Why you DON'T like EPIM?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Max
Site Admin

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Post by Max »

Hello,

You can see version history here: https://www.essentialpim.com/news/version-history
As you can see, since January 2019, there were 5 releases, which accounts for new version every month, with a pretty decent list of features for each release.
Regarding your list of particular features- we understand that this set is important for you, but EssentialPIM is very versatile and used in hundreds of ways. Therefore, when choosing new features to develop, we are guided by how much value to how many users it would bring.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
AJ
Expert

Post by AJ »

Hello,

it was a misunderstanding. At the time I just saw some posts in the forum where since years no EPIM stuff added a note that it's completed and it were some important features for example an issue about consistency of DB in the network version and some other posts. For example an anoying behavior sf EPIM an which the user was pointing at since three years. If a problem was solved or a feature created it would be nice to put a hint in the post that it's ready so the forum users and visitors would know it. As there are for sure also no EPIM users reading the forum they might be wondering if there are since years no completion notes and a . So it looked like the development would stuck or the users were just ignored. As you see I added the hint in my post that I found the version history before you read the post(s) or before you anwsered it, because I only see when you have anwsered. I cannot see if you read it before the change.

What do you think is the best, should I post my feature ideas from above in the suggestions forum and ahorten the above posts?

And about the (statutory) holidays. They could be shown better as I mentioned, for example you put it in the settings and we could add them there so they would be shown the way as in normal calendars, as I proposed. So we could add the in the settings. That would be probably better than putting it as a file which could the translators create. I think it is better if the user puts it itself in, in the setting, if there would be a sections for them.

So let's make EPIM better together.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

AJ, it would be much better if you post suggestions in the suggestions forum, and split them in several topics, - we could discuss those there then.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
mvisconte
Beta Team

Post by mvisconte »

AJ wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:14 pm I will now point out some improvements which may me stay by EPIM or go pro again.
- I cannot really figure out which entry in the trash is a task and which appointment. The icons are to small for me on my pc. I would be good if it were bigger or I could make the whole entries bigger. And I have to figure out how I can make a more clear view in the trash, maybe I should get rid of some of the ...date columns
You can do a couple of things to make this clearer.
  1. You can rearrange the order of the columns in Trash. I usually push the CREATED and MODIFIED columns to the far right.
  2. You can order by any column. It might be helpful to order by the Item Type. It won't make the type ICON any LARGER, but it will group the Calendar items separately than the Task items, and then you only have 1 boundary to worry about.
  3. Hovering over the item will provide a little more information, as Calendar items and Task items may show different information. This may be useful for detecting the single boundary between Calendar and Tasks.
AJ wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:14 pm - it would be good to have the option to delete tasks and appointments directly without going to trash fist if you confirm that you want to do it. I prefer that the most time
You can bypass the Trash by holding the SHIFT button down when you select/click DELETE. This work also if you (Shift/Control) select one (or more) items, you can DELETE them all, by-passing the Trash.
AJ
Expert

Post by AJ »

mvisconte wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:49 pm
AJ wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:14 pm I will now point out some improvements which may me stay by EPIM or go pro again.
- I cannot really figure out which entry in the trash is a task and which appointment. The icons are to small for me on my pc. I would be good if it were bigger or I could make the whole entries bigger. And I have to figure out how I can make a more clear view in the trash, maybe I should get rid of some of the ...date columns
You can do a couple of things to make this clearer.
  1. You can rearrange the order of the columns in Trash. I usually push the CREATED and MODIFIED columns to the far right.
  2. You can order by any column. It might be helpful to order by the Item Type. It won't make the type ICON any LARGER, but it will group the Calendar items separately than the Task items, and then you only have 1 boundary to worry about.
  3. Hovering over the item will provide a little more information, as Calendar items and Task items may show different information. This may be useful for detecting the single boundary between Calendar and Tasks.
AJ wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:14 pm - it would be good to have the option to delete tasks and appointments directly without going to trash fist if you confirm that you want to do it. I prefer that the most time
You can bypass the Trash by holding the SHIFT button down when you select/click DELETE. This work also if you (Shift/Control) select one (or more) items, you can DELETE them all, by-passing the Trash.
Issue. Too small icons and text. Not scalable:

Sure, but I often delete the entries in the trash by date and have them sorted by date by doing this. So I need to get the text and icons bigger to see everything better on the computer monitor. Maybe there could be a feature in EPIM to get the text and icons to 150%, 200% and also to put a custom % in the size field. It is ok that the list will get longer but I want to have it bigger to use EPIM more efficient / faster and more comfortable. The time of small computer displays is over for quite long so EPIM should make possible to scale the user interface and / or content as every pdf viewer and good websites.

