How to remove non-existent databases in the File menu

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: Max, TerryRogers

marcr930

How to remove non-existent databases in the File menu

Post by marcr930 »

Any database you create and save is subsequently listed in the File menu, right beneath the Print command.

If a database was deleted, and no longer exists, a link to the non-existent database is still listed in the File menu. If there is a way to delete these obsolete links I've been unable to find it. How does one get rid of them?
PeCe
Guru

Re: How to remove non-existent databases in the File menu

Post by PeCe »

There is an option (tools - options - security - clear the database load history on exit), but then all entries are deleted. I do not know if that is what you want. EPIM still remembers and starts with the last used database, but all other entries are gone when you close EPIM.

The other option is a little more difficult. In the EPIM.ini file you can find the list with opened databases. Than you can remove a single or more entries manually. That can be done with a notepad/text editor.

I use the first option, that way I always have a clean list.
Peter Tak
The Netherlands
Moderator and Dutch translator for EPIM
EPIM Pro portable 9.9.6 / Android EPIM 5.8.1
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

I always considered it a minor inconvenience of EPIM that I have to edit EPIM.ini to get rid of deleted databases in the Recent files list.
Another program I use gives me this:
File test.db not found.
Do you want to remove the reference to it from the Recent list?
                                                                        [YES]   [NO]
I have a suggestion. How about extending the current EPIM error message to include 'cleaning up' the Recent files list?
Something like this:
Could not find database.
If you have moved database, click Cancel and use File -> Open menu to open database from new location.
If you haven't moved your database, click Ok and EssentialPIM will try to open it again.
If you'd like to remove the reference to the database from the Recent files list, click on Remove.
 [REMOVE]                                                                                                      [OK]  [CANCEL]

Regards
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the suggestion, will probably implement it in the next version already.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
marcr930

Post by marcr930 »

The solutions mentioned worked for me. Thanks PeCe! I like the idea for a fix submitted by poster Keldi and hope it gets implemented in the next revision.