EssentialPIM 7.0 Release Candidate 2 is here!

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: Max, TerryRogers

Pinkie
Novice

Re: EssentialPIM 7.0 Release Candidate 1 is here!

Post by Pinkie »

I have to say I'm really quite impressed with the new look. It manages to take a nice neat professional looking desktop application and make it look like a $2 app in early development.

I'd be intrigued to hear the story behind how this happened. It kind of looks like a strange mashup of some of the worst design choices made in the last decade by many of the big software companies. Thankfully most of them have since learned their lessons from dramatic user backlash. Hopefully that doesn't have to reapeat itself here.

Please listen carefully to the few users of this fourm who seem to give real feedback and suggestions. They are seriously a huge spotlight sized guiding light into a better direction.

Scotty
Guru

Post by Scotty »

EPIM v7 just doesn't work for me.
I've tried, I have honestly tried to like v7. But I can't. :cry:

The bleached interface is uncomfortable to look at. When I switch over to V6.X my eyes sigh in relief.
Ahh that's better.

EPIM v7 assaults my eyes.
EPIM v6x soothes them.

I know that EPIM v6 is no beauty-queen but after using v7, v6x looks & feels great.
EPIM v7 makes me appreciate v6x more.

Text in EPIM v7-Tasks is so huge it looks like a cartoon.
I reckon you could read my TASKS form the International Space station.
Things you can see from space with the unaided eye, Great Wall of China & EPIM7 Tasks txt.

My working windows in all modules are smaller. And with all icons, side-calendars & txt bloated out, I can list less, see less, use less.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure EPIM v7 will be great program for the 28 people in the world who bought touch-enabled PC's.
But for me it's regression. Going backwards.

v7 is not comfortable to use. Interface is bleak & stark.
v7 pales in comparison against v6 in term of usable space.
v7's Tasks txt size makes EPIM looks like it's made for Children.

No, for me, v6x wins the race.
V7 is left wheezing & coughing at the starter point, eating v6x's dust
difference.jpg
Sorry

ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

Reference "Tags":

I am starting to appreciate "tags" the way they are implemented in v7. I would use them mainly in the Notes module.

I understand that by typing a new word, starting with the symbol "#", EPIM automatically generates a tag for that word. But, there is no quick way to change an untagged word into a tagged word without re-typing it with the "#" in front. Further, one might want a word to start with a "#" and not be tagged - that's simple, first type the word, then add a "#" in front afterwards.

My suggestion is that a previously untagged word could be tagged by simply highlighting that word, then right click on it to bring up the current menu with the addition of a menu pad called "Tag". What this would do would be to insert a "#" in front of the word and then create a tag for it.

At least in the Notes module, there is a bug in the Search box, at the extreme upper right corner of the screen. If I select "Tag" from the dropdown menu next to the magnifying glass icon, both tagged and non-tagged words are found. It should only find tagged words, otherwise, it's no different from the "All fields" choice.

Gene
PC Desktop: Window 10 Pro, three 4K monitor extended display system.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Note 8, Android 8 - linked with Samsung Gear 3 watch and original Pebble watch.

ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

Scotty wrote:EPIM v7 just doesn't work for me.
I've tried, I have honestly tried to like v7. But I can't. :cry:

The bleached interface is uncomfortable to look at. When I switch over to V6.X my eyes sigh in relief.
Ahh that's better.

EPIM v7 assaults my eyes.
EPIM v6x soothes them.

I know that EPIM v6 is no beauty-queen but after using v7, v6x looks & feels great.
EPIM v7 makes me appreciate v6x more.

Text in EPIM v7-Tasks is so huge it looks like a cartoon.
I reckon you could read my TASKS form the International Space station.
Things you can see from space with the unaided eye, Great Wall of China & EPIM7 Tasks txt.

My working windows in all modules are smaller. And with all icons, side-calendars & txt bloated out, I can list less, see less, use less.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure EPIM v7 will be great program for the 28 people in the world who bought touch-enabled PC's.
But for me it's regression. Going backwards.

v7 is not comfortable to use. Interface is bleak & stark.
v7 pales in comparison against v6 in term of usable space.
v7's Tasks txt size makes EPIM looks like it's made for Children.

No, for me, v6x wins the race.
V7 is left wheezing & coughing at the starter point, eating v6x's dust
difference.jpg
Sorry
Scotty - your use of the word "bleached" (maybe that should have been "bleached out") for describing the look of EPIM v7, when compared to EPIM v6 (at least on my PC desktop monitor as opposed to a PC notebook), is "right on target". Other words I could use would be "faded" and "washed out". I believe that the "greyscaling" (contrast) between the typeable text area and non-typeable areas is too great. What might be a solution is an option to set the contrast amount to suit an individual's preference - by simply being able to chose the font color for the non-typeable areas.

As for the new overall layout of EPIM v7, IMHO it has improved from the first v7 beta. I have two desktop PCs with monitors side by side, one running EPIM v6 and the other running EPIM v7 with the same copy of my Firebird database. I agree with you, EPIM v6 looks better, but I think the developers seem to have committed to the new layout. But, as I wrote earlier, they have done some "tweaks" to the new layout to make it better.

Gene
PC Desktop: Window 10 Pro, three 4K monitor extended display system.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Note 8, Android 8 - linked with Samsung Gear 3 watch and original Pebble watch.

VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

The new features are great, but it makes me dizzy to try to use it, the month calendar is the worst.
The lines around the days of the month is almost invisible. Too much white everywhere.
I have tried to like 7.0RC.

Victor

PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

For me it's the same as previous messages. I tried 7.0 from beta1 and I have to say that the RC1 is much better than beta1, but still I can not get used to it. To much wasted space, too "white" (especially in Win7 with the classic theme), missing reordering in contacts etc. etc. (see previous messages and responses in the beta section).

