Moving Notes within the Notes tree

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

tahoma
Guru

Moving Notes within the Notes tree

Post by tahoma »

A warning: If it is only a corrupted db, it might not affect anyone, but if it is a bug, you should be carefull.

I experience critical issues when moving Notes between different Note trees, the new location seems not (correctly) stored in the database. In some instances when I move a subtree to a new root note and then delete the (by now empty) original note the moved subtree is deleted as well, even though it is no longer part of that note. I've reported the problem per email, but I am not sure if it is the new 9.6.1 update, or whether for some reason my database is corrupted. I only experience it with my main database and not with older or smaller databases. Optimize in Database Management didn't solve this. I wonder what to do, I'll hope support will give advice.

T.
Last edited by tahoma on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keldi
Guru

Re: Moving Notes within the Notes tree

Post by Keldi »

@tahoma
Glad you wrote about that here. I thought I just had a glitch with my database, now I know that it wasn't it and I'm not alone with the issue.
If the issue persist, it's really concerning. It's easy to not notice the notes being deleted when they are not even in front of you as you delete a note they shouldn't be connected to any longer.

So here is my experience.
EPIM 9.5.2. I had no issues with moving notes.
EPIM 9.6. I didn't spent enough time with it to tell if the issue appeared there or not.
EPIM 9.6.1. In one of my databases I had the issue with moving+deleting notes within a tree.

I dragged 3 notes from one parent note to another, then deleted the now-empty parent note. The notes that now were under a different parent note went to the trash can along with their former parent note.
I restored everything back, repeated dragging the notes and deleting. The same result, the sub-notes were deleted with no-longer-their-parent note.
Tried it several time, found out that if after dragging notes I reopen the database, they are shown on their former place and not where I have just dragged them.
Then I synced the database to a new one with EPIM Synchronizer. The issue didn't go away.
Tried to reproduce the issue in a clean database and in my another database, no luck.
Then in the problem database I clicked on Modify for each of those sub-notes and choose the new parent note for them from there.
After that I deleted their former parent note and it worked fine.
Couldn't reproduce the issue after that by dragging notes in that database, so I thought it was some weird one-time glitch.

I'll be keeping my eye out for something like that happening again.
tahoma
Guru

Post by tahoma »

Hi Keldi, you're not alone with this issue. Great you responded!
I've also tried different scenario's, and they are very consistent with yours, (I haven't used the Synchronizer). Just as you experiences saving and opening restored the moved notes on their original location. I also noticed that if I applied a Modify - Change icon on the receiving note, the 'moved' notes were back on their original location. Moving the tree by Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V was my solution. It seems to be gone...

Please try to recall, for it might be a clue: I seem to remember that I Ctrl dragged (part of) the affected note tree to the new location before the misbehaviour started. The note is thus copied to the new location, (it shows a little + sign while dragging it, as you are probably aware of). In my situation the note tree contained information that I wanted to use at both locations. Maybe that moment the issue was initiated?
Last edited by tahoma on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keldi
Guru

Re: Moving Notes withing the Notes tree

Post by Keldi »

No Ctrl in my case.
It looked something like this:
root note
--note1
--note2
I created 3 new notes under note2, pasted some information into them, edited them for some time, then dragged them under note1 one by one with the mouse. Then deleted note2 and was very baffled as 1,2,3 disappeared with it. Still have no clue how to reproduce it.
tahoma
Guru

Post by tahoma »

I can reproduce it and send my GIF video's to support. For me the issue appears once you grab your note2 tree and Ctrl-drag it onto one of the subnotes 1,2 or 3. (So onto oneself).
Last edited by tahoma on Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unfortunately we couldn't reproduce the issue so far. tahoma, would appreciate if you forward us your video file. Thanks.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
tahoma
Guru

Post by tahoma »

@Admin, in that case I'll send them again (that created a new request (42751))

(I did not mention that the included GIF files are actually moving GIF's, so maybe you failed to notice that)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you've forwarded them before, no need to re-send. In any case, will have a look, thanks very much!
Keldi
Guru

Post by Keldi »

After some more testing I managed to reproduce the issue on a new database, clean installation of EPIM Portable Pro 9.6.1.
It seems the problems start when the note has tags.

Steps:
1. Add to root Note1 and Note2.
2. Add Note3 as a child to Note2. Add a couple of tags into it.
3. Rename Note3. Switch to another module and back -> the old name returns.
4. Drag the Note3 under Note1, switch modules -> the note is back under Note2.
5. Drag the Note3 under Note1, delete Note2 -> Note3 is deleted together with its former parent Note2.

An animated GIF in the attachments.
Attachments
epim_moving-notes-issue.gif
tahoma
Guru

Post by tahoma »

@Keldi, thanks for your effort. That very good result. I thought I nailed it with Ctrl-dragging, but you did it! I tried this in a portable 9.6 and a can confirm this for that version as well. And it is a big relieve that this also confirms my database isn't corrupted: the malbehaviour is gone when I remove the tags before I move and edit the notes. I got a little desperate yesterday when i found that the issue appeared in sections that I hadn't touched for a while.
Last edited by tahoma on Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
tahoma
Guru

Post by tahoma »

@admin
Do you think you can post here a link to a 9.5.2 version installer?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Keldi, awesome, thanks!

tahoma, please download it here: https://www.essentialpim.com/download/t ... Full95.exe
tahoma
Guru

Post by tahoma »

@admin, thanks for the link

And I tested Keldi's find in the portable 5.9.2. and already in that version it fails. Must have been my New Years' Notes ordering that made it appear now :-)
tahoma
Guru

Post by tahoma »

Any update on this?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure, will be addressed in the next version.