What would you like to see as next module?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

PeCe
Guru

Re: What would you like to see as next module?

Post by PeCe »

+1 for tagging of e-mail, but tagging for notes might also useful. So +1 for tagging as a general possibility.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
ypim
Guru

Post by ypim »

PeCe wrote:+1 for tagging of e-mail, but tagging for notes might also useful. So +1 for tagging as a general possibility.
vote added
Mel
Guru

Post by Mel »

Tagging is a must. Now I use my own system that does not work well.
Tags must be available in all modules. Now we have Categories - but not in Notes, unfortunately.
-- M.
ypim
Guru

Post by ypim »

Mel wrote:Tagging is a must. Now I use my own system that does not work well.
Tags must be available in all modules. Now we have Categories - but not in Notes, unfortunately.
-- M.
Categories are not the same as tags.
I need both!
Mel
Guru

Post by Mel »

Obviously!
I meant that now we cannot use categories in several modules: Notes, Contacts, and Passwords (don't know abut e-mail, I don't use epim's email).
Tags should be available in every module.
-- M.
ypim
Guru

Post by ypim »

Mel wrote:Obviously!
I meant that now we cannot use categories in several modules: Notes, Contacts, and Passwords (don't know abut e-mail, I don't use epim's email).
Tags should be available in every module.
-- M.
OK, now it's clear. :)
I also don't use mail-module.
Both categories AND tags should be in all modules.
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

What I have missed most so far from the discussed proposed features is the possibility to do some (simple) calculations in tables in Notes. So count a +1 for some Spreadsheet functionality in the Notes module (not as an additional module and no Excel replacement, just +, -, *, /, sum, sorting and some number formatting would be sufficient for v6.0, leaving pivot tables for v87.0 in the year 2525 :-))
ypim
Guru

Post by ypim »

lk wrote:What I have missed most so far from the discussed proposed features is the possibility to do some (simple) calculations in tables in Notes. So count a +1 for some Spreadsheet functionality in the Notes module (not as an additional module and no Excel replacement, just +, -, *, /, sum, sorting and some number formatting would be sufficient for v6.0, leaving pivot tables for v87.0 in the year 2525 :-))
vote added
glenn59
Guru

Post by glenn59 »

ypim, thanks for counting my votes.

I really use the hyperlinks on the portable version, so I can click on the link on the calendar to bring up the To Dos which contain the notes detailing steps in the tasks. (Project outline style.) Am I safe to assume tagging would allow the same concept?

If the formatting and links on Android are far in the future, maybe the tags would do.
ypim
Guru

Post by ypim »

glenn59 wrote:ypim, thanks for counting my votes.

I really use the hyperlinks on the portable version, so I can click on the link on the calendar to bring up the To Dos which contain the notes detailing steps in the tasks. (Project outline style.) Am I safe to assume tagging would allow the same concept?

If the formatting and links on Android are far in the future, maybe the tags would do.
Hi,
if you have any ideas about tags please post it here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13033
MattPIM_LA
Expert

Post by MattPIM_LA »

Next APPLET at the very least: I recommend a full-featured robust search and replace applet for CONTACTS that can S&R on text, regular expressions, ?/* wildcards for the full database, selected records or selected fields. Plus it should allow default values upon database creation or subsequent, for selected fields as well. ALSO it would be good to tweak the current TEXT FIND feature in contacts - should have option to turn off immediate search, be able to search when requested. Its a little weird to see those contacts jiggling up and down as you type each letter - entertainment at the least!
ypim
Guru

Post by ypim »

MattPIM_LA wrote:Next APPLET at the very least: I recommend a full-featured robust search and replace applet for CONTACTS that can S&R on text, regular expressions, ?/* wildcards for the full database, selected records or selected fields. Plus it should allow default values upon database creation or subsequent, for selected fields as well. ALSO it would be good to tweak the current TEXT FIND feature in contacts - should have option to turn off immediate search, be able to search when requested. Its a little weird to see those contacts jiggling up and down as you type each letter - entertainment at the least!
Your suggested S&R would also be fine for the whole EPIM, not only contacts, right?
Please explain this a bit
  • "Plus it should allow default values upon database creation or subsequent, for selected fields as well."
  • "ALSO it would be good to tweak the current TEXT FIND feature in contacts - should have option to turn off immediate search, be able to search when requested."
It sounds very intersting. :)
Fluffy Spider
Novice

Post by Fluffy Spider »

I think a Project Module would be brilliant; but how far would you go? you could almost build a full MRP system if you had the resources, do you want financials involved? I think most people would want the basic aspects of Project - milestones etc so that a project can be managed within the allocated time and people also want to understand when milestones are not realized what the impact is.

A Database Module would also be brilliant; most computers do not have a database and most people default to excel for this. An internal database that can handle internally stored files would be great. A database where you can create multidimensional tables and reports. Also an import routine from excel or text / SQL so you can grab data into a table, limit dimensions to the last quarter and the items to a particular customer and start thinking of what the market is doing.

Just my 2 cents worth...
kocyk84

Post by kocyk84 »

journal/diary module would be great! minimum for me is option to sort notes with dates information
ypim
Guru

Post by ypim »

Fluffy Spider wrote:I think a Project Module would be brilliant; but how far would you go? you could almost build a full MRP system if you had the resources, do you want financials involved? I think most people would want the basic aspects of Project - milestones etc so that a project can be managed within the allocated time and people also want to understand when milestones are not realized what the impact is.

A Database Module would also be brilliant; most computers do not have a database and most people default to excel for this. An internal database that can handle internally stored files would be great. A database where you can create multidimensional tables and reports. Also an import routine from excel or text / SQL so you can grab data into a table, limit dimensions to the last quarter and the items to a particular customer and start thinking of what the market is doing.

Just my 2 cents worth...
votes added