Why the Hyperlink is another Brilliant Function in EPIM!!!

This forum lists success stories of EPIM users. If you find EPIM useful- welcome to post here!
hannibal_barca_1974
Guru

Why the Hyperlink is another Brilliant Function in EPIM!!!

Post by hannibal_barca_1974 »

I've always liked the hyperlink nature of wikipedia and looked into personal wiki's for this reason, HOWEVER; lately I've started to learn the benefits of the great function of hyperlinking within EPIM. I have found I can use hyperlink in Calendar Notes tab when in table format, for an entry in contacts notes tab, for an entry in passwords notes tab, For an entry in ToDo Notes tab, and naturally enough In the text page in Notes Module. Either use the button in the text tools display OR right click on page and hyperlink is the last entry on the list. There are 3 options

Internet link - For adding URL's (but I prefer to copy from browser address bar & paste to the page. Then If I want to open that link just Ctrl+mouse left click)
File Link > Browser then search for files in my computer to link to my Notes page (this is good but I tend to add the text/image directly to the notes page or add text/image or other format as an attachment to the page)
Item link > then click browse in the dialogue box - this allows me to do a search in any module by filename and link pages within any module in EPIM. (This I now use a lot and as I have begun to use it I wish I'd started using it before, and I keep thinking up new files to link together)!

Examples from emboldened text above...

1) By linking information within my notes folders I don't have to multiple enter the same Information in it's entirety to 1 or more other folders, but rather the folder(s) that contain the hyperlink can have just that link for that entry in the folder, or some covering notes that are very much an abridged version, but with the link there to click and review the full entry on that topic.

2) In Contacts Module, when opening an entry of an individual I've added hyperlinks under the notes tab, which is adequate for most information without referring to the Notes Module, BUT I like to retain copies of internet messenger chats, and these I have dated in leaves under the individuals name in Notes, so I have created hyperlinks to these.

3) People I know at work but also socially I have created hyperlinks in the notes tab for these individuals to the activities within Notes that I share with them, work & leisure.

4) When I am researching a topic online I like to maintain a step by step pathway of that enquiry in my EPIM Notes Module. With hyperlinking I can now open multiple note windows eg
Pathway is - History/Ancient civilisations/Roman Empire/Road building
History which has various hyperlinks for different civilisations, one of which is Ancient civilisations >
Ancient civilisation which has various hyperlinks for different empires, nations tribes etc, one of which is Roman Empire >
Roman Empire which has various hyperlinks for different aspects of that topic, one of which is Road building
I now have a serviceable chain of enquiry.
FURTHER, I can go back along the chain by closing the last window for instance and on the Roman empire page instead choose The Roman Legion, or go back further still up the chain to Ancient civilisations and choose Ancient Greece etc etc etc..... It's up to the EPIM user and how their individual mind works that determines the specific nuances of use that they choose (and even if you don't like history :wink: I hope you can see this example illustrates the point I am aiming to get across?

Many thanks for reading, Paul. :D
hannibal_barca_1974
Guru

Re: Why the Hyperlink is another Brilliant Function in EPIM!

A request to Max & the team, to add to this feature.....

The latest in the chain of note windows is 'live' and can not just be read but typed in too, BUT all earlier windows in the hyperlink chain, whilst I can read them I cannot write in them, and as I am by nature a plate spinning person and commonly have many tabs and or windows open on a browser to navigate between them AND type in each, it would be a perfectly wonderful addition to EPIM if I could work in all of the note windows in the hyperlink chain simultaneously, many thanks. :)
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hi!

thank you for sharing this! I am sure other users will appreciate this.

As for your suggestion- it is noted now, but unfortunately, it is not so easy to implement, so it will take time.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
hannibal_barca_1974
Guru

Hi Max, I can understand implementation will take time, and you have many items on your ToDo list, and besides that you are very busy getting version 4.5 ready for EPIM users. I for one am looking forward to this update! :D
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Certainly, hyperlinking is a great function, kind of a relations or whatsoever.
Saves the size of the db file.

