Journal

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

emails4me
Experienced

Re: Journal

Post by emails4me »

8 years since the original post.. hope springs eternal.

Any plans to add this feature ? if so, is there a time frame ?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There's such a plan, although it would be very difficult to provide an ETA at the moment.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
henacynflin
Experienced

Post by henacynflin »

+1 from me too. This is really the missing link
emails4me
Experienced

Post by emails4me »

Admin, Can this pls be added to the Essential PIM roadmap: vote for features section. I can't seem to find it there.
SilverSound
Expert

Post by SilverSound »

So, what are you guys thinking here?

I keep a journal in EPIM and it works great, whenever you make a new node you can use the insert date button at the top.

I have a note tree tab named "Diary".
So all I have to do is click the add new root insert the date and I have a near perfect journal.

The only things I'd like to see for it to be perfect are:

#1 An option to add an event to the calendar when a note is created. [with the note name]
(I'd also like an option to add a calendar event when a note is modified too)

#2 An option for natural sorting.
[I'd really like to use a data name besides ISO style, but I'm too invested in ISO now so this is mainly for other people.]

#3 An option to use today's date as the default title for new notes.
[The auto name is cool, but I've never once used it, whereas I'd use this daily.]

#4 An option to set default icons for each tree tab.
[Just a nice touch lowest of all priority wise.]
emails4me
Experienced

Post by emails4me »

Creating a folder called year, then a sub-folder with month and then a day entry as a note.. much the same as what you do with your 'Diary' is how I been doing it for years, but don't see why it should be done that way. There is already a mini calendar at the bottom of epim and tabs for creating your notes.

My take would be a right menu option on the mini calendar date to create a note entry for that day. That would automatically create a note entry in a Journal tab reserved for epim. It can be as simple as that.

There should be some visual indicator in the calendar to represent it had a note associated with it. So if I can see via the mini calendar which days had notes, a click (or double click) should take me to the note associated with that day. I could alternatively do a search or locate it within the journal note Tabs.

There are many apps that implement both: Journal and notes.. see the windows app called 'The Journal' as an example. Likewise, Diarium on both windows and Android provide an example of how this can be implemented on both platforms.
Triple S
Expert

Post by Triple S »

If you combined a popup menu with the mini calendar and SilversSounds #1 that would be pretty cool.

So you'd click on the mini calendar day, and then you'd see a popup menu that showed the notes added that day, notes modified that day, and of course actual calendar events/tasks for that day.

Each type could have it's own icon and then when you clicked on the entry it would take you to that item.

My horrible and quick concept doodle:
2020-11-09_210432.png
My random thought aside I mostly agree with SilversSounds list. I'd only swap #2 and #3 priority wise.
mihalvld
Guru

Post by mihalvld »

+1, add time tracking feature
EPIM Pro Portable 10.2 / Windows 7, 10
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Time tracking features is something else, if I understand your suggestion correctly.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

The biggest one of theses I'd like to see is:

"#1 An option to add an event to the calendar when a note is created. [with the note name]
(I'd also like an option to add a calendar event when a note is modified too)"

As a writer this would save me a lot of time having to keep track of the chapters I work on each week.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

MetalDrop wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:47 pm The biggest one of theses I'd like to see is:

"#1 An option to add an event to the calendar when a note is created. [with the note name]
(I'd also like an option to add a calendar event when a note is modified too)"

As a writer this would save me a lot of time having to keep track of the chapters I work on each week.
+1
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
johncesta
Guru

Post by johncesta »

This is pretty cool

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36199
John Cesta
Knights of Columbus