EssentialPIM 7.0 Release Candidate 3

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: Max, TerryRogers

Max
Site Admin

EssentialPIM 7.0 Release Candidate 3

Post by Max »

Its time again to release EPIM 7.0 RC 3.

This version fixes many issues found by EPIM users during testing of RC2, as well as has some user interface improvements.
As before, you can try 7.0 version and revert to 6.58 with the same database at any time if you wish so.

Downloads:
Pro version:
Desktop: http://www.essentialpim.com/download/be ... MPro70.exe
Portable: http://www.essentialpim.com/download/be ... Port70.zip

Free version:
Desktop: http://www.essentialpim.com/download/be ... lPIM70.exe
Portable: http://www.essentialpim.com/download/be ... Port70.zip

Full list of new features in 7.0: https://goo.gl/ta3eqX
Maxim,
EPIM Team

MetalDrop
Guru

Re: EssentialPIM 7.0 Release Candidate 3

Post by MetalDrop »

First impression is that I'm really enjoying the better classic theme support. :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good :) If you notice any more inconsistencies regarding how the program looks like on classic themes, please let us know and we'll do out best to improve further.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!

Scotty
Guru

Post by Scotty »

First impression is...nothing has changed. Some bugs might be fixed, somewhere.
But its still white, still boring, still fat, still utterly beaten by v6x

Sorry :(

FireBrand2026
Expert

Post by FireBrand2026 »

This is much better! Still has some rough spots but a very big improvement overall.

Obviously the padding and missing guidelines are still an issue, but it hasn't been that long since these changes started and this is a great first step. I really have to thank you for doing this one first. I know a lot of the people on the forums probably wished the padding issue got addressed first, but to a degree one can live with padding this one really makes a world of difference in a variety of peoples lives.

The big standouts are the gray front used in the calendar, and the grey icons used in the toolbars and editors. Truthfully I think it would be best done with a option for pure black, color, or pure white that way any theme would be able to work. Though that dose add a lot of time, in my experience pure black tends to work for the vast
BigStepFoward.png

MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

admin wrote:Good :) If you notice any more inconsistencies regarding how the program looks like on classic themes, please let us know and we'll do out best to improve further.
The only two I've found thus far are in the contact add window:
One at the edge of the Membership field, and the other being the odd background on the Notes toolbar.
2016-05-26_110806.png
Attachments
2016-05-26_110926.png
2016-05-26_110926.png (1.05 KiB) Viewed 6110 times

jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

Will see if this build up chucks like RC2 did when it was doing syncs to Google

norsea
Guru

Post by norsea »

Scotty wrote:First impression is...nothing has changed. Some bugs might be fixed, somewhere.
But its still white, still boring, still fat, still utterly beaten by v6x

Sorry :(
Yes,I agree completely. EPIM 7 is very sorry looking.

I don't see this product jumping off the shelves with the interface looking so bad.

I continue to be astounded that this is being presented as a viable option for release.

At least there is space on a loptop screen to read email now.

Other than that I have to agree that it looks very bad. Definitely not something I can recommend to anyone. It really huts my eyes just to look at the screen with everything so monochrome/flat/ugly/etc./etc.

peterarev
Novice

Post by peterarev »

I just posted this in the Suggestion Forum, but thought I'd mention it here to see if it has been considered:

Re: Sync Android with .EPIM file on desktop PC ???

I have a meeting Recurring on the Last day of each month. My Free desktop version has a provision for this, but the Android Pro app does not. Why would a Pro Android version not even have all the features of the current Free PC version? Do I have to manually look for and set any months with 5 certain days of the week in them? Even though the desktop version is set for the Last Tuesday of the Month, the sync does not reflect that option choice on the Android app.

Is there a Forum category for bugs / feature requests? I'll look around and see if I can find it.

ninoEPIM
Expert

Post by ninoEPIM »

I expressed my concern in the Italian language in the forum; what was true for the ver. RC2 largely remains valid also for the RC3. Some important points:
1. The graphic impact is not staggering, remains flat. Excellent choice instead regarding the label text: very legible.
2. It remains a weak point of EPim having to think about where you are, whether you write a note to a task. Lack of clear references and, I know I am repeating myself, traceability, especially for notes. In the midst of the work is inconvenient to stop to ask "But ... in which card I write? On what project I'm working on? ...". I would propose to better highlight the active cards by acting on color or on the edges.
3. It seems incorrect automatic focus on the present day, in Calendar. If for just a few days I display setting of the week (eg, 3), the opening of EPIM makes me Calendar see the BEGINNING of the week (Monday, Wednesday ...), although maybe it's Friday! So, I convinced that it is the right day ... hard commitments in the past.

I hope I have made it quite clear and I apologize for mistakes. If there was a need for clarification, just ask.

P.S.
A last note:It would be useful to move a task (a note, a appointment...)into another project (or tree, format...) by selecting it from contestual menu.

Ciao from Italy

Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

Good to see that suggestions are starting to be taken to heart. Still has a ways to go compactness, less gray font usage, guidelines, color & flatness but a start is a start and this one is a darn good improvement to being able to use it day-to-day. It was quite amazing just how distracting all those funky white blocks really were.

As for the people having issues with "sea of white" being hard on the eyes maybe y'all should give windows 7/vista/xp... classic theme a go they are pretty nice for hard work. I can hardly imagine people truly wanting to stare at their computers all day with the default windows 7/8/10 themes they are an eyesore and a half. Now if you are using windows 8/10 and not happy with the sea of white then be adding your voices to the sea of complaints targeted at Microsoft it could use every voice it can get. Really they are the most at fault software developers shouldn't have to fix their poor excuse for a native "modern" theme engine.

salamander
Novice

Wake-up, smell the dollars

Post by salamander »

I freely admit that I've not been motivated to download V7 when we have a V6 groupware system running, so I am speaking merely theoretically.

Anyway, for what it's worth, have you not been in an Apple store anytime in the past ten years or so? What we see is extensive use of white space, clean modern lines and yes, icons spaced out using up what was, in the DOS days, valuable desktop space. I've never heard of a single soul out of the hundreds of millions of Apple users complaining about white-space eye strain. Have you?

We have young women in our office (30s) and the biggest complaint about EPIM 6 is that everything is crushed together in an old-fashioned way. To them, their generation and EPIMs future customers, familiar with EPIMs competitors (Huddle etc.) I have not the slightest doubt that the product needs modernising. What old gits like me and my generation might think as ideal is offputting to the next generation. We are, in the great scheme of things, a competitive irrelevance.

So I'd say, well done EPIM for sensing the market and providing solutions. Get real folks!

(But I may be completely wrong and V7 may be a step too far .... :lol: :oops: )

arielgiordano

Post by arielgiordano »

la nueva version parece funcionar bien, gracias por la ayuda

mibk
Novice

Post by mibk »

I see everything too big, particulary on EPIM Today, Calendar and Tasks. I need to decrease font siza and line spacing.how I do that?.

dmmos
Experienced

Post by dmmos »

I've got the error as soon as right clicked in the Tasks window. See the screenshot attached.
Attachments
error.JPG