Epim hangs when importing ical

Here we post and discuss the iCal calendars which users create with EssentialPIM
fisioterapia
Novice

Epim hangs when importing ical

Post by fisioterapia »

First of all>

I just bought the pro version this morning. I decided to sync my bussines calendar with my gmail account as it is one of the reasons I bought the program in the first place. I tried the 2/way sync, with the option to create calendars for my categories checked. Also I checked /sync deleted appointments... whem epim was half way there I begun to see how my epim appointments started to progressively disappear. I cancelled the sync straight away, of course. I don't know why this happened but I've trying the pro version for a couple of weeks and I've always had problems when I tried to sync with gmail.

The most important problem is this> I was wise enough to export my whole epim calendar to an ical file before trying to sync with gmail but now everytime I tried to import it epim just freezes. I can see the message saying importing calendar but it just stays there and nothing happens. Also when I check task manager I see that epim is not responding....I have a phisyotherapy clinic and right now I've lost 90% of my appointments. That means I don't know how many clients I have got or at what time are they coming....IT IS A REALLY, REALLY HUGE software error and and in big trouble mright now. Since I exported my calendar from epim I shouldn't have any kind of problems importing it.

Please I urgently need a fix for this situation!!!!!!!
fisioterapia
Novice

Re: Epim hangs when importing ical

Post by fisioterapia »

Well after a few hours it seems it finally imported the ical file....nevertheless when I exported my calendar I did from a couple of years ago up until today so that´s everything I´ve could recovered. Almost very appointment I´ve got in the near future are lost.....this is so frustrating and dissapointing...I mean so far I was happy with epim and I think it is a good piece of software but....how the hell could this happened?How is it possible that you can loose your appointments just synchronising epim with google? Even If I made a mistake and there´s an option in the sync menu to move all your calendar to google and delete it from epim dtabase...shouldn´t epim warn you once before you do it????this is so insane....I honestly hope there is a remedy for this otherwise I will get rid o epim forever.....
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

please go to Tools-> Options -> Synchronizations and delete the synchronization in question.
Then, please look in EssentialPIM Trash module - all deleted events should be there (unless you changed default settings for that).
Now if you create a new synchronization, please make sure it is 2-way (and not 1-way). It should not delete any events.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
fisioterapia
Novice

Post by fisioterapia »

hello max,

first of all thank you for your help! I couldn't reply sooner as I've finished working right now. I found the trash module a while ago and I was able to recover all the appointments. I have to say I felt a little bit stupid because the solution was in front of my the whole time and I am quite experienced with many kinds of software. Anyways the important thing is that everything is back to normal now.
All this happened because I setup the synchronization as 2-way. As I said before, I consider this a really important bug because no matter what syn option you choose it shouldn't send your appointments to the trash module. If I do it one way, that is epim to google, everything works "fine": epim creates a calendar for each epim category but all the appointments are allocated in google's main calendar. It would be great if epim could send each appointment to its calendar in google (if I have a category called work, then epim creates a calendar called work in google and send every appointment in work category to google's work calendar). But as it is right now it doesn't work for me as all my appointments from all categories get mixed up together in one calendar. I think it would be a really useful feature for otherwise a great software.
Max, once again thank you so much for your help. I freaked out out today but I'm glad everything is fine now. Thanks!