Why you DON'T like EPIM?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

CTSguy
Novice

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Post by CTSguy »

I do appreciate ePIM. Overall I like the product and use it everyday. However, when you decided to move to variable label fields (not custom fields) you opened up some problems with import, export and sync. I worked with Palm Pilots for nearly 15 years. As long as everything was contained within that system things were very reliable. However, with their variable lable fields syncrhonization, exporting and importing took on a very complex dimension. I see the same thing happening with ePIM since you moved to this technique. In my opinion it is more reliable to allow for custom fields than to approach the ("problem") flexibility of the app as you have.
spyd

Post by spyd »

I've bought EssentialPim.
I'm affraid it's a (very bad) joke:

- when moving a task from a sub task to another one : software closes ...

- bought EssentialPIMCloud : unable to synchronize behind a proxy ( connection closed gracefully)
But there'e still the webapp " almost any information" witha webbrowser ... in fact just a file directory and upadtes doesn't work, no new task, new agenda doesn't record new contact either.

80 bucks spent ..; didn't want to give up!

so bought Android tool that "synchronize every database" as the website says, yes but with wifi, not with Cloud !, if i can put the android and the PC on the same wifi, i can also carry an USB-Key.

other funny tricks:
when creating sub task it appears at the end of list, not beyond the task i was working on...

tried the portable version : error for "unable to unpack" ...

So i have an unusable software, i can't cloud, just as usefull as a sled at the seashore
For this price i should had bought a gold printed handbook and a founatin pen !

there's one good thing : the icon is nice

Thx
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

spyd wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:14 pm - when moving a task from a sub task to another one : software closes ...
that's a bug, obviously, which we would to know more about. But that's not a widespread problem (otherwise we would know it)
spyd wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:14 pm - bought EssentialPIMCloud : unable to synchronize behind a proxy ( connection closed gracefully)
But there'e still the webapp " almost any information" witha webbrowser ... in fact just a file directory and upadtes doesn't work, no new task, new agenda doesn't record new contact either.
80 bucks spent ..; didn't want to give up!
We can fully refund your payment if you are within 30 days moneyback guarantee
spyd wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:14 pm tried the portable version : error for "unable to unpack" ...
That's either incomplete download on your side, or antivirus program blocking EPIM.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
matsch
Novice

Post by matsch »

There is just few points for GUI:
on the reminder window, let's say you have 3 reminders and you want them to "ring" again in 1 hour, when you select 1 hour for the first one then you have to select again and again 1hour for the remaining 2 reminders as it should automatically be the same time as the first one and leave to the user to change it if needed.

also when the reminder window is open and you select the time then the only appointment there should be selected: problem of only appointment being able to be deselected
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for your thoughts. Let me comment on them:
1. What you could do is to select all the required reminders first and then select the desired "Remind in" time for all of them at once.
2. The reminder stays selected it's just that the focus switches from one part of the window to another.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
matsch
Novice

Post by matsch »

Thanks for the first point, but one would want to get rid of the first reminder fist before reading the second etc... (user-friendly)
... for the second it's just that the GUI is not completely user-friendly
matsch
Novice

Post by matsch »

Hi,
The drag-and-drop inside a note does not work. select a line, click on it and try to move it as a drag-an-drop... not working...
is it because I'm using the portable version that this kind of basic feature of a text application is not working for me?
And yes (I answer the foreseen answer) you can always do a cut and paste but drag and drop is easier...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

... for the second it's just that the GUI is not completely user-friendly
That's standard Windows behavior when switching focus from one active control to another in the same dialog window. I don't think we should influence it.
The drag-and-drop inside a note does not work. select a line, click on it and try to move it as a drag-an-drop... not working...
This is a bug, will fix in the next version, thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Joel1245
Novice

Post by Joel1245 »