As I see it now I will check EPIM for future development, but won't be using newer versions (EPIM and Android) anymore. Too bad :(
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM Pro portable 9.00 // Android EPIM 5.7.3

paulg
Novice

Post by paulg »

I have to agree with other here, not usable for me in its present state, I don't like the new theme colors, just change for the sake of change - certainly no improvement. I like the idea of tags that would be very useful but ***Why*** change the look of the whole program, the change serves no purpose whatsoever - back to the drawing board for the developers before they release the next version
I have now removed the RC version - no point in testing further :(
Paul
--------------------------------
http://www.ipgphotography.com
----------------------------------
EssentialPim-Pro, Windows7 64bit

Scotty
Guru

Post by Scotty »

Agreed
After years of use & hundreds of comments in the forum I do feel personally invested in EPIM.
So it is with genuine heart-felt disappointment when I say, I want no part of EPIM when it looks like that.
I have a life-time license but if this is the future of EPIM, then v6.58 is as far as I go.

The next version of EPIM I ever consider looking at, will have colour.
Except for that, I'm finished with EPIM :cry:

salamander
Novice

Re: EssentialPIM 7.0 - network edition?

Post by salamander »

URGENT:

There is no mention of the use of V7 in an EPIM Network. We are currently running EPIM Network Edition on our in-house server, with Network-edition Pro clients.

We need to know now, before we download the V7 and possibly destroy our working EPIM network, is there a network edition of V7? If there is, is it stable, does it read/write to the V6 database, why is it not mentioned in the V7 publicity and where is the download link? Do all the activation passwords etc. work without reinstalling?

If not, when will there be?

It's ok to tease us with Pro 7 but what about us poor network users? This is urgent because now we are really using EPIM on our little multi-user network and we're getting in quite a mess with to-dos. A tagging system as in V7 sounds like it may be of help.

dennishays

Re: EssentialPIM 7.0 Release Candidate 2 - Proxy Issues

Post by dennishays »

Using Release Candidate 2 (Lifetime license holder).
I have consistently had poor experiences using EP Pro in an environment where proxies are necessary. Using my home desktop and laptop without proxies, EP is fantastic--it's always been my calendar of choice. I use Google Calendar as a base from which I synchronize the aforementioned systems, as well as my Android smart phone.

The proxy issue rears its ugly head when I use my work system (Windows 7 Enterprise - 22GB RAM - 52GB HDD free space). I have three different proxies I can use to get to the 'outside' world and I have many other applications using the same proxies without issue.

At this time, the only recourse I have is to use Google Drive/OneDrive as a 'transfer station' and sync to the DB file and/or backup file, but this requires I use my personal systems to update these files each evening, so I can be fresh in the morning at work.Of course, if there are any daily changes, I need to reverse this process to be certain my personal systems are current.

Dennis Hays

esque

ePIM 7.0 RC2 only shows/syncs one CalDAV calendar?

Post by esque »

I tested ePIM Pro 7.0 RC2.
I added synchronization of two CalDAV calendars from the same provider. But ePIM only shows the appointments/tasks from the calendar that I synced last (I set up one way sync server -> ePIM).

Having only 1 calendar is a deal-breaker.

MetalDrop
Guru

Re: EssentialPIM 7.0 - network edition?

Post by MetalDrop »

salamander wrote:URGENT:

There is no mention of the use of V7 in an EPIM Network. We are currently running EPIM Network Edition on our in-house server, with Network-edition Pro clients.

We need to know now, before we download the V7 and possibly destroy our working EPIM network, is there a network edition of V7? If there is, is it stable, does it read/write to the V6 database, why is it not mentioned in the V7 publicity and where is the download link? Do all the activation passwords etc. work without reinstalling?

If not, when will there be?

It's ok to tease us with Pro 7 but what about us poor network users? This is urgent because now we are really using EPIM on our little multi-user network and we're getting in quite a mess with to-dos. A tagging system as in V7 sounds like it may be of help.
Hi, I do not have a network license, however I have used the Pro Beta/RC in network use cases for testing using it's trial mode. As far as I can tell all the network features are still in tact you just need the firebird server from version 6 which you should already have. However as a long time users of many types of in development software I'd recommend taking a step back and waiting well RCs are usually pretty stable and finished they can still take dramatic shifts, if bugs are found or when there is strong users backlash to them. (Which seems to be happening here). Because they are still in testing they should also be considered dangerous to your data as well, so if you choice to use one make full tested backups of everything to ensure that you can roll back easily.

Once more: If you are running EPIM for important tasks I strongly recommend staying on the current stable version 6 for your network, and only using Version 7 to test in a safe test environment.
Windows 7 64-bit US-ENG & Windows 10 64-bit US-ENG, Intel i7 7700k, 32GB DDR4, Nvidia & AMD Ryzen 2600 16GB DDR4 Nvidia 1080ti
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, please note however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]

Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

thank you for your suggestions and bug reports. It is extremely difficult to reply to each one of you.
If you expect a reply, please make a new topic.
Network version is in progress and will be released with final 7.0 version.
Maxim,
EPIM Team

rundemn
Novice

Post by rundemn »

1. I use the tablet on windows with a standard screen resolution,
but I can not use epim program without a mouse.
the panel is very thin, it is impossible to change their position.
2. how to disable the logs? per month log file size was somewhat
GB !!! is on the tablet with built-in memory of 32 gigabytes.
why the program is so casually refers to the device resources?
3. If the IMAP mailbox is not available, continually shows an error window that opens when a few sekundr after opening.
Not really impossible to make the option to completely turn off the window, or hide it in the system tray, as in THE BAT
Attachments
panel.jpg

Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Logs can be disabled in Tools-> Options-> Sychronization
Maxim,
EPIM Team