Suggestion - Copy contact to clipboard

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

jstiel
Beta Team

Suggestion - Copy contact to clipboard

Post by jstiel »

I think it would be veryhelpful to be able to copy the name, title and address of the contact in the clipboard with just one operation rather than line by line. This would be very helpful for copying and pasting to a letter.

It would also be helpful to also copy the other contact info this way since it would be any easy way to copy and paste the contact info into an email if it is requested by someone.
jstiel
Beta Team

Post by jstiel »

While I'm at it, an "address card" view option ala Outlook would be nice too (super program as it is though I must say).
Max
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion - Copy contact to clipboard

Post by Max »

jstiel wrote:I think it would be veryhelpful to be able to copy the name, title and address of the contact in the clipboard with just one operation rather than line by line. This would be very helpful for copying and pasting to a letter.
Good idea! But different users would, most probably want to copy different items into clipboard,- does it mean we have to make an option of what to copy when pressing "copy"?

Address card option is scheduled for 2.0 release so far.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
KiT
Novice

Post by KiT »

I can not find this in Version 2.02. Was this added?

Thanks,
KiT
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

KiT wrote:I can not find this in Version 2.02. Was this added?

Thanks,
KiT
No such feature was implemented. As you see, our previous response was in year 2005.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
KiT
Novice

Post by KiT »

Thanks for your fast reply. I had noticed this. I was hoping this would bring the topic back up to the front of your "To do List".
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

Sidekick 97,98,99, etc., had a VERY HANDY method to copy a record. Ctrl+C copied all fields in the order it was displayed on the screen. There was also a Ctrl+Y which had a setup screen in which you could select specific fields, as well as add other simple text, in a specific order. I used it to set up a simple VCF card format, and with a macro in UltraEdit that grabbed the clipboard, would save a vcf card in a specific directory. Double clicking that would launch Outlook's contact log for inclusion into the log.

The Ctrl+Y method would give the flexibility that you want here. Sidekick only allowed one custom setup, but I don't see any reason you couldn't have various setups depending on the specific database loaded.

Yes, I'm migrating from Sidekick. EPIM is still a long way off, but getting closer. I'm just starting to play with it, but find myself always going back to Sidekick for things like this. (Another is multiple custom databases...)
Blastcher Hide

Post by Blastcher Hide »

Wow, another Sidekick carry-over! I held onto that program for way too long, because I couldn't find anything half as good. Spent many months trying out different PIMs, wound up with this one. Great program, but I still miss Sidekick!

Sorry for the aside.
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

I finally moved over fully to EPIM in Aug 2018, because the company removed my Admin rights on my laptop - there was no way to install Sidekick without me tinkering with the registry. But I really miss a couple of SK features, especially this Ctrl-Y copying of specific fields of a contact.

I also miss how easy it was to paste contact info into a record to create a new contact. SK stripped out CR's, so I could paste into a field and then clean up the field afterward. With EPIM, I have to carefully copy only the info that goes into a field, which usu. means pasting something I copied elsewhere into Notepad and then carefully selecting only the material that goes into to EPIM field. It's quite a bit more tedious.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

I am not 100% sure if that's what you need, but you can copy-paste whole Contact in EPIM- creating an identical copy of a contact.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
jsc
Guru

Post by jsc »

Max,
Copying the whole contact in EPIM is how I add a contact with basically the same info as the new one that I want to add. So that works fine. It's when I'm trying to add a contact with significantly new info, such as different company, address, etc. that it would be nice to paste into each field and then quickly edit the field. SK used to strip out CR's and tabs in the copied data, making everything I pasted into the field one long line. I just found that quicker to work with.
kimbo

Post by kimbo »

And just exactly how is that accomplished? The EPIM Help offers no clue when I search it for "copy contact".
Thank you for your help!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Select the contact you wish to copy to clipboard and press Ctrl+C on the keyboard or right mouse click -> Copy.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!