I've used EPIM but eventually stopped using it after a few short weeks. In some way, I"ve been ruined by using Google Calendar and another task manager web app that syncs with Google Calendar. EPIM for me was slow with sync. I needed something that was lightening fast. Now I'm using Google Calendar with Todoist because it's fast and Todoist is integrating with Google Calendar. If EPIM was available online, in the same way, I think it would draw a lot of users but in its current state, it's too much work to set up and sync. I encountered too many times when it crashed or wouldn't sync properly and to be honest, this kind of software is feeling dated. If EPIM were available online and as quick as other web apps like Google Calendar are, it would explode with users. If you build it, they will come.
danmichsr
Novice

Post by danmichsr »

Inventory........... Or some other name..... Title all by itself like CONTACTS/CALENDAR etc where you could put in your Vehicles/Software Purchases/House/......,,,, Std fields Name of Item, Location, value/Cost etc. It can be done with a work around now but that would be nice to have it separate... Just a thought...... lol, and while your at it put the age of the person on the LIST.... Just a button to click to have it recalculate all the ages or anniversarys.... What a wish list ..
Len
Guru

Post by Len »

danmichsr wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:25 pm Inventory........... Or some other name..... Title all by itself like CONTACTS/CALENDAR etc where you could put in your Vehicles/Software Purchases/House/......,,,, Std fields Name of Item, Location, value/Cost etc. It can be done with a work around now but that would be nice to have it separate... Just a thought...... lol, and while your at it put the age of the person on the LIST.... Just a button to click to have it recalculate all the ages or anniversarys.... What a wish list ..

Surely more of a Post for "Suggestions" than why I don`t like?????
AJ
Expert

Post by AJ »

Feature request:
I am missing holidays / statutory holidays from the begining but as you cannot really add the statutory holidays for every land and year but maybe you could add a feauture so the appearance of the added statutory holidays as whole day appointment would be as in normal calendars.
Maybe you could put a section in the settings or options called holidays where we could put the recurring holidays with the same day each year as new year, christmas etc. and movable holidays as easter which we would put probably only for one year in. So this holidays names would be shown red an with the name in the header of the EPIM Today and no idea how in the "Calendar". In the Calendar it should be the whole day in the same color as sunday and also the name and maybe the date in red somewhere on top. Maybe there could be a second line in the header of the day which would be only addressed over the holidays menu in the settings so you could not edit it by accident in the calendar. I had put the description a bit earlier in the suggestions but this here is more detailed. I don't know wehere would it be better to have it here or in the suggestions as it's quite important, so maybe here.
-------
I was using EPIM on a daily basis but as I couldn't sort the tasks by drag and drop and the EPIM stuff said it would be a problem of my database which I didn't want to send to fix it and I could not fix it myself the way he said I am using it quite little since many years. But as I think now there is no feature to drag and drop tasks to change the order in EPIM Free but only in EPIM Pro. Am I right? So there is an essential feature missing in EPIM Free and is making it quite useless. I think this feature should be in every version of EPIM. There are enough pro features which are really a pro feature but this is an essential feature. An unsorted list of tasks is useless.
And if this feature is really only in EPIM Pro so I don't understand why a moderator and EPIM stuff doesn't know it and tells me to fix the database which didn't helped. And they couldn't fix it for me either. As IT pro I would expect him to think or check first if it's a feauture in my version. I would recommend to create a check list for the support and forum stuff so they would always knew what to check first, second, third an so on. He wrote that he reproduced it but not if he could fix it so why did he want my database to fix it. I don't think that anybody would give his database with personal data to get it fixed it if you can get an instruction how it can be fixed if he could fix it on his database. Quite strange. I still don't know if this is a database problem or if this feature isn't in the free version.

I was very active here in forum at the beginings of EPIM, made many good suggestions for new features and they were very thankfull and one of the head stuff here in forum said I was one of the most active users and with many good ideas, so they could reward me. It would be nice as there were only a very few of top committed users. But since this problem which seems to be a missing feature and not a problem with EPIM or my database, and this bad help I am quite angry because we didn't solve the problem and it seems not to be a problem but (maybe) only a missing essential feature in the free verison. I hope this feature gets in the free version as it's an essential feature and there are really many extra features in the pro so this essential feature can get it the free version! At the moment it's very annoying!

