Email Attachment Preview???

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

PIMMSUK
Novice

Email Attachment Preview???

Post by PIMMSUK »

Does EPIM not show a preview of email attachments such as PDF documents or JPEG files? It would be very useful so you can see without downloading or opening it.

If it is possible how do you configure it to do that?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Email Attachment Preview???

Post by admin »

Make sure the "View->Show Attached Images Inline" option is enabled in Mail. Thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
PIMMSUK
Novice

Post by PIMMSUK »

I have already switched on "Show Attached Images Inline". I can see inline images within the body of the message. What I meant was how can you preview an attachment such as a PDF without downloading or opening it? Is it not possible to just single click on it to see a preview?
Moosbrugger
Novice

Post by Moosbrugger »

I encountered problems with attachments, too: when trying to open a pdf (or jpg, doc,..) , there was an error message "could not find file [epim dir]/temp/xxx.pdf" or so. But I found out that when starting EPIM as admin, I was able to open attachments. After changing the security properties of the .../TEMP/ subdirectory to 'writeable' for regular users, this also worked with 'normal' rights for the program.
So I think that EPIM tries to automatically write a copy of the attached file to that subdir und open it with the appropriate program -- but as I am running EPIM portable installed in c:/program files/EPIM/ ... this installation doesn't have the necessary rights to access this subdir and I presume that with a portable installation the authors expect some other directory without such restrictions to be used as a location for EPIM.
As far as I can see, in a 'normal' installation some TEMP subdir in the C:/users/UserName/... directory is used where no problems of this kind will occur.
Am I right ?
moosbrugger
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

These are 2 different issues, please do not mix them up.

1. PIMMSUK. That's a feature suggestion about preview for the PDF files. We already have plans for its implementation. Please check how it works in the Notes module, will work the same in Mail, as well.
2. Moosbrugger. Yes, that's correct.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!