DUMBFOUNDED!

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

mvisconte
Beta Team

DUMBFOUNDED!

Post by mvisconte »

I don't even remember why I came to the EPIM forums today....

I was working my way in through a new browser (no bookmarks), and had to navigate in from scratch.

I got to https://www.essentialpim.com/support and was scanning it, about to click into our user areas, when something happened to catch my eye.

I evidently never knew that we HAVE A HELP MANUAL!
https://www.essentialpim.com/help/epim_pro.pdf

I am ... Amazed! Speechless! Dumbfounded! Stupefied! In short, I'm all "doh!" about it.

Wonderful. I haven't even read it, but I'm giddy.

Quick check, it's dated Oct 2019, with 193 pages, and all sorts of interesting additional data - heh... they don't supply support over the phone, but I can call the EPIM office now and ask about the weather, etc.!.

Is it strange that I'm this excited about this, or just a sign that I've been self-isolating too much?
MetalDrop
Guru

Re: DUMBFOUNDED!

Post by MetalDrop »

You can also get to the forums and the same information as in the PDF from the help menu inside EPIM itself using the Help menu: [The Help Contents is the same information as in the PDF, but in native windows help format.]
2020-04-14_143012.jpg
2020-04-14_143012.jpg (28.86 KiB) Viewed 4110 times

Almost all windows programs have really nice manuals built into the help menu. Generally the first thing I do is read them when I start using a new program, as the starting page often have great tips, tricks or need to know information.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Great you did such a discovery). Indeed, most Windows applications have Help-> Help menu, it's kind of standart.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
mvisconte
Beta Team

Post by mvisconte »

All,

I have used the Help facilities in Windows before (most are linked to "F1" - the first function button). They usually jump out of the application - which is fine, once you are expecting that. Sometimes, they launch the default browser, which can be infuriating, if they aren't set up to respect the tab settings.

Regarding EPIM -- In my case, at least -- F1 doesn't work as I would expect, and neither does menu "Help" > "Help Contents". In either case, nothing happens.

I can open the help files directly - through navigating to the location with File Explorer, and launching EssentialPIM.chm -- but I gave up on the EPIM CHM files a while ago. I think that there was a period where it was not being updated, or just seemed to lack amounts of information, and trying to use it was an exercise in frustration.
I periodically check EssentialPIM.chm for updates, but it is not "up TO date", and the indexes are lacking.

So, for me, finding a "published" document WAS a big deal.

It's not neat, new, and nifty for anybody else, but for me, for one bright, shining, instant of time, it was a source of amazement. I'm not dumbfounded any more... now I just feel dumb for my enthusiasm over the unexpected find.
And that's the way it is... ;-)
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

We actually update the Help file regularly. True, it may not always be 100% up-to-date, but it is still regularly worked on.
F1 works on my tests, as well as Help-> Help contents, thus not sure, why it does not work on yours...
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

Realized today that Help>Help Contents on my EPim 9 installation also does not work.
Any ideas?

Windows 10
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

Help does not work for me ether.

Win10 Pro Ver. 1909 (OS Build 18363.836) 64-bit, EPIM Pro Life 9.0
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

It doesn´t work for me either.... from EPIM. But that is not so bad- just go to your EPIM programm folder, here you find EssentialPIM.chm- this is the help-file, you can manually open it.
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

a8907433 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:08 pm It doesn´t work for me either.... from EPIM. But that is not so bad- just go to your EPIM programm folder, here you find EssentialPIM.chm- this is the help-file, you can manually open it.
True, but not nearly as convenient. Have also downloaded the PDF Help file - but the Help Menu option SHOULD work....
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Thank you, will fix it.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

Thanks,
Help works now.
Dierk
Expert

Post by Dierk »

VictorParkerPIM wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:23 pm Thanks,
Help works now.
Yep: Version 9.1.1 restored the Help file here as well.