Decent error reporter: eurekalog

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Telesto
Experienced

Decent error reporter: eurekalog

Post by Telesto »

The current error report is pretty minimalistic. It really surprising that developers can do with that little info. And kind of cumbersome for the user too The need having a e-mail client installed (while managing e-mails with EssentialPIM). I'm pretty content with https://www.eurekalog.com/index.php

It's affordable; assuming single developer license but even a multi-developer license is doable. I would hope that amount is made in month (or ideally week or shorter period).
admin
Site Admin

Re: Decent error reporter: eurekalog

Post by admin »

Thanks for the tip, will have a look at the suggested solution.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

On the other hand, it's a Personal Information Manager which can be kept totally offline.
I'd think ten times before hitting a Report button that'll send who knows what from a software with my passwords, and then won't do it.
With how it is now, the whole process of error reporting is transparent:
- after getting an error you see the error log (with how brief it is, it's easy to see that it doesn't contain any sensitive data)
- and as you are sending it via email or posting it on this forum, you are left in control that nothing is being sent 'behind the scenes'.
Telesto
Experienced

Post by Telesto »

Keldi wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:09 am On the other hand, it's a Personal Information Manager which can be kept totally offline.
I'd think ten times before hitting a Report button that'll send who knows what from a software with my passwords, and then won't do it.
With how it is now, the whole process of error reporting is transparent:
- after getting an error you see the error log (with how brief it is, it's easy to see that it doesn't contain any sensitive data)
- and as you are sending it via email or posting it on this forum, you are left in control that nothing is being sent 'behind the scenes'.
I think it can be configured that way. You need to press the send button. (You can reject) And I think it shows all info in dialog what will be send. Or can be made to show summary what will be send in (Eurekalog does send it by e-mail). It surely possible it might catch some confidential stuff (as it does report memory leaks).

Modus can be found where everything is in a proper balance. Better dumps a really useful to figuring out bugs. And I love reading stacks so I get some impression for distilled steps to reproduce. It's great tool for making EssentialPIM more reliable. And not sure how save a buggy application is. Those issues might be used/abused by parties.