Dropbox Sync Error

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: Max, TerryRogers

admin
Site Admin

Re: Dropbox Sync Error

Post by admin »

"EssentialPIM Databases" is the app specific folder, you shouldn't delete or rename it. Please read the IMPORTANTABOUTTHISFOLDER.txt file inside the folder.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!

pmj
Novice

Post by pmj »

I understand that - if Dropbox Sync were working properly.
But it isn't - so if I stop the sync from within EPIM, I'd expect that the process of starting a new sync would, if there were no sync, create that folder?
Just tried again - authorization confirmed, file name & location "EssentialPIM Databases" confirmed, but same result.
Peter

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That should be the case and we'll check out the issue with the folder.
So it works with the newly created database and not with the old one?

pmj
Novice

Post by pmj »

It did work with the newly-created file, but it didn't work after I transferred the data from the old file.

I just tried again, with a new empty database. It successfully synced to Dropbox.
Then used EPIMSync to transfer the data from the old file to the new one - this took about 20 minutes, which was faster than the previous time, where it hung on messages for ages.
Syncing to Dropbox was successful with the updated file :-). Took 19 minutes for a compressed file of 546 MB.
Peter

pmj
Novice

Post by pmj »

Hmm - maybe NOT ....
For the purpose of the above test, I allowed EPIM to select its default location for the database and the backup (C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\EssentialPIM Pro).
But I don't like those locations - I prefer use my C: drive for programs and accessory files needed to run the programs, and a different drive for data.
So, as advised previously, I disabled Dropbox sync so I could "SaveAs" somewhere else.
I saved the file at my preferred location. I also changed the backup drive (Tools - Options - Backup), and made a backup. I didn't modify the file in any way, and it was the same size.
I closed EPIM, checked all the files were properly located, reopened EPIM, created a Dropbox sync - and this time it didn't work.
I cancelled the Dropbox sync again, re-saved the file back at the default location, but didn't change the backup drive.
I closed EPIM, checked all the files were properly located, reopened EPIM, created a Dropbox sync. This time it worked.

Is this correct - can I not select a preferred save location in partnership with a Dropbox sync?

Following added before I posted the above.

But it only synced once. I've tried several tests.
I've created new files in the default location. I've created new files in my preferred location. I've created new Dropbox syncs for each new file. Mostly they have synced properly.
I've used EPIMSync to sync the existing file into the new file. Sometimes that takes over an hour - the 20 minutes previously noted was an exception. I've then re-run an already-proven Dropbox sync, and it's failed every time except the one described above. Irrespective of whether the file was in the default location, or my preferred location.
For clarity, I haven't moved any files. I've always re-saved them.
Peter

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Location of the database files shouldn't influence the synchronization process. And the error message that you get when you're unable to sync asks you to check your internet connection as in the screenshot you attached earlier?

pmj
Novice

Post by pmj »

Thank you.
Yes - the same message. After about 20 seconds.
And although the previous pop-up says that the transfer is underway, it didn't actually start because the counter showing "###MB transferred" didn't display.
Peter

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, please forward me the log file via PM (click on Tools->Options->Synchronization, Browse... and the filename should start with "Dropbox") Thanks!