Grammar Checking in EPIM

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Whicer grammar checker would you most like in EPIM?

Antidote $130 [lifetime version] $60 Upgrades every 3~ish years for major versions.
64%
Grammarly $12/mo to $30/mo
No votes
LanguageTool $5/mo to $19/mo
No votes
ProWritingAid $7/mo to $20/mo or $400 lifetime
No votes
Other (please specify below)
No votes
Neither. The spell checker included in EPIM is enough for me
36%

Total votes: 14

SilverSound
Expert

Grammar Checking in EPIM

Post by SilverSound »

I was going to reply to this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&hilit=antidote&p=1136 ... 973fb43114

With a +1 and an insert, but after I thought about it, I realized that rather than +1 a threat that comes off as edgy I would make a poll in general chat to see if we can't get more people involved.

After looking at the thread and others here, I don't think it's realistic to vote for an add-on system to allow everything, because it's too big of a request, and would have to be a special undertaking by the developers as a long-term investment to compete with office suits.

So instead, in the spirit of the way things work best here if enough of us want/need something realistic and not overly big, we usually get it.

For this poll, I picked the 4 most likely to win options, and most likely to be easy to integrate after briefly looking at the API documentation.

Things I would like to note to people voting:

#1 You can re-vote.
If after a week what you voted on is losing, please think about if the option that is winning could really work for you, and consider changing your vote to join a consolidated effort as that is our best bet for getting a grammar checking option in EPIM.

#2 All of these options have free trials, though Antidote's free trial is heavy requiring a 2GB download and install, whereas the others can be trialed in a web browser.

#3 Antidote is the only option that works well on your local computer and doesn’t require all your text to be sent to a server on the internet, making it the only good privacy option. It also makes it the only option on the list that is unlikely to suddenly break or no longer be able to be offered.

* Prices are rounded up to the nearest $ and are in USD.
FireBrand2026
Guru

Re: Grammar Checking in EPIM

Post by FireBrand2026 »

Grammerly has a free tier, and is what I use in Word.

That said, I voted for Antidote since I've been using the trial for the passed 15 days and believe it is a better value than Grammerly's paid service and am planing on buying it at the end of my trial period.

I especially like the fact it runs on my local computer and I'm not limited to the internet.
For anyone worried about system resources, it has a tray system that gives you hotkey access to it's dictionary program, and a copy/past hotkey for checking anywhere (doesn't work good for EPIM though as it's plain text only and will destroy rich text formatting which is why we need integration.) The try system takes up 11MB of ram and no CPU time unless being used. It can be disabled and then Antidote doesn't use any system resources unless you are using it, but you loss access to the hotkeys which are handy. The built in dictionary is quite nice. [attached some photos since they don't really up-sell it on their site.] [edit: *ignore the little window in the screenshots that says "tom thumb", it was my clip board manger and nothing to do with Antidote. If anyone's curiosity is burning as to what Tomb thumb is; it's a type of pea, I'm planing to order seeds of for the garden next year.]

As a special comment from me:
ProWritingAid's Word add-on is awful, it breaks often, and has tons of other minor issues. Which is saying something since Word is easily the biggest program for them to target and it's a 1st party add-on.
Attachments
2020-10-26_101854.png
2020-10-26_101939.png
2020-10-26_101955.png
2020-10-26_101837.png
Laurent C.
Guru

Post by Laurent C. »

SilverSound wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:02 pm I was going to reply to this post:
EPIM integration with Antidote, the write cure
Post by Laurent C. » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:42 pm
The challenge is still open... :wink:
With a +1 and an insert, but after I thought about it, I realized that rather than +1 a threat that comes off as edgy I would make a poll in general chat to see if we can't get more people involved.
Happy you have considered my post
Not so much success so far for me as it is a big add-on to develop for the EPIM team with architecture consideration around the integration...
I continue to vote for Antitode, of course : :arrow: bang !
EPIM Pro + EPIM Android (AEPIM) / W10 Pro 64 bits FR + Office 2019 Pro Plus
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I updated the poll a bit in order to make it more universal (two new options added at the bottom). Unfortunately all previously submitted votes were lost in the process. Please re-vote.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
S_Belle
Guru

Post by S_Belle »

This is about grammar checkers, so I don't know why EPIMs built in spellchecker was added to the list since it's not in the same category of tools.

Grammar checkers help you with punctuation, miss-used words, informal speech, confusing sentence structures, avoiding wordyiness, real word typos and more around those lines.

Most of them have some kind of spell checking too, but this is more a mini-bonus feature and not what they are intended to be used for.

That said since EPIMs spell checker was brought up, I'd like to say that it has the worst built in English dictionaries I've ever used. Many of the words it flags as misspelled are common real words.

Here are some randomly picked shameful examples of words in my custom dict that EPIM didn't know:

axe [lowercase]
bio/Bio
blonde
faux
Gaia
how'd
inbox
Lucky [Capital]
Mage/mage
Okay
... etc.

I have over 5,000 words in my custom dict almost all of them are common English words.
Rose Ford
Guru

Post by Rose Ford »

S_Belle wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:10 pm That said since EPIMs spell checker was brought up, I'd like to say that it has the worst built in English dictionaries I've ever used. Many of the words it flags as misspelled are common real words.
+1 Worst I've ever used too.

I gave up on adding words in the first week of using EPIM, disabled spellchecking and bought Tinyspell+:
http://www.tinyspell.com/
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

The spell checker works fine, but the dictionaries it uses are indeed outdated. I replaced the dic+aff files in the Dict folder of EPIM with the ones from here (I use en_GB): https://github.com/marcoagpinto/aoo-mozilla-en-dict.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

I do creative writing, so I use a custom Dict from: http://app.aspell.net/create?defaults=en_US

You don't have to replace the default ones though, as if you do, they'll get replaced with updates.

Download as Hunspell, exact to the \Dict folder [if portable not sure about installed version]

Then when you restart EPIM you'll see two English options.
Type a word you know EPIM doesn't know like "inbox" and then switch between the two until you find the right one.

That said, tinyspell+ is awesome, and I use the same custom dict for it too.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Laurent C.
Guru

Post by Laurent C. »

None of these open source style solutions will approach even barely the Antidote spelling and grammar checking...
EPIM Pro + EPIM Android (AEPIM) / W10 Pro 64 bits FR + Office 2019 Pro Plus
Haldex
Guru

Post by Haldex »

All well and good! But what about German? Grammerly is very strong in English but there is nothing in German.

I can't find a Swiss High German dictionary either! What I have found does not work properly.

So I think you should use a tool for spelling that supports not only English but also other languages.

Sorry if I dampen the enthusiasm a bit regarding Antidote.

But before implementing such a good idea, I urge that the existing functions be optimised and made to work in a stable way.

I miss very much that the notes are not directly available for iOS and thus not available on the go. Taking a diversion via Google and syncing twice is not a feasible solution.
Win 11 Prof 64 Bit, 16 GB, 11th Gen Intel i7-11390H 3.4 GHz