Access Violation

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

KmxSoft
Guru

Access Violation

Post by KmxSoft »

When I start EPIM Pro I am presented with the popup below. I can clear the popup and am then able to manually send/receive email without a problem. I have installed the latest 7.6 release.
EPIM.jpg
This is a permanent error.
Max
Site Admin

Re: Access Violation

Post by Max »

Hello,

we could try fixing the issue if you send us the database so that we are able to reproduce the error. Please send it to epimsupport@essentialpim... if possible.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
KmxSoft
Guru

Post by KmxSoft »

Adding a 100Mb database as an attachment often breaks mail servers involved in passing email traffic. Also, I am more than a little concerned that I would be releasing logon information to my email account - which could very easily be used by the unscrupulous to carry out fraud. With that sign-on information someone could change my email address and then hack into my online bank accounts and credit cards, and I doubt the companies concerned would protect me against loss if they were aware that I had distributed logon information.

I don't think it is a good idea to request users to share their database.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

As regards sending large files over email- there is always a possibility to upload it to e.g. DropBox and share a link.
I understand your concern and decision not to share the database. Since we do not have other users having the same issue, it seems to be related to your particular database, and thus so far we have no methods to reproduce the problem.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
KmxSoft
Guru

Post by KmxSoft »

Understood. It is perhaps disappointing that the error logging doesn't offer more information - I checked the log file.
Texter
Guru

Post by Texter »

Hi,
first of all:
make a backup.

second:
try fixing the DB with the Archiver / Dupe Remover offered at
https://www.essentialpim.com/de/get-epim
also try to import your DB into a new Database.

I also had a problem with one single item. After finding this item and deleting it, epim runs perfectly again
Epim-User since 12/2007 - changed to pro later - never change a running system - now Epim Lifetime.
Running latest* Epim Pro Portable on a Lenovo T14p with Win 10 64bit.
*including RC`s
spoken languages: German / English
KmxSoft
Guru

Post by KmxSoft »

Problem resolved.

I deleted the email account within EPIM and then recreated it. EPIM no longer complains when it first starts up.
Padua
Novice

Post by Padua »

Access violation issues with 7.61 free portable edition on Win10.
Tried the DB Archiver + Dedup. No change.
Access violation at startup and during sync.

Had to revert to 7.54 - which was working fine and continues to work fine.

Thanks for your attention to this.
KmxSoft
Guru

Post by KmxSoft »

I confirm this problem has not been fixed with the latest release, which I downloaded and installed this morning.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

KmxSoft, can not comment in details since we do not see your database. You might want to do the same trick- re-creating mail account on a new version.
Padua, we need to know much more, at least an error log and screenshot at which moment it happens- please create a new topic and post it there, as the problem may be unrelated to this topic.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
KmxSoft
Guru

Post by KmxSoft »

Fixed by creating a new database.

Rather than requesting access to a users database which could potentially expose confidential data (such as email logon passwords), wouldn't it be better to log details of failures?
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

We log as much as we can, but in some cases even extensive logging is not sufficient.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
KmxSoft
Guru

Post by KmxSoft »

I haven't checked however I don't recall seeing an option to view (or access) log files. Often times software installtion routines allow the user to define the location and optionally name template of log files - in a business climate that could conceivably be a central support location rather than buried away in each installation, and each installation could have its own log file..
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

KmxSoft wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:09 am I haven't checked however I don't recall seeing an option to view (or access) log files. Often times software installtion routines allow the user to define the location and optionally name template of log files - in a business climate that could conceivably be a central support location rather than buried away in each installation, and each installation could have its own log file..
Check Tools-> Options-> Synchronization
Maxim,
EPIM Team
CraigS26
Guru

Post by CraigS26 »

KmxSoft wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:21 pm Problem resolved.

I deleted the email account within EPIM and then recreated it. EPIM no longer complains when it first starts up.
My SAME style ACCESS--Address VIOLATION occurred Only when Sending from my AT&T IMAP Account; I had NO Issue Sending with the Hotmail POP3 Account.
Thnx to KmxSoft, I Re-named my current Imap Folder, made a New One and Successfully Sent an Embedded JPG to my Hotmail account.

The BIZARRE part is that WHEN the new IMAP Account Sent, (3) Stuck Emails in the Original IMAP Folder finally were Sent, also.
Thankfully, too, Folders w/ emails saved in the original AT&T IMAP acct were Copied by Epim into the New Folder (same settings but different names by 1-character). IT is a PAIN to have to Re-Create the same Folder name in a New Acct so you can Copy-Paste Saved emails into it.
Old IMAP Folder Deleted.
EPIM PRO LIFE 11.8.4 - Win 10 Pro - 22H2 --- ESET EIS Prem - Mbam Prem - Diskeeper Pro '15 - Macrium Pd v8