Outlook, EssentialPIM, and virtual machine

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

dilbert

Outlook, EssentialPIM, and virtual machine

Post by dilbert »

I am attempting to try EssentialPIM Pro. I have Outlook 2016 and your software installed in the same virtual machine, with the PST files Outlook is using on the host computer.

I am logged into the VM with user rights, and when I try to use EssentialPIM it cannot find any local (in the VM) PST files or on the host computer. When I start EssentialPIM with admin rights I can see the PST files on the host but have an error trying to import them.

Do Outlook 2016, EssentialPIM, and the PST files all need to be on the same host or the same VM? Is it expecting admin rights to also use it after installation? I also tried copying one PST file into the VM where I have Outlook and EssentialPIM, and have this error when I try to import it:

Exception class: EOleSysError
Exception message: Class not registered, ClassID: {4E3A7680-B77A-11D0-9DA5-00C04FD65685}.
Exception address: 005413F6

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Outlook, EssentialPIM, and virtual machine

Post by admin »

I'm not sure if that configuration is going to work, we never tested it. Better to have EPIM installed on the host, import Outlook data into it and then you can move it into VM.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
dilbert

Post by dilbert »

Since I have Office 2016 installed in a VMWare Workstation virtual machine, instead of installing it onto the host also I copied the pst file into the VM. I also usually log into the VM with user rights, but had installed it with admin rights the last time I tried. This time I gave myself admin rights and left it long enough to reinstall and get it all working in the VM. I am now back to user rights and it seems to be working well with the 2-way sync between them.

I really like the program so far. I did not want to have my data synced to Gmail or Outlook online where they could mine it also, and will try syncing it with the Android version next. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice to know it now works as expected, thanks for the update.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!