P.S.: I send a private message to the moderator which was talking with me about this problem and hope that we can find out if it is a missing feature in the free version which makes this problems by sorting the tasks. I think I don't get any anwser no more.
P.P.S: I just kicked out a sentence which I mixed up with another software / project where I was very engaged.
Last edited by AJ on Fri May 31, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
locke
Guru

Post by locke »

Why don't you buy the pro Version? I love EPIM. There are only a few euros or dollars!
AJ
Expert

Post by AJ »

I was using the pro version for some time but I don't know anymore why no more. I was also using another program which had sticky notes on the desktop which EPIM has not at the time if I remember well. I don't know anymore if I proposed to add this feature.
I will think about if I should get back to the pro version, use the free version or another program as I found some alternatives.
I am also very sad that the EPIM team didn't managed to have more screenshots and a video presenting the good futures in the pro version as tasks as appointments which would be very nice to use. They were to less presenting the nice futures. I remember there was always only a feature list and a few screenshots but no notes on it explaining some nice features. I found they were doing too less in this direction. You have to show what you have, it doesn't have to be shown so big as some big software firms are showing their new products and features but you should have a hands on video. Ok, now they have a video.

I will now point out some improvements which may me stay by EPIM or go pro again.
- In there are to many appointments and task for a day in the monthly view I would appriciate the whole list by mouse over the day number
- day number by selected day in the monthly view has bad contrast. White number of the selected day would be much better on the blue background
- I cannot really figure out which entry in the trash is a task and which appointment. The icons are to small for me on my pc. I would be good if it were bigger or I could make the whole entries bigger. And I have to figure out how I can make a more clear view in the trash, maybe I should get rid of some of the ...date columns
- it would be good to have the option to delete tasks and appointments directly without going to trash fist if you confirm that you want to do it. I prefer that the most time
- It would be very good to have a notes field on the EPIM Today main window so you could make a note imediately and drag and drop it to the right place in the note section when you have noted it. Can we already make the notes window visable on the main page of EPIM? Ok, just make the note window visable on the main page would not fit because it is far too big with free structure so we just need a note field with a save button which would save the note in a note directory called unsorted notes, new notes or new unsorted notes.
- can we already compress the database as I can on my mail program?

And besides if they didn't want to put a video showing EPIM pro in action big screenshots with two pictures on one comparing the free and pro version features and views with explaining notes would be nice.

P.S.: As I don't see here any save draft function I have to submit the post and edit it to complete it to not lose any of it. I don't know if it would be nice to write instead more short posts.
P.P.S.: I was using the "Quick Reply" and there is no "save draft". But you can imagine that people use automatically the reply option which is near to the last post and don't look for it at the top of the forum. Maybe there is an option to show the "save draft" in the "Quick Reply". If it is so please make it visible. Thank you in advance!
Last edited by AJ on Fri May 31, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AJ
Expert

Post by AJ »

locke wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:51 am Why don't you buy the pro Version? I love EPIM. There are only a few euros or dollars!
Yes, but only if you mean the android version. Thats a few indeed. But by the way it seems for me as if the development of EPIM is going very slooow if I take a look at some important features which users want to have as for example the version check between the EPIM and database version before updating in the network version. And the users seem to be nerved that the development seems to stock and they don't get any feedback. It would be nice to have a feature and suggestions list where you could see which are in doing by now, which put for later and which will probably not get done.
I was missing the near to the user since the begining. They also didn't introduce the team or make anything to make the users want to interact much with them but I was very active at the begining of using EPIM nevertheless. I will look how the things are going in future and will see. I will take a look on the homepage as I would like to know how the development was going on so far but don't think there is a version history. Just found the version history.