Problem with position of new notes in 9.7

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

todd
Experienced

Re: Problem with position of new notes in 9.7

Post by todd »

This issue is still a major annoyance for me, especially since it worked just fine up until it was broken in 9.7. Way back in 2013 I mentioned that there was a positioning problem with notes and a number of users agreed, because at the time if you added a new note, it went straight to the bottom of the tree.

As I wrote at the time:
This is extremely annoying as I have to enter the note and then position it back to where I entered it every time.

Your team responded and fixed the problem and notes has handled the positioning correctly ever since, regardless of whether the next note had a title or was blank. However, once again I find myself in the position of having to reposition a note after I enter it. I was a developer for 30 years before I retired and I understand that users think that all changes are simple because they don't know the code involved, but at the same time, we know right when the change was made that caused this (release 9.7) and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that the problem could be corrected just to restore functionality it already had. It sounds from your response you don't plan to even look into this any further.

If it makes a difference, I could make it into a new feature request if that would mean you would at least keep it on your radar for the future.

Seriously, I've been very happy with Epim and always look forward to the improvements you make with each release, but notes is my main go-to module in Epim, and this has been a major step backwards for me.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I understand your concern but leaving the ability to have empty notes could bring more damage in the future than any good. The easiest workaround for you would be to use dashes in the note names, for instance.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
todd
Experienced

Post by todd »

Following up on our discussion, I have tried to use the workaround you suggested, with pretty much the same results. I have used both a Period . and a comma , as labels for the note, and either one exhibits the same bug introduced in 9.7 as discussed above.

Attached are 3 screen shots showing an example
Attachments
Greenshot2021-06-25 07_23_46.jpg
Greenshot2021-06-25 07_23_46.jpg (7.02 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
Greenshot2021-06-25 07_24_19.jpg
Greenshot2021-06-25 07_24_33.jpg
Greenshot2021-06-25 07_24_33.jpg (11.18 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unable to reproduce this. What's the sorting order? Please check this out on the new database and on the latest 9.9.5 version. If there's still the issue, please make a short video demonstrating it.
todd
Experienced

Post by todd »

The first video I am attaching shows the behavior I see when I try to insert a note before a note that consists of a blank title or in this case, a period as the title.

Quite by accident while creating the video, I happened to click the Online/Offline icon at the right bottom corner of the window - see second video. Watch what happens when I toggle that Icon on and off. You can see that the note snaps to the correct position when I go offline, but back to the incorrect display when I go back online.

I hope that might give you a further clue as to where to look for the problem. I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

By the way, I used pro version 9.9.5 while creating the video.
20210629_152543 - Copy.mp4
(1.83 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
20210629_153446 - Copy.mp4
(868.55 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Last edited by todd on Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
todd
Experienced

Post by todd »

I did a quick experiment with that online/offline toggle and found some other curious behavior which may help you to find the bug - see video.

In this case, if I start with Epim offline, I get the exact same positioning problem as when I start with it online. The only difference is that the online/offline icon toggle behavior is now reversed, i.e. Offline - incorrect position, Online - correct position.
20210629_161601.mp4
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 90 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the videos. What was the sorting order for the notes?
Going offline/online issue is reproduced, will be fixed.
todd
Experienced

Post by todd »

Thanks for the quick response. Sorting order on the note tree is Custom
Attachments
Epim sort order.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, will you be able to reproduce that on a new database? So far it still works as expected on our side (not counting the offline/online issue, though).
todd
Experienced

Post by todd »

I just pulled down 9.9.6 and tried it. Nothing has changed, including the icon toggle. Let me know if there is anything else I can do from my end.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nothing should have changed in the 9.9.6 version concerning the issue. Please see my question in the previous reply about the new database.
todd
Experienced

Post by todd »

Sorry, I misunderstood. I created a new database and tried it and that seemed to behave correctly.

After the video I followed up by adding some new notes and blank notes and that still behaved correctly as well
Attachments
New Database.mp4
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ahha, ok, thanks for the update. Seems the issue is database dependent. There are usually 2 options in such cases:
1. You create a copy of your database file, delete all the sensitive info from the copy, make sure the error is still there and then forward it to us. Will check what's causing the error and fix that.
2. Synchronize your current database into the new one using EPIM Sync.
todd
Experienced

Post by todd »

Lets try option 2 first. I have used Epim Sync with my phone but have not used it to populate a new local database. What steps do I need to follow?

BTW - I tried creating a new blank database and exporting my entries to it (notes, calendar, pwds, contacts) but the problem resurfaced again after the export.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

EPIM Synchronizer is a separate free app, please see here: https://www.essentialpim.com/pc-version ... ntary-apps.