Essential PIM for Linux?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Josealdo94
Novice

Essential PIM for Linux?

Post by Josealdo94 »

Hey guys, might be switching over to Linux. Does anybody know of any way to use Essential PIM with Linux, as I'm pretty sure it's only for windows and mobile now?
TumbleDoor
Guru

Re: Essential PIM for Linux?

Post by TumbleDoor »

For the most part it works fine under wine, you just need to get IE installed in the same prefix.
That said the older versions like 6.58 tend to work a lot smoother under wine than the 7x versions. 7.2x+ seem to be the most prone to oddities.

That said though depending on how you use EPIM it may make life a lot easier to just switch to something else. After all really using wine for anything other than entertainment is kind of iffy since you never know when things are going to break an unless it's super popular or you have the skills to do it yourself chances are it's going to go a long time without being fixed, therefore if you do use wine it is best to stick to an old static version of something and avoid updating it unless you feel up to the potential of a major challenge that day.
Josealdo94
Novice

Post by Josealdo94 »

Thanks a lot for this answer. I wasn't aware that the 6.58 version runs smoother in this circumstance, I will definitely read up more on it. Overall I really like EPIM and I would prefer not to switch. In terms of usage with linux, I do agree that it takes more skill to maintain or even customize, however it can be much more flexible. I was doing some more reading about the differences between Linux and Windows on this article, and my previous perceptions about the usability of linux area definitely proven correct.

Thanks, for the answer, and if anybody else has experience with this please feel free to share.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

I use Manjaro Linux half the time Windows the other half. 7.13 was the last version to work decently under wine, though it never worked as well as 6.58 and since database compatibility was broke in 7.2x I moved back to using a portable copy of 6.58 on Linux that I use mostly so I can keep notes with email between OS's.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Josealdo94
Novice

Post by Josealdo94 »

MetalDrop wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:37 pm I use Manjaro Linux half the time Windows the other half. 7.13 was the last version to work decently under wine, though it never worked as well as 6.58 and since database compatibility was broke in 7.2x I moved back to using a portable copy of 6.58 on Linux that I use mostly so I can keep notes with email between OS's.
Thanks for sharing!