The feature works fine and helps a lot.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
lefflerster
Novice

Post by lefflerster »

Hannibal,

I'm a new user of EPIM and would love to use hyperlinks, but I can't seem to get them to work for links within EPIM. You mention (if I understand you correctly) linking a contact with an entry in the Notes.

How exactly did you do this? Can you click on a hyperlink when looking at an individual contact and have associated Notes from the Notes module appear or associated appointments appear?

When I select the Item link radio-button, I have a choice of "Text to appear" or "Filename". Both of these don't seem to be allowing to link an entry in another part of my EPIM database to the specific contact I have open.

Can you help?

Thanks in advance.
Mark
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

Hello Mark,
How exactly did you do this? Can you click on a hyperlink when looking at an individual contact and have associated Notes from the Notes module appear or associated appointments appear?
IF set manually then yes, you can open a contact, go to the notes section of the contact and click on the set hyperlink to open associated appointments or notes or any module of EPIM you want to link to.
When I select the Item link radio-button, I have a choice of "Text to appear" or "Filename". Both of these don't seem to be allowing to link an entry in another part of my EPIM database to the specific contact I have open.
What version of EPIM do you use; Free or Pro ?
In the Free version you can not link items within EPIM. If you have the free version you should see all three selection options and that the first option is grayed out. This first one is the option that allows you to link items from within EPIM to other items within EPIM.
hyper01.jpg
hyper01.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 13983 times
If you have the PRO version all three options should be available and you can use the first option [item link] to link certain items from within EPIM to another.
hyper02.jpg
hyper02.jpg (85.62 KiB) Viewed 13983 times
After selecting the hyperlink function, select the first option (if not preselected) and than choose for <browse> to find the item that you want to link to. After confirming it (if still needed) type some explaining text in the text line and confirm the hyperlink.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17
lefflerster
Novice

Post by lefflerster »

Peter,
Thank you very much for the detailed instructions AND screenshots. Unfortunately, when I select Item link and click on Browse, I don't get the window that you display showing calendar items.

Instead, I get the standard Windows File open window. I tried to attach a Word doc showing the images, but it didn't take. Also clicking on IMG above just inserts those words into the body of this reply. How do you attach images the way that you did?

I think the problem is that the Hyperlink dialog window shows "File Name" instead of "Item link:". I am using PRO 5.0 on a Windows XP with SP3 machine.

Have you heard of this before and is there a way to correct it?

Thank you.
Mark
lefflerster
Novice

Post by lefflerster »

Peter,
I figured it out! When you open the Hyperlink window, the Item Link radio button is first and selected, but at the bottom for the window File Name displays. Even if you click on the Item Link to reselect it, File Name shows at the bottom of the window.

However, if you click on Internet Link OR File Link and THEN click on Item Link, the display changes and shows Item Link. Clicking on Browse now displays items from the current EPIM database, as shown in your screenshot.

So thank you again for pointing the way with your illustration.

I still have the question: how can someone include images in these Forum messages.
Clicking on the Img button above displays:

How do I connect or insert an actual image from the clipboard or a jpg file?

I also couldn't attach a file. Uploading seemed to do nothing. How come?

Thanks in advance.
Mark
PeCe
Guru

Post by PeCe »

lefflerster wrote:I still have the question: how can someone include images in these Forum messages.
Clicking on the Img button above displays:

How do I connect or insert an actual image from the clipboard or a jpg file?

I also couldn't attach a file. Uploading seemed to do nothing. How come?
Hi Mark,
The IMG buttons on top of the message section is there to link to external images, so if you would upload an image to a hosting provider, like imageshack, photobucket etc., then you get a link where your picture is placed and than you need these IMG and /IMG codes to put an image in your message.

No, it is not possible to add pictures from your (computers) clipboard.
Yes you have to create a file, jpg or bmp. If you make a printscreen and save it as a JPG file, then you should be able to upload/attach it to your message.
This can be done with the [add attachment] option you see below the message you type, even below the <confirm> buttons.
Default it shows options, but right from it you see the [add attachment] tab.
click on it, use [browse...] to locate the file and press [add file] to confirm the attachment.
That should be it.

I hope this helps you to be able to attach files/printscreens.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM 11.8.4 Pro portable / Android EPIM 6.0.17