIM users should also not be concerned with technical details like that as we are taking care that EPIM works well (no matter database version)
Maxim,
EPIM Team
KmxSoft
Guru

Post by KmxSoft »

Fair enough.
KmxSoft
Guru

Post by KmxSoft »

Just to complete this comment, the reason why I would want to be tinkering in the database would be because of a missing (or failing) feature in the EPIM product.

Example: It's a pain in the butt that EPIM advises me when I define a rule that the rules won't work because some of the folders aren't being synchronised. EPIM doesn't tell you which folder (or folders), it just makes a glib statement that my rules won't work.

Example 2: No export/import features for rules so if I reset my account I have to start over from a blank rule list.

I can very easily fix those issues thru tinkering with the database.

I am fortunate that I am a trained and experienced database guy, so whilst the folks at EPIM won't appreciate or support me fiddling around in the database, the fact is that the product is seriously lacking some key features, and enthusiasm for implementing suggested improvements (even very simple ones which require no programming) is unresponsive.

I'm not asking EPIM to support this use.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

Example 1- it is difficult to advice without having more information. So far it sounds like a bug, which we are willing to fix.
Example 2- we are considering implementing this feature

There is always "a missing feature" for almost any user. The reason for this is that everyone has different needs. While it would be great to make sure EPIM suits everybody 100%, in practice this is not achievable.
Please also consider that we are getting 10 times more suggestions than we are able to implement, so we have to choose wisely.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
KmxSoft
Guru

Post by KmxSoft »

I reported the bug on Oct 28th:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19668

Obviously it's due to be fixed in v7.7 but was surprised it wasn't picked up in earlier version testing. This is a hard bug which requires no explanation.

Software development is like that, users often requesting enhancements for new features which don't have a chance lof being implemented. But when a major competitor (such as Thunderbird) has those features it adds weight to their importance.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

I am glad we have found common ground.
Maxim,
EPIM Team