EPIM file getting large???

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

PIMMSUK
Novice

EPIM file getting large???

Post by PIMMSUK »

What happens when the EPIM database file gets too big? Clearly the bigger the file size the longer it takes to sync, upload and download. What can be done if it gets too big?
a8907433
Guru

Re: EPIM file getting large???

Post by a8907433 »

First, you can optimize it, in: File/Database Management/Optimize.
You can empty trash, delete all not necessary information....

What I do, if it gets to large: delete all not neccessary, otimize- and if still to big: Just copy this database, give it a new name - mydatabase 11.04.2021- then I know, here are all data stored up to this date. And then, you can delete even more in your database, keeping only "REALLY" important information.

But, how big is to big? I work with my db with ~500MB without being to slow, and I know from the forum here, there are users having db-sizes up to 2GB!
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Too big is certainly relative to what you are doing. I have a 50GB database that is synced to google drive with no problems at all and no major speed hits. Google drive like dropbox syncs only the part of the file that has changed not the whole thing, so even with a 50GB databases any changes sync nearly instantly.

Along with what was mentioned above you can also grab EPIE Archiver from the download page:https://www.essentialpim.com/get-epim
and use it to archive content from your database to another one for storage based on age / type.

If you use EPIM for email which is usually the biggest space killer, than you manage space the same way as your email, you can look for emails with huge attachments to delete, make sure your spam and trash are actually deleted [clearing trash in EPIM does not clear trash in your email account they are separate], clear your sent folder if you don't need it for record keeping...etc.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
PIMMSUK
Novice

Post by PIMMSUK »

Thanks for the advice guys. My database is currently 350MB and uploading takes some time. Maybe that's due to my internet speed?
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Probably depends on how your syncing too. I sync the whole database to google drive using the google drive client, not the built in sync method in EPIM.

My internet is pretty slow over all only get 2mb/ps for upload speeds. So if I did a fresh/full 50GB upload it would take 56.9~hrs. XD
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]