Problems with anchors

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Tester
Expert

Problems with anchors

Post by Tester »

I have various problems with anchors. For better understanding I would like to describe the situation step by step:

1. Let's assume I would like to create an anchor for the line with the text "3) Sonstiges" in the following picture:

A1.jpg

So I select e.g. the "3)" (or alternatively it seems to be enough to click on the line).

2. I click on the anchor button in the toolbar:

A2.jpg
A2.jpg (12.56 KiB) Viewed 1189 times

3. In the opening window ("Anchors") I add my preferred name for the anchor, for example "Anchor 3":

A3.jpg

4. Now I want to link to this anchor. In most of the cases I do this in a table with the contents on top of the note (quite similar as it can be seen e.g. in articles in Wikipedia):

So I select e.g. the number "3)" in the table, then I click on the Hyperlink button in the toolbar and the window "Insert Hyperlink" opens:

A4.jpg

In this window I click on "Browse".

5. A new window opens where I choose the anchor to which I want to link (in my case "Anchor 3" in the note "ABHOLEN"):

A5.jpg

I think I did all in the correct way so far.

And now I see two problems:

Problem 1: The hyperlink is not created in the selected text - in my example: "3)" - but appears left of it (with the formerly selected text appearing a second time):

A6.jpg

Obviously this is a bug and I think it was already reported by some user in the past but at the moment I cannot find the thread again. So I would just like to get the confirmation that the bug is known and will be fixed.

Problem 2: Jumping to the anchor does not work correctly.

EPIM has to methods to open a link - and I assume these methods apply too when it is not a link to another item but to an anchor:
a) "Ctrl + left mouse click" opens the link in a separate window. --> This method works.
b) "Alt + left mouse click" opens the link in the same window. (That means in case of an anchor: I can jump within the note directly to the line where the anchor is set.) --> This method does not work. With "Alt + left mouse click" nothing happens.
MetalDrop
Guru

Re: Problems with anchors

Post by MetalDrop »

The duplicate link text issue was already fixed in a "hidden" update. Which means you are using the more broken 9.7.5.

You should download a new copy of 9.7.5 manually, as the auto-update system doesn't seem to catch the hidden version number-less updates.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

Tester wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:45 pm Obviously this is a bug and I think it was already reported by some user in the past but at the moment I cannot find the thread again.
In the meantime I found it: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35744

But anway MetalDrop posted the solution:
MetalDrop wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:50 pm The duplicate link text issue was already fixed in a "hidden" update. [...]

You should download a new copy of 9.7.5 manually, [...]
It works now.* Thank you!

*[Edit: Not really. See my next post.]

[PS: Just that it is not overlooked: the other issue mentioned above still exists.]
Last edited by Tester on Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

Tester wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:10 pm
It works now.
Edit:
No, not completely!

It depends on how you create the anchor link:

A) It works when the anchor link is created via clicking on "Browse" in the window "Insert Hyperlink" and than navigating in the list to the anchor name (as shown in my first post in the picture under Nr. 5).

B) The bug still exists when choosing "Copy Anchor As Link" from the context menu of the anchor and then pasting this link into the field "Item link" * (again in the window "Insert Hyperlink"). (Maybe one time it works. But the next three times or so it does not.)
*[which should better be named "Item / Anchor link"]

A9.jpg

And by the way: The (very important) "Undo" command often does not work too. (E.g. now when I try to remove these undesired additional entries caused by the anchor link creation.) I click the "Undo" button and absolutely nothing happens. But I am not in the mood now to open the next thread for this issue.

A critical remark: I see these bugs even as a newcomer in using the program, but the developers did not discover them before releasing it? Don't you test the basic functions before a release? It is so complicated and time-consuming to describe all these issues.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Point B is also fixed in the internal builds. Thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

Tester wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:45 pm
EPIM has to methods to open a link - and I assume these methods apply too when it is not a link to another item but to an anchor:
a) "Ctrl + left mouse click" opens the link in a separate window. --> This method works.
b) "Alt + left mouse click" opens the link in the same window. (That means in case of an anchor: I can jump within the note directly to the line where the anchor is set.) --> This method does not work. With "Alt + left mouse click" nothing happens.
This issue (= b) continues to exist (or it is here again - I don't know) in case that anchor and hyperlink are in the same note.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You mean in the same note and in the same leaf or in the same note but in different leaves?
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

I mean in the same note and in the same leaf. (I can't tell about the situation with different leaves because until now I only have notes with one leaf.)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see now, thanks. Will improve this.