cannot write key information

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

cosw
Novice

cannot write key information

Post by cosw »

Hello,

I have problems with starting Essential Pim Pro on Windows 10. After the installation it asks for entering the key and says: Cannot write key information. Deleting the essentialPim.ini doesn't change anything and gives the change error.
With epim portable I can enter the key after deleting the ini file and epim works. But the next time it asks again for the key. Then I abort all, delete the ini file, starting again, entering the key information and select the database file. It's very annoying to work with epim in this way.

Has anyone an idea to work in normal way?

Christian
Max
Site Admin

Re: cannot write key information

Post by Max »

Hello,

please send me the license name and key via Private message on the forum- I will check. Please also tell EPIM version number.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
cosw
Novice

Post by cosw »

The problem was not happened for a while. But after the update to 8.14 the same as before. I must delete every start of the program delete the EssentialPIM.ini file and enter the license information.
This happens also with the installed (non portable) version.

Christian
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

I suppose you are using Portable version. Seems like you are not updating it correctly. On your existing installation, there is a file, EssentialPIM.ini- it contains the key. When updating, make sure this file (with key inside) is also in updated version's folder.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
cosw
Novice

Post by cosw »

That's right I use the portable version. But I have created a complete new folder with the content of the zip-archive. After the first time I can enter the data and the the EssentialPIM.ini contains the correct license informations. But with the second start the program ask for the license key again. And it don't accept the key. I need to delete the EssentialPIM.ini, start again, enter the license infos again, choose the database again - very annoying :(

This happens everytime. I have tried first the installation of the programm and the same happens and it don't accept the key everytime and don't work. It says always "cannot write key information". So only the portable version is usable.

Thanks
Christian
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

That sounds like EPIM can not write the license information into the file (that's why it re-asks it on restart).
Please use another directory for EPIM Portable installation, e.g. Documents or Desktop - where user has permissions to write.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
cosw
Novice

Post by cosw »

I have copied the folder to the desktop and nothing changed of the behaviour. The permissions of the files are normal only all folders are signed as partly write protected

Christian
Attachments
screenshot.PNG
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Hello Chrisitan!
You answered your question yourself! How should EPIM write the .ini-file, if it is write protected?
Remove the checkmnark at "Schreibgeschüztzt"- thats all!
cosw
Novice

Post by cosw »

Sorry but this is not working, everytime I remove the checkmark it appears again next time.

Christian
cosw
Novice

Post by cosw »

and the files in the folders are all not write protected, also the ini-files
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Do you have another partition than C:\ ? Try to install it for example on D:\
If this is working, its just Windows write-rights on C:\ that is preventing you installing EPIM the correct way.
cosw
Novice

Post by cosw »

I have tested it on other volumes and it's the same. I have also checked a new folder and checked other folder - all folder are shown this attribute. I try to investigate was there happened. But I haven't any problems with writing, copying, moving around. Only EssentialPIM show this problem.
And the first time EssentialPIM can write the file, but cannot read it after restart?
cosw
Novice

Post by cosw »

And the key is correct written in the ini-file, after restart the app don't accept it. It says the license period is over. Entering the key again brings the error "cannot write ...". But deleting the ini-file and start from scratch works and it accepts the license.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

EPIM check the license- confirms that's fine and then tries to write it, but unsuccessfully. That's why it is accepted, but remembered only until restart. There is definitely something peculiar to your system set up.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
cosw
Novice

Post by cosw »

that sad, I cannot find anything.