Direct deleting without the trash, with check-box:

Ok, but I'm not sure if there comes a check window like are you sure you want to delete this item for ever. And I would like to have a professinal or advanced featrure to set EPIM to delete without using the trash but asking if I am sure I want to delet it permanentlly.
Giulia
Experienced

Post by Giulia »

hi
it's very powerfull ,but just ugly
for example the icons of the navigation pane

and the day ->
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33472

look the small blue circle icon of the day
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33473

under mac i bought fantastical , can you give a look to it ?
it's no matter of good looking program , but with some changes of the gui it will become more intuitive
thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the feedback. The icons will be updated soon along with introduction of the dark mode. Will also see about marking Today on the calendar a bit differently.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Giulia
Experienced

Post by Giulia »

admin wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:54 pm Thanks for the feedback. The icons will be updated soon along with introduction of the dark mode. Will also see about marking Today on the calendar a bit differently.
hi
thanks
Giulia
Experienced

Post by Giulia »

hi
don't want to make a compare , essentialpim vs others
but for example i really like/love fantastical 2 and i bought for my imac and my macbook, essentialpim is the best under windows but could be super with some new features
do you think could be added this feature ? uwhen i type for example -> birt ,essentialpim pro could complete in birthday or i want to create a task and i type something longer like essentialpim pro could use these tecnology A.I.
i love this in fatanstical ,makes everything so easy, called
"Use natural language to quickly create events and reminders"
just the best for essentialpim pro
thanks
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Giulia wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:36 pm hi
don't want to make a compare , essentialpim vs others
but for example i really like/love fantastical 2 and i bought for my imac and my macbook, essentialpim is the best under windows but could be super with some new features
do you think could be added this feature ? uwhen i type for example -> birt ,essentialpim pro could complete in birthday or i want to create a task and i type something longer like essentialpim pro could use these tecnology A.I.
i love this in fatanstical ,makes everything so easy, called
"Use natural language to quickly create events and reminders"
just the best for essentialpim pro
thanks
Thank you, suggestion is noted.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
AJ
Expert

Post by AJ »

I will try again to help you make EPIM better as it was going to slow on some important issues.
We should get forward on:
- getting a feature to make EPIM scalable to make it comfortable on the size of the actual desktops and also for older users
- improve the design for example of the monthly view. Example screenshot:
viewtopic.php?p=107638#p106101
- dark theme as default or second theme. White text is much better on black background

It would be also be better if ...
And I miss that the EPIM team seems not getting good ideas or proposing something like dark theme or anything.
It seems that everything is proposed by the users and because there is no reward the user activity is getting lower since years.
AJ
Expert

Post by AJ »

I forgot to write in the last post that I am missing some advice or tips for better using EPIM with examples.
And the introduction of time management methods.
A searchable blog with the news you post and the mentioned things would be great.
There are only new version posts on the website and no share functionality.
I would appreciate if you would have a blog with this tips and if I could get informed via twitter as well.
Thanks in advance!

P.S.: This is what I forgot to write in the last post so there is an incomplete sentence.
P.P.S.: I don't know if it's better if I would made a suggestion for it. Maybe it would be better. But I wanted to complete the post here so it wouldn't be broken.
AJ
Expert

Post by AJ »

I have some more really good tips but I am, do you say to it in conflict or in cleavage?
I mean I don't know if I should give this tips as I don't want that you think that I know it better or that you don't like me because of this tips as it seems everything to be obvious.
And I'm just a normal user with some marketing knowledge, and don't want to sound as I'm your manager or director.
But you just need to look at some startups and you know how to tie the costumer to you, make them love you and even make them an ambasador for you or superfan of you. Do you say startup or start-up?
As I wasn't really looking for a quite long time what you are doing, as you don't use twitter and this makes me ... angry (just have other word for it on the tongue wright now and don't have the time for looking for it).
So I have posted that the development seems to stuck.
But it seems to stuck as you don't really communicate with the users about new features.
I mean there should be a list with coming features and a roadmap for it and a list with feature proposals, so the users could say what should be implemented next or should I better say first (of them).

Please say me where can I see this information.
Is it only on the beta team or where?
Thanks a lot in advance!
I'm on a conflict or do you say cleavage, if I should write it in this post / thread or make better one post in suggestions on the improvement of the communication with the users, imforming them also by twitter and have a better blog not only pressreleases on new versions and giving some tips, explainig the features and the use of it, and giving some time and personal management tips.

I was some of the first and dedicated EPIM users but you can for sure understand why the users get less involved if you let them (indirectly) know that they are not really involved and you also don't make any feature proposals or I just didn't found them.

By the way could I use the windows desktop version on a tablet? I don't have one yet but I don't know if you can use windows progams on tablet as well. I think they made it possible from windows 8 or 10. Than it would may be a good option for me as you don't have a windows program for smartphones and I don't know if there are some Nokia or Microsoft smartphones. But I think you have to have a windows app for them. Maybe you can answer to my questions and tips from this and last post. I tried to make some paragraphs so you can better answer to the particular issue.
Thanks in advance!

P.S.: Edited to clear typos.
Last edited by AJ on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

AJ, I have EPIM on my (Windows) Tablet too (desktop / portable Version), it works fine. But EPIM has no special tablet mode, it depends on screen size and resolution if you can work with it. For example, om my 10" tablet I can not click "OK" on some windows (in options) because it is outside screen.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

AJ, your suggestions are noted, thank you. In future, please post your suggestions in the " Suggestions" forum.
Regarding development news- we have very detailed log of regular updates that we make: https://www.essentialpim.com/news/version-history
Based on this, despite we do not have a list of future features, I think you can see that EPIM is being regularly and actively developed.
Maxim,
EPIM Team