Why you DON'T like EPIM?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

AJ
Expert

Re: Why you DON'T like EPIM?

Post by AJ »

a8907433 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:44 pm AJ, I have EPIM on my (Windows) Tablet too (desktop / portable Version), it works fine. But EPIM has no special tablet mode, it depends on screen size and resolution if you can work with it. For example, om my 10" tablet I can not click "OK" on some windows (in options) because it is outside screen.
Tablet mode would be sure better than you could use it better and didn't have the problem with buttons outside the screen.
But if you know that a button for example the "OK" is the default button so you can hit "ENTER" instead and that is the same!
The default button which you can also use by hitting "ENTER" is shown in other way as the other buttons in the same row.
I can vary how it looks like. It depends from different things as windows version, the theme, etc.
Just take a look on your desktop computer to check if "OK" is the default button.
I opened an appointment and "OK" seems to be default but it can vary from window to window.
It would help you a bit but it can be dangerous as the default option or button can vary.

It looks like "OK" is the standard button in Windows so if this is your only problem just hit "ENTER" instead.

Sad that there is no tablet mode or windows tablet version.
AJ
Expert

Post by AJ »

a8907433 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:44 pm AJ, I have EPIM on my (Windows) Tablet too (desktop / portable Version), it works fine. But EPIM has no special tablet mode, it depends on screen size and resolution if you can work with it. For example, om my 10" tablet I can not click "OK" on some windows (in options) because it is outside screen.
Which Windows edition and version are you using?
This is quite important to know as there are many in use by the people.
Thanks in advance!
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

I have an Acer Switch one with Windows 10.
I use it mainly as an e-book reading device, but also for PIM things. I use it without the keyboard, only touchscreen-mode.
danmichsr5497
Novice

Can't enter the year 1900

Post by danmichsr5497 »

Other than the subject I like the program
CTSguy
Novice

Post by CTSguy »

I do like EPIM but several years ago when you switched to variable field names for some fields it has caused me a great deal of confusion and extra work. I thin It would be better to allow for arranging fields or for selecting fields on a contact template than to have the variable field names. I do not recall all the ways I have entered phone numbers over the years and I don't like needing to search through the field names to place the phone number in some consistent order on the contacts page. If you had a way to define a contacts template that might help with my issue. But, I do like essential pim.
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

CTSguy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:01 pm I do like EPIM but several years ago when you switched to variable field names for some fields it has caused me a great deal of confusion and extra work. I thin It would be better to allow for arranging fields or for selecting fields on a contact template than to have the variable field names. I do not recall all the ways I have entered phone numbers over the years and I don't like needing to search through the field names to place the phone number in some consistent order on the contacts page. If you had a way to define a contacts template that might help with my issue. But, I do like essential pim.
Exactly same thing.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
jonesco

Post by jonesco »

There is so much I like about the product. The one thing I dont like...the leaves and pages are shown at the bottom of the screen. I would really love to see them towards the top.
-Tony
The NGFN
henacynflin
Experienced

Post by henacynflin »

jonesco wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:21 pm There is so much I like about the product. The one thing I dont like...the leaves and pages are shown at the bottom of the screen. I would really love to see them towards the top.
I'd agree with this. This is more how tabs conventionally work and the leaf names are a bit like titles and should be on the top.
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

@admin
If we are at this subject, I would say that the best would be to give users an almost complete freedom to rearrange the space, like in Gimp exactly.
Almost each part of the desktop can be moved and attached horiz., vertic., on all four sides.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agree, will see what we can do with this.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
rdbkzn

Post by rdbkzn »

Does not sync skype contacts. Skype from android or from PC. Only empty lines with "name"
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

rdbkzn wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:29 am Does not sync skype contacts. Skype from android or from PC. Only empty lines with "name"
Could you please elaborate? EPIM does not directly sync with Skype, therefore it not clear how you sync Skype's contacts.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
grafton
Novice

Sync issues

Post by grafton »

I really want to like EPIM and have tried multiple times to use it over the years as it's the closest thing to old ECCO Pro PIM (no longer supported). Biggest single issue is always having sync issues. Two examples:
  • Awhile back I spent countless hours battling duplicate calendar entries from multiple gmail accounts, so I just stopped using EPIM altogether.
  • A few days ago, I decided to try again with a smaller gmail account. Notes syncing hangs on exit and never finishes.
So, I will likely continue to use EPIM, but simply not attempt to connect to any of my gmail accounts for syncing; too much of a hassle and time spent debugging. That makes the program significantly less useful for me as an overall PIM to manage everything.

Rob...
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

@grafton
Yes, same with me.
Syncing with Android is something which I consider "not working by default". Then I do not have surprises.
Everyday get several window pop-ups with syncing errors (in background I believe), when manually doing this, the same.
As for today standards, this is very obsolete then, having no smooth options to sync with mobiles.

And I also confirm google multiple entries.

However, this is at least the only option to HAVE the entry on a mobile, because at least it works. If direct: PC - Android = problems.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If something's not working, just forward us the sync log files and we'll take care of the issues.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!