Unable to access accelerator key to load search query

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

StewCam

Unable to access accelerator key to load search query

Post by StewCam »

In the Advanced Search dialog, accelerator keys are shown for Find now, New search, Save query and Load query. The Find now option works with the Alt key modifier. That is, search is triggered by Alt-F. However, the other options do not seem to work with the same modifier (or with others that I tried).
Keldi
Guru

Re: Unable to access accelerator key to load search query

Post by Keldi »

I've just tried it in EPIM Portable Pro 9.6.1 (Win10).
Alt+U worked for me to load the search query (and all the rest worked too: Alt+F (Find now), Alt+O (Stop), Alt+N (New search), Alt+Q (Save query).

By any chance, do you have a keyboard layout with U not at the usual place (not the QWERTYU)? or Alt+U assigned somewhere as shortcut for something else?

Regards
StewCam

Post by StewCam »

When I started this topic I was using EPIM Pro Portable 9.6. After reading the last post, I updated to v9.6.1 and the accelerator keys are now working for Find now, Save query and Load query. I note the accelerator key for Save query has changed from Alt-L in v9.6 to Alt-U in v9.6.1. The accelerator key for New search is still not working (no response to Alt-N). My keyboard layout is standard and Alt-N is not assigned elsewhere (checked with HotKeysList).
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

Glad to hear that part of the issue went away for you.

As I told before, Alt+N works for me, but here is something you can try to narrow down what might be wrong there:

1. Try to install the portable version somewhere in a separate folder (it won't affect your main installation) and check whether Alt+N works there.

2. If portable version doesn't have the issue, the problem was within EPIM settings.
Locate the file EPIM.ini (for the installed version it's somewhere in the User profile folder on C:\. Sorry, don't remember the exact path, I've been using only portable version for years).
Close EPIM and create a backup copy of that file (it stores all EPIM settings).
Open EPIM, go to Tools > Options > Shortcuts and click Set All to None button, Apply. Check if it solved the issue with Alt+N, if so the problem was with one of the EPIM shortcuts. Close EPIM, return your EPIM.ini from backup and take a closer look at your shortcuts.

3. If the installed-from-scratch portable version still has the problem with Alt+N, try to change the access key in it:
Open in Notepad the file
EPIM Portable folder/Languages/English.lng
and replace
8505=&New search
with
8505=New sea&rch
Re-launch the portable version and try Alt+R for the New Search. If it's working, than the problem is with Alt+N, something is using it.

Regards
StewCam

Post by StewCam »

Thanks very much for the detailed answer. I should have clarified that I use the portable version of EPIM Pro. I realise now that Alt-N is also working. I had a query loaded and expected that Alt-N would reset to the default query. However, this only happens if the query has something saved in the Search for field.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can confirm the issue with the Alt+N shortcut, will address it in the next update.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!