An ugly German translation bug

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

lk
Guru

An ugly German translation bug

Post by lk »

Hi again,

the German translation of EPIM still has some quirks and inconsistencies, and if I will ever find some time, I'll send you some (commented) suggestions for improvements.

However, one translation is very ugly: The second tab in the "Advanced Search" window is called in English "Advanced" while the German translation shows "Erweiterte Termineigenschaften" (which means "Advanced appointment properties"). See this screenshot:
Erweiterte Suche.png
Erweiterte Suche.png (11.21 KiB) Viewed 1675 times
Simply replace it with "Erweitert" and you'll be fine. It's string #880 in the language file. (Maybe you can put this fix already into the forthcoming version 9.0? Currently it looks really bizarre.)

(EPIM Pro 8.66.1 Lifetime on Windows 8.1 64 bit)

lk
admin
Site Admin

Re: An ugly German translation bug

Post by admin »

Thanks for the info! Have already changed the string as suggested. The updated version will be included in the 9.0 RC2 version.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Texter
Guru

Post by Texter »

Hallo,
danke für deine Kritik.
Leider weiß ich nicht ob dies durch mich übersetzt wurde, oder bereits früher.
Ich habe mir auf jeden Fall eine Notiz gemacht.
Epim-User since 12/2007 - changed to pro later - never change a running system - now Epim Lifetime.
Running latest* Epim Pro Portable on a Lenovo T14p with Win 10 64bit.
*including RC`s
spoken languages: German / English
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

Hi there,

are you the "official" translator for German? Shall we work together (i.e. I will send you my suggestions for improvements)? Every now and then during my daily work with EPIM I find some German strings that could be improved (but I have never looked through the huge language file on a systematic basis though).

From now on I will collect everything noteworthy (just for myself and my own installation of EPIM), and if you are interested, I can send this list to you regularly. Just let me know.

lk
Last edited by lk on Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texter
Guru

Post by Texter »

Hallo,
nein, ich bin nicht offiziell dazu berufen.
Ich mache das in meiner Freizeit, just for fun.

Die Herausforderung mit der ich zu kämpfen habe ist, dass ich nicht bei jedem String weiß an welcher Stelle er verwendet wird.
Manchmal wird ein String auch an mehreren Stellen verewendet, sodass er vom Kontext nicht treffend für beide ist.
Manchmal wird der String bei der Übersetzung dermaßen lang, sodass das Feld nicht mehr ausreichend ist.

An Verbesserungen bin ich natürlich stets interessiert :)
Epim-User since 12/2007 - changed to pro later - never change a running system - now Epim Lifetime.
Running latest* Epim Pro Portable on a Lenovo T14p with Win 10 64bit.
*including RC`s
spoken languages: German / English
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Texter, is there's any questions or you find something that needs to be adjusted in EPIM in order for the translation to look better, please let us know, will be happy to assist.
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

Finally I found this thread again. I partly reworked the German language file (based on the v9.9 version), corrected many typos and grammatical errors ("Sie" vs. "sie", superfluous spaces, ...) and occasionally found some better wording. There is still a lot to do though and I won't be able to do this on my own as I only use some parts of EPIM (no E-Mail, no passwords, no synchronisation with any Google, Cloud, Apple stuff).

I've been very careful and have changed only obvious mistakes if I wasn't able to fully understand the context for the aforementioned reasons. Furthermore, translating from English to German is often tricky because German phrases tend to be longer than English ones, sometimes getting cut at their ends because the corresponding UI fields are too short for them.

Let me know if you want my improved file (and which way you want it).

lk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure, would appreciate if you forwarded us the updated language file. You can mail it us at epimsupport@essentialpim[com] or simply attach it to your next post here in the forum. Thanks!
lk
Guru

Post by lk »

Please give me some more days to use EPIM with my modified language file - I'm pretty sure I'll find a few more strings to improve during my work. I'll attach my file here, so some other native German speakers can pick it up and improve it further.

lk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure thing, please take your time. Although note, there's a special topic for that: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9942. You might want to post it there, as well.