Epim crash when going to mail module

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

doctor
Novice

Epim crash when going to mail module

Post by doctor »

hello there, this mornig Epim started to crash every time I try to open the mail module. All the other modules works fine, but this is not true for the email. Yesterday night everything was ok, then Windows have an auto update, and this morning the mail module makes epim crash. You can see the error that Epim shows me.
Hope we can fix this soon because I need mails for my daily job.
Thanks in advance, Stefano
Attachments
error from mail module.jpg
error from mail module.jpg (11.13 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
www.doc3d.it/
admin
Site Admin

Re: Epim crash when going to mail module

Post by admin »

Stefano, please mention your Windows version. Also, will you be able to copy your database over to a new one, open it, delete all data from all the modules except from mail, then optimize, exit, zip and forward to us? Thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
doctor
Novice

Post by doctor »

thanks for your answer, I have Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
I'll try to follow your suggestion and send the db with emails only, but now my db is about 400 mb, so i need some time ....
www.doc3d.it/
unconventional
Novice

Post by unconventional »

I have the same problem, and I worked all night to figure out why.

This problem is caused by a Microsoft fix, "MS14-065: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer (KB3003057)", which was released on Tuesday 11 November and which will be installed automatically by anyone who has Windows Update set to automatic updates.

KB3003057 fixes 14 vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer version 6 through 11 on Windows versions from Vista to 8.1 and Windows RT. It will affect almost every Windows user.

Using a different browser will not prevent this problem. Apparently EPIM invokes Internet Explorer for some reason when it displays the Mail pane. The Microsoft fix has broken how this works. Your email is undamaged, but you are not able to view current or new emails. EPIM is going to need an update to fix this problem.

You can work around this problem by uninstalling KB3003057, but doing so is dangerous. Microsoft calls this a critical update because there are a lot of vulnerabilities that have now been made public and some are sure to be exploited in the near future. One exploit was already known in mid-October.

A safer but less convenient workaround is to stop using EPIM as your mail client temporarily. You can probably read your mail in a web interface through your mail provider, or you can use another client such as Outlook. Unfortunately, most of us will have EPIM set up to download our mail automatically, and once EPIM grabs it (the receive function continues to work fine) another client may not be able to retrieve it. And since we can't get to the Mail module we can't turn that off.

Here's how I worked around the problem:
[edit]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
To temporarily switch to using another email client:
1. Uninstall KB3003057 using the Control Panel (Programs and features/Uninstall a program, then click View installed updates, find the fix, right click and select Uninstall). You will have to restart the system to complete the uninstall.
2. Open EPIM, go to Mail, select Tools>Account settings. Edit each email account and uncheck "Include this account when receiving mail".
3. Export ([edit]: or print) any email you're going to need access to in the near future.
4. Close EPIM.
5. Run Windows Update and reinstall KB3003057.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
If you prefer to keep EPIM and delay the installation of KB3003057:
(These instructions are based on Windows 7. The steps are similar for other versions of Windows.)
1. If KB3003057 is already installed, uninstall it as in step 1 above.
2. Start Windows Update. If it doesn't already tell you there are important updates to install, click Check for updates.
3. When prompted to Install updates for your computer, click the link that says "(number) important updates are available".
4. In the list of updates to install, right-click on "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer <version> for Windows <version> (KB3003057)" and choose Hide update. Click OK.
5. If there are other updates available, you may want to install them at this time.

I suggest you create an Appointment or Todo to remind you to install KB3003057 later, once EPIM is fixed. To restore the hidden update:
1. In Windows Update, click Restore hidden updates.
2. In the list of updates, find KB3003057 and check the check box next to it.
3. Click the Restore button. Windows Update will then do a check for updates and offer to install it immediately.

Remember, this is a critical update that fixes many security vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer. Even if you don't use Internet Explorer to browse, it is used "in the background" by a lot of programs, so updates to it should be applied as soon as possible to protect you from malware.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[end edit]

I only hope they can come up with a fix for this before long. Not having EPIM as my mail client is really going to be annoying.
Last edited by unconventional on Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rick
-------------------------------------------------------
EPIM Pro 6.52 (Desktop) on Windows 7 Professional SP1 (32-bit) and Windows 8.1 (64-bit) on Surface 3
Lifetime license
doctor
Novice

Post by doctor »

thanks for your reply unconventional.
Now I'd like to know by Epim coders if the problem is in this windows update (as you says and as I think too because before the update everything was ok with epim) and I should follow your instruction or if is an epim problem and I should follow their instructions, or maybe all do both. Anyway if you're right, a fix version should be really important in a near period....hopefully very near :)
www.doc3d.it/
unconventional
Novice

Post by unconventional »

Additional information for the developer:

I used Sysinternals Process Monitor to record a trace through the problem. I wasn't able to narrow it down very far, but I could clearly see EPIM invoking IEFRAME.DLL. If EPIM uses Windows Presentation Foundation, I think that would explain it. Maybe you're requesting a handle to a window that IE will no longer provide you, because that was a security vulnerability. That's just a guess, though.
Rick
-------------------------------------------------------
EPIM Pro 6.52 (Desktop) on Windows 7 Professional SP1 (32-bit) and Windows 8.1 (64-bit) on Surface 3
Lifetime license
doctor
Novice

Post by doctor »

ehy unconventional, you're a lightning fast bug finder epim user!
www.doc3d.it/
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

unconventional, thanks very much for sharing the information with us.
We're currently working on a fix, will try to release the updated EPIM version either later today or tomorrow the latest.
Sorry guys for possible inconviniences.
doctor
Novice

Post by doctor »

hey admin, this is support if you can fix it today! congrats to you and unconventional!
www.doc3d.it/
ptarchi

Post by ptarchi »

Hello everybody!
Me too have the same problem when I start the e-mail module after the last update microsoft :(((((
I have Windows 7 HP 64bit and this is the error message:
Firma problema:
Nome evento problema: BEX
Nome applicazione: EssentialPIM.exe
Versione applicazione: 6.0.0.0
Timestamp applicazione: 543d2706
Nome modulo con errori: StackHash_e98d
Versione modulo con errori: 0.0.0.0
Timestamp modulo con errori: 00000000
Offset eccezione: 0000010e
Codice eccezione: c0000005
Dati eccezione: 00000008
Versione SO: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
ID impostazioni locali: 1040
Informazioni aggiuntive 1: e98d
Ulteriori informazioni 2: e98dfca8bcf81bc1740adb135579ad53
Ulteriori informazioni 3: 6eab
Ulteriori informazioni 4: 6eabdd9e0dc94904be3b39a1c0583635

Thank you and go epim!!!!!
BDTS
Novice

Post by BDTS »

Same prob here, running windows 8.1, after update this morning, epim shuts down after going to mail module.
seth

Post by seth »

the same...
thanks unconventional you saved me!
in the meanwhile one could deactivate windows automatic updates until we got a solution
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-8
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, the problem is finally fixed. Thank you all for your patience! The new EssentialPIM 6.01 version is available from the Get EPIM page. Please download, try it out and let us know how it works for you now.Thanks again!
Gilles
Novice

Post by Gilles »

It is OK !!!! thank !!!!!! :D :D :D
mattz
Guru

Post by mattz »

Works for me...
send & receive... gmail & outlook (hotmail)...

thank you for the quick fix...
good job :-)

HTH,
Matt Z.